Just got a new SG Standard in Alpine White

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detroitace

Reaction score
Howdy folks!

I was all set to get a white Edwards SG-80D from Ishibashi when I heard they had discontinued the model. They're replacing it with the SG-85D, but white won't be offered. :cry:

So, I looked on the net and found that music123 is offering this limited edition white SG standard from Gibson. I got one they had as used 'A' guality, but still with the 45-day return policy and full warranty, etc. for about %30 off the regular price.

It came yesterday (free shipping and hsc) and I must say I'm totally thrilled. The guitar has absolutely nothing wrong with it, except it doesn't have the plastic on the pickups or pickguard anymore. I love the fret-edge binding (which I don't think was on the Edwards, anyway) and finish is a nice smooth nitro -- smells great! :D

The pickups are 490R and 498T, neck and bridge, respectively and they sound very good. I like the SDs in my Edwards LP, but these are very classic rock, not quite as tight and focused, but I like their transparency. Anyway, for those who wanted a white sg, this might be an option, although the current price of $1200 might not be so inviting. Like, I said, I think I was lucky with my price.

I'll post pictures soon!

The edwards has fret edge binding, but not nitro :cry:

But a fair bit cheaper :D

I'd be happy with either i think

Steve

But a fair bit cheaper

True, indeed. I was bummed when I found out Edwards discontinued that model. I waited too long to act. :cry:

I wouldn't have gone for the Gibson at it's regular price, but at the used 'A' quality, I felt it was too good to pass up:
Gibson: Guitar, Case, Shipping = $850
Edwards: Guitar, gig bag, Shipping = $650 (from Ishibashi)

Adding in a case on the Edwards might have pushed it up $80 or so, so the Gibson would still have been about $120 more expensive. But then the Gibson has nitro, and the resale might be better because more people know the name.

I'm sure I would have been happy with the Edwards, too. It's an awesome guitar and I know I love those SD pickups. I also like the look of the open coils and may do that to mine at some point.

What's the neck like on the Edwards? If it's like the limited Edition LP it's probably great -- nice and thick. And is the neck angled back where it joins the body or is it straight, like a Fender? The Gibson is angled back a little.

Nice guitar! I have never owned an SG before but I've always had a thing for white ones. I'm not a fan of gold hardware at all but I think it looks friggin 'amazing on those 3 pickup SG Customs...but I digress...

I tried out an old beat-up SG at a music store about 12 years ago which I would've bought in a heartbeat had I not been broke. I don't care about scrapes and dings on guitars really but I couldn't believe how trashed the back of this SG was - there was literally no paint left save for a bit of white around the outside edge. I asked the store owner what the hell had happened to the guitar and he said it was previously owned by an Elvis impersonator who bought it just because it was white and matched his jumpsuit - and you can imagine the size of his belt buckle. :)

I wish I could've bought it just for the story alone! :)

Jim

The Edwards 80SD is same kinda profile as the LP's and G*bson SG standard, but the 85LT2 has a slim neck like a 61 reissue (my mate has one) he wanted an 80SD after playing mine but waited too long, i got my 80SD second hand so it was fairly cheap, only has 2 chips in the finish,

I dont have a picture of the binding itself but you can see it

From this pic it is hard to tell if it is binding or just the white finish i guess but it is definately binding, all my Edwards have binding, but all mine are SD models too so maybe they didnt have it before the SD pickups were used.

Neck is angled, it is pretty much the same as a gibson except it's poly and not nitro... oh how i love nitro finish.

Although it hardly gets played really, i like playing my LP's a lot and the SG sits in it's case a bit, i Think i'll sell one of the LP's so it gets more use cause it is really a great guitar.

Scooba,

Nice looking guitar indeed! Did you get it off ebay? I think I remember seeing that on a couple of months back. But, I failed to act.

Thanks for the pic, but it doesn't look like fret edge binding. Maybe I can't tell from the picture. It looks like the neck is bound all the way around, but I don't see the individual frets with binding like in this picture.

http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=neckleft6ps.jpg

My LE 80SD Edwards does have fretboard binding, but doesn't go that extra step to bind each individual fret, like the Gibson SG does.
It's not a big deal, but it makes a difference when the humidity and temperature changes and the edges poke out a little bit -- they can cut up your hand sometimes.

My mistake, it has neck binding, not fret binding, i put the wrong one at the top of the thread :-?

I may have been drunk...

I got mine from Ishibashi not ebay, i saw that one on ebay too but i already had mine, i think it went cheap too.

Steve

Hi detroitace,

your white beauty is breathtaking - very good deal, I guess. :wink:

I'm not familiar with neither SGs nor white guitars but I must confess - she would have attracted me also ...

Scooba, my Edwards LP90LTS doesn't have got fret-edge-binding - maybe available at the custom models??

Roger

Thanks Tudor!

Yes, she's a beauty, as is Scoobas. There's something about a white SG that drives me wild. I'm embarassed to say that it might be that Spinal Tap played one. I think his (what's his name?) was a Les Paul Junior Special, if I remember right -- it was even cooler! Anyway, ever since then, I've been yearning for one.

I grew up playing a cherry red SG Junior from '63 (my birth year) and never even considered another guitar until I was 34 years old and realized I wanted a rhythm, neck sound. I ended up getting a Seafoam Green Strat Plus, which was an awesome guitar. Sold it ... but that's another story. (That would be a good thread...huh..."which guitar do you regret letting go of the most")

Sowieso Dank f?r die Antwort. Versuchen Sie, ein zu erhalten sich?

Anyway, thanks! Are you trying to get one, too?

Thanks for your good German words ! :lol:

You'll understand my language - I appreciate it! :wink:

No, my friend, I don't actually look for an SG because I'm a LP player and I'm waiting for my '85 Tokai LS150 from Japan. :wink:

That's enough money I've spent for the moment ... had to scratch the funds together ...

But: like the James Bond - title says "You never say never"

... enjoy it ...

Roger

Latest posts

Back