Is this a Goldstar Metallic Blue?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imosdad

Reaction score
I had a great time at the convention on Saturday in Leeds. Amongst other guitars I took along my blue Goldstar. Iain also had a very similar Goldstar but the colour was noticeably different I thought. Thanks to all the knowledgable people there I have taken a few pics of the inside. It's a really great guitar that I bought new from Freedmans in Leytonstone at least 20 years ago (less than 200 quid - I should have bought half a dozen!). many thanks if anyone has any info - do these pics help?

Cheers

Dave

TokaiMarch09034small.jpg

TokaiMarch09032small.jpg

TokaiMarch09035small.jpg

TokaiMarch09036small.jpg

TokaiMarch09039small.jpg

TokaiMarch09040small-1.jpg

Ah, probably my favourite guitar of the weekend. Beautiful. :p

This is the one that still has the 50 sticker on the back of the neck isn't it? That's what I don't understand. These are the two relevant pages from the 1985 catalogue:

File0238.jpg

File0240.jpg

You will see that MB is not a colour choice for the ST50, it was a custom colour, so you could get MB on the ST55 (5000 yen extra). So how come yours is an ST50?

One possible answer - it looks like the code says MR. Or am I reading it wrongly? MR (Met. Red) was a standard colour - you could get it on an ST50, so maybe they chose the neck sticker based on the colour code of MR?

Either way, it has to be MB, I think. LB (Lake Placid Blue) was a bit lighter.

Is that stamp on the pickups VII? Again, I thought the VIIs only came on the ST60?

So, a bit of a mystery guitar, & it's all the more interesting to know that you bought it from new. Any other views on this one?

Mike

Cheers Mike,

Many thanks for the really great info. I think it must be a Metallic Blue too. Yes I did buy it new and it has a 50 sticker. I like the fact that there is a bit of mystery about these earlier Tokais!

Twenty years after getting it I got Charlie Chandler to make the strat-o-like pictured. It really reminds me of DaveW's Mimosa(?) heard on Saturday.

A couple of photos...

TokaiMarch09055small.jpg

TokaiMarch09053small.jpg

Dave

Dave's is a Momose, made by Deviser, who also make Bacchus. John will correct me if I got that wrong, I hope.

Yours looks nice, is the neck as chunky as Dave's? So you're a Marshall man? I got that wrong....

:lol:

I hope somebody else can comment on stuff like the VII pickups in an ST50. That stamp does say MR doesn't it?

Yep, my guitar is a Momose by Deviser who also make Bacchus. It's a Deviser custom shop guitar built by Yasuo Momose some time between 1996 to 1999.

Dave

Might just be the light, Mick - at first glance it looks skinny, but look a bit closer and you see the metallic finish on the curves isn't reflecting much; couple that with the black marshall tolex and it's hard to see exactly where the outlines lie. Certainly isn't pointy in the flesh!

It's the Marshall's fault!

Actually Dave, you don't want a pointy guitar like that, do you? I'll give you ?50 for it.

:wink:

:lol:

DaveWW - thanks for the info. Yours is a lovely guitar!

The blue Goldstar definitely seems to have a 'MR' stamp(?)

My Chandler has a neck profile very similar to the blue Tokai but with ebony fretboard and thicker frets. Lindy Fralin pickups, earvana nut and Wilkinson trem.

Side by side the Chandler is definitely a bit porkier (and heavier) than the Goldstar. So a combination of light and the Marshall amp background enhanced the difference I think.

I haven't found the perfect amp for me yet. I've got the Marshall(s), also use the Rivera Chubster (who could resist an amp with a knob marked 'Ninja') and also the brilliant little Cube that I can use at family friendly volumes in the house. (Extremely impressed with your Cornell Mike for that reason alone.)

Thanks for the offer Mike but I've already given it away to a Romany looking gentleman who came to the door offering to take away any old pointy looking guitars for free!

TokaiMarch09057small.jpg

TokaiMarch09059small.jpg

TokaiMarch09061small.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Back