Help!! I just found a Tokai ES355 copy in incredible condition!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaMoanEssays

Reaction score
Hi there, folks, I HAD an Ibanez Artcore Talman TM-71 silver sparkle that I was in the process of replacing all hardware and electronics, but the a/c kicked on, and it fell off a $15 guitar stand onto a tile floor, snapping the headstock off completely, leaving me without a semi-acoustic of any make. Today I found a dark woodgrain Tokai that might be from 1996, but I'm not 100%. It's immaculate and apparently has been in a case for many years, as I noticed the strings were near disintegration.. Dual uncovered black humbuckers, what appear to be original tuning machines (I would immediately swap them out for some Hipshots I had on the Ibanez). I didn't get any numbers on it because I was in a hurry and feeling awful (disabled), so I just looked it over and plugged into a bass amp to check the wiring and such. Pickups actually sound good, much better than my Ibanez TM-71's which I was about to replace with some real Duncans (not cheap ones, either, I was in love with the neck on the Ibanez). Place is asking $300 and my dad is friends with the manager and can get me a better price. Does anyone know what in the hell this is? Do I go back and get it immediately? I'm not familiar with Tokais but have owned a few '80s Hondo II Professional Fender Lead copies, and have one now that is better than some of my Fenders, Squiers, maybe even my Les Paul Studio (although they're completely different styles of guitar and play with a totally different feel. So if anyone knows anything about what I am looking at, please, please, please give me a shout and say "run back now" OR "run away screaming"!?!? Thanks for helping out the new guy, if I can get back over there today or in the morning, I'll get photos and hopefully some numbers... For the price, I'm considering just doing it and hoping Pops can get it for $200....
Brandon W.

Latest posts

Back