Electra 335 type, MIJ

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jselect

Reaction score
Please help. This is Electra 335 type. MIJ. Made by Matsumoku.
I would like to know this guitar's model name and when did this made??

This guitar has the type of pickup with 12 adjustable pole pieces that can be adjusted with a hexagon wrench, and I imagine that this is probably the high-powered "MMK45" that was found in many Matsumoku guitars, such as Burny and Epiphone.
i-img900x1200-1678419089uvnoo71039485.jpgi-img900x1200-16784190893klcqb1039485.jpgi-img1200x900-1678419089lkmajt1039485.jpg
i-img900x1200-1678419089nwvulz1039485.jpg

Last edited:
The guitar you see in the images has years of dust and debris, but with professional-level polishing, I'm sure it will come back to great shape.

The 335 type of Electra guitar, known for use by Peter Frampton and others, came to my house today.

It was covered in dust, but as you can see with the abrasive for professional use, it regained its shine when it was new. The flames from the top, back to side are amazing.

Elektra is produced by a musical instrument store in the United States and made by Matsumoku Industry in the Japan, and boasts excellent precision. The pickup is an MMK45 manufactured by Maxon, open double black that is uncovered from the start.
The whole thing looks toned along with the black color of the knob, which is cool.

20230318_165155.jpg20230318_165228.jpg20230318_165322.jpg20230318_165335.jpg20230318_165553.jpg20230318_165357.jpg

That's looking spectacular! When you initially posted this I searched the web if I could find out the model and found that everything similar has either block markers, a trapeze tailpiece or the tree-of-life fretboard inlay, so it's not easy to identify. Maybe posting it here could help?

That's looking spectacular! When you initially posted this I searched the web if I could find out the model and found that everything similar has either block markers, a trapeze tailpiece or the tree-of-life fretboard inlay, so it's not easy to identify. Maybe posting it here could help?
Thank you for your comment.

I also visited the forum that you taught me, but the membership registration did not go well, so I decided to ask for everyone's wisdom on the Tokai Forum.

As you said, the dot position, stop tailpiece electra does not hit for some reason even if you look for it. It is strange.

In any case, thank you for your kindness.

When I recently sifted through the Electras here to find a real life example of the first version of the 2242 shown in the catalog, I noticed how much some models were going through up to 6 variants over the years.

Your guitar has probably the most similarity with the 2281 "Elvin Bishop" model and I noticed the stamped serial looking like a 1980 number (and only later models seem to have serials not only printed on a sticker). Even the 1980 catalog seems to list the 2281 still with the tree-of-life inlay though (can't see much on the Vintaxe previews), so that seems to rule out a "later model variation" as well. Another oddity is the TRC, which doesn't seem to match the shape of any other Electra semi-hollows. A fun little mystery. :)

When I recently sifted through the Electras here to find a real life example of the first version of the 2242 shown in the catalog, I noticed how much some models were going through up to 6 variants over the years.

Your guitar has probably the most similarity with the 2281 "Elvin Bishop" model and I noticed the stamped serial looking like a 1980 number (and only later models seem to have serials not only printed on a sticker). Even the 1980 catalog seems to list the 2281 still with the tree-of-life inlay though (can't see much on the Vintaxe previews), so that seems to rule out a "later model variation" as well. Another oddity is the TRC, which doesn't seem to match the shape of any other Electra semi-hollows. A fun little mystery. :)
Wow,deep information. Thank you so much!

I remember a few Electra models (most were Les Paul types) from the mid/late 1970s range when I was a teen.

The serial number on the OP guitar I believe denotes a 1980 production but the overall design is based from the mid/late 1970s era. The bridge and the bridge posts (among other attributes) are dead giveaways.

Latest posts

Back