DRY Z Video

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_9530.jpeg

IMG_9531.jpeg
(1978 magazine advertisement). As usual, it was released in 1978 Tokai's LS series for the guitar industry. It made a huge impact. Surprised by the high quality of the LS, it was ranked number one in the industry at the time. Greco decided to change the specification of the main product EC series , super.

IMG_9532.jpeg
(Super Real catalog) It was a super real series announced in 1980. As a guitar body, it is a quick arrangement. I don't think there were any enemies in Tokai's work. Pickup used only for high-end models Z-DRY was well received by musicians at the time. It's still legendary.

IMG_9533.jpeg
70s guitar makers used pickups - A pickup manufacturer, instead of in-house development, were supplied. In the late 1970s, Dimarzio was the most expensive model. It has become a standard for each company to put in. At that time, Fujigen, the manufacturer of Greco, developed an in-house quality pickup.

Last edited:
IMG_9534.jpeg
Pickup development began in the summer of 1979. "K&T Pickup", a store specializing in old guitars, was in charge of development. It was Mr. Jun Takano, known for "vintage guitars". With the cooperation of Fujigen's top engineer Toshihide Ushimaru development proceeded.

IMG_9535.jpeg
After trial and error, the initial prototype was completed. A prototype guitar with that pickup was developed and Don Felder of the Eagles had the chance to try it out. There is an anecdote that Don Felder liked it and brought it home.

IMG_9536.jpeg
Early prototype pickup. Mr. Takano, who was a little dissatisfied, decided to follow Mr. Ushimaru's suggestion. They used a small amount of USA wire that was in the factory as a trial. Changed to USA wire, the sound is quite satisfying, which is what Mr. Takano is aiming for. A pickup with rich overtones was completed. This is a pickup called DRY later.

IMG_9537.jpeg
When Santana tried this final prototype, he said he wanted it and sent it to Santana. This pickup which was recognized by overseas musicians, was named DRY instead of the previous number. The early pickups had a Z stamp on the base plate and looked like nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
IMG_9538.jpeg
Small talk

IMG_9539.jpeg
To find out the difference with USA wire later component analysis was done of domestic wire and USA wire. Domestic wire has higher purity seems that there were more impurities in the USA.

IMG_9540.jpeg
Nisshin Sonic Pickup Manufacturing Process

IMG_9541.jpeg
I think there are a few people who think that Z-DRY is made by hand winding, similar to the U series.
Mass production at Nisshin Sondo it was done.
Winding machine and winding of those days in photo.

Last edited:
IMG_9542.jpeg
This is a structural illustration of a pickup.
Also, please enjoy the photos of the assembly process at that time.

IMG_9543.jpeg

IMG_9544.jpeg

IMG_9545.jpeg
After the assembly is completed, it is inspected. Put the guitar strings on the stand. Testing with a regular guitar amp. You can tell from the photos that it was very analog back then.

Last edited:
IMG_9546.jpeg
Postscript

IMG_9547.jpeg
DRY is popular overseas and many counterfeits are on the market. If you look at the serial number and bobbin, clearly fake items can be identified. Z-DRY has two numbers at the beginning of the serial number, 82 or 20 or 21, it's going to be. Number 2 is the number of three winding machines. It looks like it was wrapped around number 2.

IMG_9548.jpeg
Although it is a Z-DRY bobbin, it is because the U series bobbin was diverted. There is no square window where you can see the wires, and the fixing screws of domestically produced pickups are usually 2.6 mm. I use it, but I use 3 mm like the U series

IMG_9549.jpeg
This time around here and in the next video.

IMG_9550.jpeg
Thank you for your viewing.

Last edited:
I wonder why Japanese call the pickup "Z-DRY",
and you call them "DRY-Z".

I call it that because everyone in the West (or at least English speaking people) seems to.

Z Dry I assume is an eastern way of saying things as they structure sentences and phrases differently.

You can call it whatever you like. The pickups don’t care what you call them.

I call it that because everyone in the West (or at least English speaking people) seems to.

Z Dry I assume is an eastern way of saying things as they structure sentences and phrases differently.

You can call it whatever you like. The pickups don’t care what you call them.
I am in Japan, but I do not like to call them Z-DRY.
I like to call them DRY-Z.

Back