Different headstock shapes for ES130 '07???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12guitdown

Reaction score
The question is the subject. I recently started a topic about a purchase for 2007 ES130 and wanted some opinions first about authenticity and somebody responded with THIS:

"be carefull. i dont see any pics of the acual headstock shape at the top. might not be the gison style open book might be the doudle hump model. watch out!"

Now, look closely at the photo.
Here's the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230173502251&indexURL=4&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

To me it seems that there's a little hump where the "V" should be. I've contacted the seller for a clearer photo of this. We'll see what happens. So, can anyone shed any light on this?

Gary
________
Zoroastrianism advice

OK. The owner just sent me some pics. And it is very clear that the headstock has a little 'Hump" where the "V" should be. I have never seen a Tokai headstock like this. It looks stupid compared to the open book!

I want to thank Leftdan for pointing this out.

So now I just need someone to tell me what this means.

Gary
________
ZX14 VS HAYABUSA

12guitdown said:
OK. The owner just sent me some pics. And it is very clear that the headstock has a little 'Hump" where the "V" should be. I have never seen a Tokai headstock like this. It looks stupid compared to the open book!

I want to thank Leftdan for pointing this out.

So now I just need someone to tell me what this means.

Gary

It's correct with the dimple (type in "dimple" in the search section and you'll find plenty of posts regarding the topic). The dimpled models are for those exported to the UK market.

Anything imported into Europe and specifically the UK has to have the modified headstock to get around copyright law.

Very occasionally there might be the odd one that sneaks through the net but this is the exception rather than the rule.

It is quite feasible to see an ES130 made for the Japanese market and one made for the european market otherwise identical apart from the head stock both made in the same year.

Check out our ebay listings - loads of pics of headstocks on there for the UK market. I think we sold that guitar to the guy in Florida and his headstock will be like the ones we have in our shop.

It is a small cosmetic difference which, to me, would not stop me from grabbing a good deal. However, this is a matter of personal taste and what's on offer/relative cost.

12guitdown said:
Well I just saw another ES130 with the same "hump" in the HS. I also saw another one with the classic Gibson openbook. According to these sources, they are both 2007s.

HHHmmmm..... :roll:

Any clarity?

Like I said, the dimple models are for UK export only (ie, those sold for the UK market) and the open book headstocks are for export elsewhere. They can obviously both be built the same year.

WOW! That totally makes sense. Thanks for the input. The one that Hisashi(can I say that here?) has on ebay now has the open book style Headstock.

So if I buy from him, would there be a problem importing that one to US?

I'm just trying to seek out all options before I buy.
________
Arturo merzario

If you as a person or as a company import goods that violate US or international law on intellectual property directly to the US you will be liable.

So the answer to your question is probably: yes.

Hisashi is one of the most reliable (and quickest) sellers I ever had the pleasure to do business with.

In any way the dimple does not make any difference in sound or playability. It's a pure collector's thingy.

Cheers. Rupert

12guitdown said:
WOW! That totally makes sense. Thanks for the input. The one that Hisashi(can I say that here?) has on ebay now has the open book style Headstock.

So if I buy from him, would there be a problem importing that one to US?

I'm just trying to seek out all options before I buy.

I've bought a couple from him.....no problems. Just about all of my guitars have come directly from Japan without issue. Only had one go missing in action (walnut finish Tokai SG). Made it to US Customs in San Francisco and then disappeared (dammit, I really wanted that one). Promptly refunded by the seller - he filed the claim on the guitar.

8) i emailed tokai yesterday and got a reply today. they say that those headstock w/a bump is for the uk market only.......the rest of the guitars
specs is the same i think.............................

so gary, are you still going to buy that beautiful es130?????????

joe 8)

Back