Dead mint 2014 ES196VNT

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was it made in Japan I nearly bought one made in China that put me off and I know some MIK

I don't have a caliper on hand right now, so I can't tell you numerically, but the feeling of holding the neck is "thick and solid".

One mans 'thick' could possibly be fairly subjective.

I sold every Tokai ES I ever owned; why? Because the necks were always consistently too thin.
The range includes but not limited to mid 2000s plain ES100, super flamed ES120, up to an insanely flamed and figured 2011 ES185VTN with a paltry neck thickness of .794" at fret 1. :eek:
I finely gave up on Tokai ES examples because of those tiny necks.

My Momose MES1 from 2013 however has a near perfect neck thickness; .886" at fret 1.
The listed average in BOTB for a '59 burst at fret 1 is .883"

Glad to hear you are happy with your newly acquired beauty and glad I didn't bid any higher. LOL

One mans 'thick' could possibly be fairly subjective.

I sold every Tokai ES I ever owned; why? Because the necks were always consistently too thin.
The range includes but not limited to mid 2000s plain ES100, super flamed ES120, up to an insanely flamed and figured 2011 ES185VTN with a paltry neck thickness of .794" at fret 1. :eek:
I finely gave up on Tokai ES examples because of those tiny necks.

My Momose MES1 from 2013 however has a near perfect neck thickness; .886" at fret 1.
The listed average in BOTB for a '59 burst at fret 1 is .883"

Glad to hear you are happy with your newly acquired beauty and glad I didn't bid any higher. LOL
I own Gibson 1959 ES-335TD, and compared to this vintage, I didn't feel that the 2014 ES I got this time had a thin neck. The same goes for the ES100 built in 1981.

On the other hand, a decidedly thin neck is Greco's SA-1200. However, the appeal of the DRY-Z is too impressive, the thin neck is almost non-noticeable.

So, the Tokai ESs that I own are "not a thin neck", for both 1981 and 2014.

I own Gibson 1959 ES-335TD, and compared to this vintage, I didn't feel that the 2014 ES I got this time had a thin neck. The same goes for the ES100 built in 1981.

On the other hand, a decidedly thin neck is Greco's SA-1200. However, the appeal of the DRY-Z is too impressive, the thin neck is almost non-noticeable.

So, the Tokai ESs that I own are "not a thin neck", for both 1981 and 2014.

well, now I wish I would have bid more. LOL

how do you like the pickups?

well, now I wish I would have bid more. LOL

how do you like the pickups?
This morning, I tried to play loudly for the first time since I got it.
I plugged it into the 57 Custom Champ,
and I thought the pickups had a lot of overtones and the nuances of the picking were expressive.

I'm sorry to hear that Tokai no longer produces ES models. However, I bought a 2021 ES-188 last year, and I think it's a fantastic guitar. The top has a nice, subtle flame, and the finish is flawless. It also came with Seymour Duncan pickups. Neck profile is really nice too.341B65D3-4D0C-40A8-BDD9-90E8EFEE4C8C.jpegE0587011-4ED7-4A0E-AF76-BB677646F2A1.jpegC51A2312-6273-4332-8E57-4F2B0AAE7274.jpeg

I asked some musical instrument store in Nagoya about the completion of production and orders for the ES series.
They regularly requests custom orders to Tokai Musical Instruments.

The answers are as follows.

Apparently, the ES model will complete production once.
It seems that Tokai Musical Instruments cannot announce the details in the future yet,
It seems that Tokai has a renewal plan.
Also, even if a new ES model is released as a lineup,
It seems that it will not be possible to accept custom orders.
It's also a big problem for our shop.
Best regards.

Latest posts

Back