Built my own guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siamackz

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
Just completed my first build. I call it the “Wabi-Sabi xCaster”

Why “Wabi Sabi”?
This poor guitar went through more cycles of iteration than any musical instrument should endure! I decided to celebrate the scars it had collected through the process, rather than hiding them apologetically. This idea fit well with my original theme of Wabi-Sabi (侘寂), which I interpret as being a celebration of the reality that nothing is perfect and nothing lasts forever. This guitar has picked up dings, gouges, scratches, and markings from drilling/filling/re-drilling holes and removing/adding wood for patch up work. These scars paint a picture of my journey from knowing nothing about woodworking to eventually building a guitar that I am proud of. Also, I have intentionally stripped some of the paint work and protective coating off the screws, body, etc. to give the natural ageing process a head start. I have added some copper elements to the guitar because of their patina-prone properties, to make further visible the effects of time on the guitar. The idea was to make a guitar that seems to live and breathe, organically changing over time as it grows older.

Why xCaster?
Well, it's a Strat but also a Tele, depending on which angle you look at it from. I love the slabiness of the Tele body, its minimal two-pickup system, and its character-filled bridge pick up. But, at the same time, I like some of the contours of the Strat, and I prefer its headstock design. So, I mixed all these elements up! I also added some unique features of my own.

There is a lot of backstory to every design choice but it was too much to include here. You can visit my website and read more about it if you like (link).

Any builders here?
D4CAE473-2DCA-432F-97C1-FFE869685044.jpeg7E2785B4-1E96-43FB-AA34-B14C02CF0B61.jpeg31348EDF-DC0D-40F1-87A0-A5758C5CD4CA.jpegA5DD418F-503D-4114-9BEC-F947AC504DC2.jpeg2CCE43AF-3178-4AE9-8AC3-3E6E4F10D6EB.jpeg

Looks fun. I haven't built one form scratch, just from parts. Partscaster.

So many folks on line doing amazing jobs with relic'd finishes, etc.

Been meaning to put something together for a set of Keely pickups I have been wanting to try.

Tele copy I assembled from new relic'd parts.

Last edited:
I decided to celebrate the scars it had collected through the process, rather than hiding them apologetically.
That's way cool! I like how it insinuates all sorts of style flavors and looks like it was forgotten in a barn for 50 future years. :)

Just completed my first build. I call it the “Wabi-Sabi xCaster”

Why “Wabi Sabi”?
This poor guitar went through more cycles of iteration than any musical instrument should endure! I decided to celebrate the scars it had collected through the process, rather than hiding them apologetically. This idea fit well with my original theme of Wabi-Sabi (侘寂), which I interpret as being a celebration of the reality that nothing is perfect and nothing lasts forever. This guitar has picked up dings, gouges, scratches, and markings from drilling/filling/re-drilling holes and removing/adding wood for patch up work. These scars paint a picture of my journey from knowing nothing about woodworking to eventually building a guitar that I am proud of. Also, I have intentionally stripped some of the paint work and protective coating off the screws, body, etc. to give the natural ageing process a head start. I have added some copper elements to the guitar because of their patina-prone properties, to make further visible the effects of time on the guitar. The idea was to make a guitar that seems to live and breathe, organically changing over time as it grows older.

Why xCaster?
Well, it's a Strat but also a Tele, depending on which angle you look at it from. I love the slabiness of the Tele body, its minimal two-pickup system, and its character-filled bridge pick up. But, at the same time, I like some of the contours of the Strat, and I prefer its headstock design. So, I mixed all these elements up! I also added some unique features of my own.

There is a lot of backstory to every design choice but it was too much to include here. You can visit my website and read more about it if you like (link).

Any builders here?
View attachment 11282View attachment 11281View attachment 11280View attachment 11283View attachment 11284

I build guitars for a hobby, both acoustic and electric. I've also built a five string electric violin for my daughter. and a Hurdy Gurdy. A couple of CBG and cajons have also been produced.
The way into building for me was to start with setups and mods on cheap guitars, progress to building from available parts, refurbish old guitars (fret replacement and neck resets) then eventually build from the bare wood. I also watched many you tube videos and bought three very good 'how to' books by known luthiers. Theres a lot to learn, about wood, construction methods and assembly angles, string scale lengths and fret spacing. With acoustics you also have to learn to thickness and bend wood. There is also the tricky job of learning to cut mother of pearl and inlay it.
After many builds I would say the only reason to build a guitar is to have exactly what you want by way of wood choice, design and hardware. There is no money to be made and I consider myself lucky if I get my costs back (labour free) on materials used in a guitar build if I sell one. The main problem being that there are many, many high quality guitars on the market now and you could probably buy much better than you could build for less than the cost of some decent wood.
I know of more than one very good local luthier who has packed up and gone back to a "proper job" because he couldn't make a bare living.

Attachments

• DSC01275.jpg
    DSC01275.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00416.jpg
    DSC00416.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00901.jpg
    DSC00901.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00913.jpg
    DSC00913.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01443.jpg
    DSC01443.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 0
I build guitars for a hobby, both acoustic and electric. I've also built a five string electric violin for my daughter. and a Hurdy Gurdy. A couple of CBG and cajons have also been produced.
The way into building for me was to start with setups and mods on cheap guitars, progress to building from available parts, refurbish old guitars (fret replacement and neck resets) then eventually build from the bare wood. I also watched many you tube videos and bought three very good 'how to' books by known luthiers. Theres a lot to learn, about wood, construction methods and assembly angles, string scale lengths and fret spacing. With acoustics you also have to learn to thickness and bend wood. There is also the tricky job of learning to cut mother of pearl and inlay it.
After many builds I would say the only reason to build a guitar is to have exactly what you want by way of wood choice, design and hardware. There is no money to be made and I consider myself lucky if I get my costs back (labour free) on materials used in a guitar build if I sell one. The main problem being that there are many, many high quality guitars on the market now and you could probably buy much better than you could build for less than the cost of some decent wood.
I know of more than one very good local luthier who has packed up and gone back to a "proper job" because he couldn't make a bare living.
Thanks for sharing, Tokairic! Your work is inspiring! I appreciate your perspective - I always wondered how it might be feasible to build guitars in a small set up for a living because it is labour intensive and now factory made guitars run very cheap. There are some luthiers that are doing pretty well for themselves, but they are few and far between and the market is only large enough for the handful I guess. It is a wonderfully fulfilling process as a hobbyist maker though :)

Heres one I built for a friend. Simon, hence the S on the headstock. The S is inlaid maple into bog oak, back and sides are walnut, top is sitka spruce, fretboard is ebony, bridge is made in bog oak, soundhole rosette is inlaid burr walnut veneer.. Soundport is bound in black veneer strip.

Attachments

• IMG_20220217_095439_copy_744x992.jpg
    IMG_20220217_095439_copy_744x992.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220217_095521_copy_744x992.jpg
    IMG_20220217_095521_copy_744x992.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220217_095500_copy_744x992.jpg
    IMG_20220217_095500_copy_744x992.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220217_095351_copy_744x992.jpg
    IMG_20220217_095351_copy_744x992.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 0
Latest electric guitar build under construction. Semi hollow mahogany core with 9mm flame maple top and back (to be shaped) rosewood fretboard and flame maple neck. Lots more work to do before the lacquer goes on.
All my builds are by hand, no cnc at all, basic hand tools only.
Anyone spot the Talbo inspired headstock?

Attachments

• DSC03053.jpg
    DSC03053.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03056.jpg
    DSC03056.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03064.jpg
    DSC03064.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Also built several handwired valve amps along the way, and a valve reverb unit based on the Fender 6G15. Plenty of internal pictures if anyone is interested. Also built 1x15, 1x12, and 2x12 cabs to suit the heads. Nothing over 20w, its plenty for home and small gigs. Three of them also have Voltage Reduction Modules which act as an attenuator.
Its really satisfying to build a guitar and play it through a self build amp. Its a lot of work and not really any cheaper than buying one though - its a labour of love.

Attachments

• DSC00355.jpg
    DSC00355.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00466.jpg
    DSC00466.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01540.jpg
    DSC01540.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0447.jpg
    DSCF0447.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0448 2.jpg
    DSCF0448 2.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02905.jpg
    DSC02905.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 0
Also built several handwired valve amps along the way, and a valve reverb unit based on the Fender 6G15. Plenty of internal pictures if anyone is interested. Also built 1x15, 1x12, and 2x12 cabs to suit the heads. Nothing over 20w, its plenty for home and small gigs. Three of them also have Voltage Reduction Modules which act as an attenuator.
Its really satisfying to build a guitar and play it through a self build amp. Its a lot of work and not really any cheaper than buying one though - its a labour of love.
Exceptional work! Building an amp is the next mission. But parts arnt available here in India, so let’s see. For now I’m on guitar build #2

Exceptional work! Building an amp is the next mission. But parts arnt available here in India, so let’s see. For now I’m on guitar build #2
Can you order from the USA or Canada? If you can, have a look at Trinity Amps, they do some really good kits with everything included. Their instructions are excellent and the customer service is very good indeed. One of the amps I built was from a circuit diagram for their Trinity S3. I wanted to alter a few things and they were happy to offer help and advice.
Good quality transformers are the key to a good amp, then buy the best components you can.

Can you order from the USA or Canada? If you can, have a look at Trinity Amps, they do some really good kits with everything included. Their instructions are excellent and the customer service is very good indeed. One of the amps I built was from a circuit diagram for their Trinity S3. I wanted to alter a few things and they were happy to offer help and advice.
Good quality transformers are the key to a good amp, then buy the best components you can.
Unfortunately the duties are crazy for import to India. But the next time I visit the US I’ll try to bring a kit back. Thanks for the reco

Unfortunately the duties are crazy for import to India. But the next time I visit the US I’ll try to bring a kit back. Thanks for the reco
Trinity are in Ontario, Canada - Trinity Amps
There are others in the USA such as MOJOTONE who also make reputable kits. Amp Parts, Cabinets, Guitar, Bass, Pickups, Pedals - Mojotone
In the UK we have Modulus Amplification Modulus Amplification

All the websites are worth looking at to gather information and ideas.
If you can follow a diagram (easier to do than a schematic) you might be able to source the parts you need in India.

Latest posts

Back