Best Way to Buy a Tokai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorMan

Reaction score
I've been out of the Tokai game for a long time, since about 2005. On a whim I recently purchased an ES-166. in my haste I think I might have overpaid--by quite a bit.

Where are the best Tokai deals found online these days (new and used)? I once bought an LS-150 new directly from Ishibashi music in Japan. Is this still a good option?

Thank you.

Hey, I am 35 years out since my last Tokai😂😂. Trying to figure it out is daunting at times.

I've been out of the Tokai game for a long time, since about 2005. On a whim I recently purchased an ES-166. in my haste I think I might have overpaid--by quite a bit.

Where are the best Tokai deals found online these days (new and used)? I once bought an LS-150 new directly from Ishibashi music in Japan. Is this still a good option?

Thank you.
I would be careful of Ishibashi and the like. I have heard of counterfeit Tokai guitars turning up now, as well as the Chibsons etc.
I managed to buy a new MIJ Tokai from a local UK dealer who got caught up in the middle of the change of distributor etc a few years ago. It was a great price as he thought Tokai was leaving UK and wanted to clear his stock. I still don't know of any actual dealers or who is now handling distribution in the UK.
I have had success with Reverb and Ebay but you still have to be careful and know what you are looking at. Recently I've seen two Tokai Talbo early '80's (two bolt neck) models on ebay at fair prices with not even one bid. I bought a later model (four bolt neck) on ebay for about the same price as a Mexican Fender Strat, which I thought was ok.

Last edited:
I also have a ton of vintage Tokai's. Mainly STs, TEs and LSs. Feel free to reach out.

Latest posts

Back