81 Solid top LS-120

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like (I may be wrong) there might be some confusion about "grain" and "figure" causing the controversy. The grain is running lengthwise/longitudinal from the top to the bottom. That's why you can follow the grain lines only on the long sides of the cavities where you can see the end grain.

a0c85f25efaa269087e84cf7384220f9.jpg

What this pic also shows is that it's sometimes not so easy to see the continuation of the grain lines on a mostly flat sawn figured top, maple is a funny wood. But that's also the place where you sometimes get the dead giveaway of the veneer bookmatching and the glue line of the wood below not aligning like here (that's an extreme example!):

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 23.40.22.jpg

In case of curly maple figure the flames are showing perpendicular to the grain across the guitar. The brighter and darker "chatoyant" strains of wood continue into the cavity if you're lucky. Alas this is not always so clear to see as in this example (I think it's pretty well to see on the pics of the LS120 in question above though):

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 23.21.00.jpg

You can see how the figure continues through the depth of the wood and - if cut into a veneer bundle - could give you figured wood for half of the furniture in your living room or 20 more Les Pauls. :)

Of course, trying to spot a faint line giving away the veneer (which I think nobody did in this thread) is sometimes obvious, sometimes it just isn't. Sometimes a veneer was glued onto a top that has some figure (but probably not very pretty or matching, or only on one side) making this all extra difficult to diagnose from a distance via some pictures. That's why you have to look at (and take pictures of) all sides of the cavity.

Last edited:
Being interested and wanting to see the evidence is hardly making claims or demanding.
It's sad that you see it that way or take offense in. In my case, I was just concerned as there are a lot of fakes out there.
Not to mention that 120's with solid tops are very rare. Which makes them even more interesting.
I can't speak for everyone, but there were no ill intentions in my questions. I never claimed to be an expert.
I never said anything rude or insulting. I assume I am one the "others" you are referring to.
So I thought I should respond. I love these guitars and am just trying to learn all I can about them.
Money shots are easy identifying proof of if a guitar is solid or not. Poor pictures are not.
You should be grateful that you learned something through all of this and have the decency not to bash on fellow
collectors who are interested in your guitar and that you didn't get scammed. So, you don't care that it is solid?
No big deal? lol. You crack me up. It's a big deal. Yet you are making it hard for me to be happy for you. But I am.
Envious even.
That's fair enough...I was not referring to you.

Latest posts

Back