• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1984/5 Tokai Goldstar ST55 Metallic Green

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have decided to put my 1984/85 Goldstar ST55 in Metallic Green up for sale. It?s a great guitar, but I just can?t get on with maple boards ? rosewood always wins as far as I?m concerned, so it just doesn?t get played, & it would be better if someone else enjoyed it. I feel guilty having such a nice Strat that I hardly ever play.

IMG_0553-1.jpg

IMG_0597-1.jpg

There should be enough pics for anybody here:

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x153/stratman323/Tokai%20ST55%20Goldstar%20Sound%20Metallic%20Green%20maple/

I am the second owner from new; I bought it in 2007 from the original owner, who was a bass player, so it hasn?t had much use. There?s virtually no fret wear above the 10th fret, & not much wear below that ? quite unusual on a 28 year old guitar. When I removed the scratchplate, I reckon I was the first person to do that since it was assembled! It?s got a few dings & dongs on the body, the biggest is on the top bout, & that is just 1cm across. A few small knocks on the back of the neck (for the really fussy people!), though it's hard to pick them up on a camera. So, not showroom quality, but still one of the best condition early Goldstars you?ll find.

V1 pickups (does that make it more likely to be 1985?), & all the original electronics, which work just fine. The neck code of 2=4 is the same on the neck butt & the body. Final Prospec saddles, Deluxe tuners, no extra routing in the body, all as Tokai made it. It still has the 55 sticker on the back of the neck too.

For those who haven?t worked out the numbers, an ST55 was a custom colour ST50 ? everything else is the same, they just cost 5000 yen more when new. And the custom colour is MG ? Metallic Green ? one of the rarest of the Tokai colours. I haven?t seen another one up for sale in the last couple of years. It?s darker than any of the Fender greens, & it often looks black in low light, the green comes out in brighter lights. Have a look at the pics, some with flash, some without ? it often looks like 2 different colours. It's a difficult colour to catch on camera.

As an added bonus, this guitar was featured in the July 2008 edition of Guitar & Bass magazine to illustrate Andrew Munro?s article on ?The Guitars That Made Fender Mad?, in their Vintage Spotlight series.

5.jpg

Article here:

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x153/stratman323/Tokais%20Guitar%20mag%200408/?start=0

If anyone wants to check out my credentials, my eBay user name is the same as I use here, & I have 100% positive feedback.

Mike

Now on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=260348940667

?350 to a forum member who wishes to buy off eBay & without Paypal.

8)

Had it been rosewood, then I'd have been drawn in like a moth to a flame. Hope it finds a good home though.

That's a LOVELY colour!

Had it been rosewood, it wouldn't be going anywhere!

It is a gorgeous colour. It was so tempting to swap the neck with the RW board one from my black ST50, and then sell the black/maple combination. But then the 50 & 55 stickers would be wrong. And anyway, I don't believe in messing around with old guitars.

I have a black ST50 too... Fine machines - but adding a second colour one would have tipped me over again. :)

Sold on eBay, & just delivered to it's new owner, who seems very happy. I hope he enjoys it - since he prefers maple necks, he should do.

8)

Hopefully, one day, I'll find another ST55 in the same colour but with a rosewood board.....

Well you never know. :p

By the way, can I just point out that I sold this 80s Tokai without once mentioning the word "lawsuit"? A certain US occasional seller please note.....

:wink:

Latest posts

Back