1981 ES-150 Blonde

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They aren’t 57s….

Catalog specs “ES Jazz” in 1981 on the ES100J.

Check out this thread where I tried to document the changes in humbuckers and untangle the mess.

Tokai Humbucker Models & Resistance

Note the specs in the tables. 57s aren’t mentioned until 1984. I don’t have a 1983 catalog but my ‘83 LS80 had them.

The pickups changed a lot in the early 80s. Head spinning on some models from about 1980-1983. Some higher end models didn’t change as much (DiMarzios).

It’s possible that they are the same pickups. I haven’t found any to measure. Both have white leads, but the branded 57 Tokai PAF pickups don’t seem to show up until 1983 in my observations.

Last edited:
They aren’t 57s….

Catalog specs “ES Jazz” in 1981 on the ES100J.

Check out this thread where I tried to document the changes in humbuckers and untangle the mess.

Tokai Humbucker Models & Resistance

Note the specs in the tables. 57s aren’t mentioned until 1984. I don’t have a 1983 catalog but my ‘83 LS80 had them.

The pickups changed a lot in the early 80s. Head spinning on some models from about 1980-1983. Some higher end models didn’t change as much (DiMarzios).

It’s possible that they are the same pickups. I haven’t found any to measure. Both have white leads, but the branded 57 Tokai PAF pickups don’t seem to show up until 1983 in my observations.
When you say white leads, are you talking about the cover on the leads? Mine has a black cover over the wires. Also, do you think the J model in 81' had DiMarzio's just with a different low wind? Also I will post pics of my R model DiMarzio's on an ohm meter when I finally get the effing thing. I hate waiting!

DiMarzio PAFs are on the rock version.

Not sure what the Jazz pickups actually were. I doubt they were DiMarzios. Probably Gotohs if I had to guess.

And yes. White lead wires.

Not sure what the Jazz pickups actually were. I doubt they were DiMarzios. Probably Gotohs if I had to guess.

According to the chart
Both the ES 150r and 100r are DiMarzio's.
The pic of my pickups at the Japanese auction
are DiMarzio's' But the lead wires are black. ? And the screws are flatheat.
So, you must be talking about the Jazz pickups.

a689a5fdd03528c8f78d1e5e87f7c3af.jpg

According to the chart
Both the ES 150r and 100r are DiMarzio's.
The pic of my pickups at the Japanese auction
are DiMarzio's' But the lead wires are black. ? And the screws are flatheat.
So, you must be talking about the Jazz pickups.
No. We got off on a tangent about the 57 PAFs that have white lead wires. That wasn’t about your pickups. All good in the hood.

Thanks for posting that mdvineng.

Here is the text from your screenshot of Peter's book:

Pickups
Tokai used 4 different pickups for the ES models -the PAF 57,the ES-Rock, the ES-Jazz and the DiMarzio PAF. All pickups used on the ES series were finished with a metal cover.

The initial ES-100 were given ES_Rock or ES-Jazz, according to the literature. I can only summise that one had a lower output than the other.

The PAF 57 was used after the first 2 years and has a small black 'PAF' water transfer on the base.

The DiMarzio PAFs have their brand engraved into the bottom of the plate. DiMarzio pickups were only used over 2 years and only on the ES-150R and ES-200.

Inside the body control cavity, the 500k pots were assembled separately and then placed into the body with the .022uf capacitors, 3-way switch and jack outlet and all set in place as 1 unit but without the PCB used on other models

"Tokai used 4 different pickups for the ES models -the PAF 57,the ES-Rock, the ES-Jazz and the DiMarzio PAF. All pickups used on the ES series were finished with a metal cover."

Note that the DiMarzio PAF was offered on the ES150R as uncovered. Cover optional.

1981 Arch top catalog

Scan 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Just saw this since you were asking about the J pickups.

ES Jazz 8.1 & 8.3k ohm

Dimarzio PAFs
are 7.65k ohm

Distinguish ES 100 R/J pickups

Hunter:

My 81 ES100J....Resistance 8.1k and 8.3k but readings were taken from output jack through cable.

Last edited:
From VintAxe

Flyer for the 1981 ES150R.

ELECTRIC SPANISH

The electric Spanish rock model that announces the new era of semi-acoustic guitar has finally appeared. It features a completely new sound concept that sets it apart from all other types of semi-acoustic guitars. A neck and body structure that perfectly reproduces the materials of the original 60 models. A semi-acoustic guitar for rock musicians, with a total balance of hardware and unparalleled playability, and an "ES Rock" pickup that is full of rock spirit on the body. Clearly assert individuality as New item to dedicate to Carlos Rio and Lee Ritenour Electric Spanish Rock ES150R ¥150,000 Planned price)

• 1981 edition catalog appeared in December. To request a catalog, enclose a 300-yen stamp and write clearly your zip code, address, name, age, and phone number. I will send it to you to print. 7th Tokai Dynamic Campaign Period/October 21, 1980 Until January 31, 1981. During the period, all purchasers of Electric Guitar & Bass, Cat's Eye Guitar, and Martin Guitar 5-String Banjo will receive a permanent poster calendar, American flag, and sticker. For those who return the user's card, we will also present a small gift. In addition, Martin Cross Martin Pumper Stickers will be presented to purchasers of Martin guitars only during the campaign period. (Note) When purchasing a Martin quitar, be sure to check whether the Tokai Gakki "user card" is attached. Martin guitars that do not have one will be void.

cat_1981tokai_es150r_001.jpg

IMG_7282.jpeg

Last edited:
No idea. It is exactly the same bridge reading as the other one I had found on line.

It is weird because the ad doesn't specify that they are different (bridge/neck).

Typical for pickups though to have a range like that. "Your results may vary" as they say.

I had tried to gather more readings because there is usually a range, so my sample size is now 3. :)

The guy I got it from took those out and put OX4 low winds in it. They read 7.2 and 7.6. They had covers but I took them off. They sound great and are not low output like you think they would be for such low readings. And I like the double blacks with the black plastic rings and pick guard. And it opened them up a little. Just enough. But I will be putting the others ones back in when I get some good pots, switch, OIP caps. I just don't like the way the double creams look against the black plastics. But if they sound better... they will stay.

no covers.jpg

Latest posts

Back