1980 LC60M Custom Inkie

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I’m wondering if any of the mahogany top LC60 mahogany top guitars were painted or if they were all stained WR?

Edit: Answering my own question.

Yes. Both came in black.

As for stain, CS for maple top, WR for mahogany.

IMG_2853.jpeg

And it’s looking like the volute and possibly Nagano build is one way to tell them apart?

Last edited:
Also note the hex poles on the LC60M.

That looks like the short lived version of the “LS Dynamic I” pickup. Typically found on LS50 guitars in 1981.

LS Dynamic Pickups

Looks like 1981 catalog specs the pickups as “LC Dynamic”. If it tracks like the LS guitars, the hex pole version disappears before the end of 1981 for the 1982 model year.

Last edited:
And that mention of an LC60S is a bit of a distraction.

I’ve never seen or heard of one other than that reference from 2012.

Probably a typo. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
"The volute was used on the LC60S only in its only year (1981)."

Possible LC60?

No idea what an LC60S is, but the LC60 was obviously made in other years.

1982 catalog

IMG_2868.jpeg

1983 & 1984

IMG_2870.jpeg

cat_1984tokai_traditional_page08.jpg

The catalog seems to suggest that both the LC60 and the LC60M had the volute but we have seen 1981 WR guitars with and without the volute Edit: no, we didn't, so the same may be true for the BB, independent of LC60 or LC60M. Though it looks like the LC60M exists in the 1981 catalog only, IIRC serials suggest that they were made in 1980 and '81, the 1982 catalog has no LC60M anymore, only the LC60 in BB and WR.

Did you do some contrast editing on the pics of the BB? I saw it on Reverb.com and couldn't spot if it has a volute or not, no matter how much I zoomed in! :)

Last edited:
Yep. I brought the shadows forward on the Reverb pic.

And I think that cartoon is misleading. Looks to me like only the LC60M has the volute.

Maybe you will find a volute on a mahogany top LC60. Let me know when you do.

So my view is that Peter meant LC60M.

That the LC60M was made in Nagaino.

That the LC60M ended production in 1981 when the Nagano production seemed to end.

And I am betting the volute is only on the maple top LC60M which is the Norlin copy.

Edited my post, mixed that up in my brain obviously. So the volute is likely a LC60M thing only. Alas there's no 1983 domestic catalog accessible through the net but it looks like the TLC60s don't have a volute either, so that concludes the short history of the "volute Tokais".

Btw, looks like the number count may have re-set each year (1980 & 1981) for the Nagano models.

At least for the LS models.

Tokai In Nagano

(LS models shown)

eee8076df7518653eb7d8f765c915f42.jpg
8f434a517db513ea6188dc31e76320e7.png

That the LC60M ended production in 1981 when the Nagano production seemed to end.
The number of LC60M samples is very small but both of them :) are inkies and one clearly shows "Nagano" features. Coincidentally, the 1981 Greco EG-500 and -600 models are having the volute, too.

1981 arch top catalog.

Love Rock Custom
LC SERIES

"Has there ever been a guitar that has reached such a high level of fusion between modern engineering and craftwork?"

●Headstock: Introducing a headstock with beautiful custom-specific bindings. This binding is luxurious with a total of 6 plies of recream and black on the outside, and the contrast with the gold type peg that tightens the entire head part is full of richness. The logo of Tokai is also perfect, and it fully demonstrates the fun of the top model of the Mari Les Paul series.

●Neck: Like the LS series, the '57 model LC-110LC-100 uses the highest grade mahogany one-piece neck with a neck angle of 18°C, boasting excellent neck strength as well as outstanding acoustic characteristics. The truss rod setting is also perfect. And 2 types of LC60 and LC60M adopt mahogany neck with volute which is reproduction model. Compared to the hold type, the headstock surface is a little wider and the neck angle is 14°, which creates the so-called re-issue model's unique light tension sound. I would like to pay attention only to the custom model, which has become more and more popular in the establishment of fusion music recently. In addition, the fingering of the project team Jiman's fast passages is smooth, and the nigiri shape that meets the needs of high-technical players is a big attraction that cannot be overlooked.

●Fingerboards and fretting: Fingerboards are available in two types: ebony fingerboards (LC100, LC110) and rosewood fingerboards (LC60, LC60M). The position mark is a custom-specific block inlay By the way, did you know that this fingerboard has a considerable effect on the sound quality?! A big factor in the straight and sharp custom sound is the unique sound of this ebony fingerboard. And the LS60 60M's rosewood fingerboard features a milder custom tone, and if you use it according to your personality, it's more than good. Next, there are two types of fretting: ① fret edge binding (LC110, LC100) and ② over binding (LC60, 60M). Details have already been explained in the LS series section. The frets are a little narrower than the standard. Width 2.4mm Height 0.7mm. Be very careful not to fret-file yourself too much and literally turn it into a fretless wonder. Edge processing, filing, etc. are also perfect. It's a perfect neck that you can hear the heartbeat of improvised play as soon as possible.

●Body: There are two types of body for the LC series, the old model ('57 model) and the re-issue model (72 model). A little introduction to the history of the old model... It was 1954 when the custom model was made. One-piece mahogany body with binding on both sides, two single-coil pickups mounted. It made a spectacular debut with nicknames such as Peace Mahogany Neck, Ebony Fingerboard, Black Beauty with Gold Parts, and Fretless Wonder. And in 1957, a revolutionary PAF humbucker was mounted, and it became a 3PU specification (LC110), and a rare 2PU specification (LC100) model. In addition, a considerable number of custom models are also made with optional models, and it is also famous as a model with a large number of custom specifications. After that, as you know, in 1963, it was named SG Custom (current SG body shape), and the first custom model ended here. However, production started again in 1968, and the top was changed to maple. As mentioned above, the LC100 and 110 faithfully reproduce the old model, while the LC60 is a middle-class model with a mahogany top and back, and a jointed neck of the reproduced model. The LC6OM is a modern custom that reproduces the reproduction model as it is with a maple top and mahogany back body construction. It constitutes the rich lineup of the LC series.

●Arched Top: An elegant or beautiful arched top is just as perfect as the LS series. The LC series has a high degree of perfection, with a mahogany top or maple top vividly decorated with curved lines that are flat and flowing at the center. In particular, the warm arched top of the mahogany top combined with the optional color wine red gives off an outstanding sense of color. The clear and deep wine red is the symbol of the LC series. Competing with a unique arched view with a black beauty body.

●Amazing body processing: As you know, Tokai uses an amazing "computer-controlled 3D router". Craft with unparalleled mechanical strength and delicate craftsmanship The perfect replica model with Toman's participation is being born one after another. finishing details The texture is perfect. It should be said that this is true cost performance, and it is demonstrating its ability in all Tokai series such as LS, LC, and ES. And the LC and LS series "Nakaguri Eho" is also amazing. The length is about 38cm, the drilling machine is more than 2m, and the drill is 50cm. It's a work method that can't be imitated by others. These are just one of Tokai's proud technical capabilities. There are still a lot of invisible technologies in a single guitar.

●Pegs: Tuning is the lifeblood of musical instruments, and this peg is especially important for guitars. The LC series mounts the original Kluson GS503 on the LC110 and 100. The LC60 and 60M use Old Crewson Gold type pegs, which are the result of the sweat and tears of the project team. 2-threaded screws provide high performance without rattling, and firmly support the tuning section. Both knobs are resin single knurl type. The reason why I dared to use it for the LC60 and 60M, which are also reproduced by Dell, is because I want you to enjoy the ideal precision and outstanding peg head feeling.

●Pickup: Tokai's technology is also used in the pickup, which is the cornerstone of the sound. The newly developed "LC Vintage" and "LC Dynamic" clearly assert their individuality. Create great custom sounds. It is wrapped in a gold pickup cover like Teru. As I've said many times, this pickup wouldn't survive at all without the perfect hardware. Of course, the mahogany connection of the LC series is intense. The sticky sustain that is different from the maple top is really comfortable. From jersey sounds to hard distortion, it's perfect. LC110 is a familiar 3PU specification in Peter Frampton. Its sound variations are truly diverse, from straight sounds to phase-out sounds. It is a high-quality specification that has condensed lead work and side work into one guitar.

●Mounting ring: Black type mounting ring is used for all models, and the contrast with the gold pickup is goody. The shape is also made with exactly the same dimensions as the original custom, and the rear pickup side is quite deep like the LS series, and even for modified kids, it supports the coil firmly. It goes without saying that the bottom is flat.

●Saucer Knob & Switch Knob: The saucer knob is black on all models. This knob, which has a different taste from the standard gold type, is also interesting because the shape of most of the old model and the current model is different. All LC series models use this old type saucer knob. The switch knob is the same, adopting the old type. It realizes quick and reliable control action for everything.

●Bridge & Tailpiece: The bridge and tailpiece are a gold type with a beautiful finish. All shapes and materials are reproduced with the same materials as the original (LC100, 110). You can also adjust the pitch and string height as you wish. This system called T.O.M (Tune-O-Matic) was also adopted by Custom in 1954 for the first time. A special mechanism with a long history.

●Control source circuit section: Of course, it's no good if the switch and wiring section make noise just because the pickup is humbucking. Of course, this is not the case with Tokai guitars. First, a newly designed printed circuit board was adopted for the controller. By doing this, the reliability of the electrical characteristics is greatly increased, and the maintenance aspect is also improved. Killing two birds with one stone. In addition, the wood inside the controller is coated with antistatic paint, and the back cover is covered with metal. If you do just this, you will get a complete shield effect, and you will be able to deal with any kind of trouble.

●Color: The LC series comes in three colors, the factory original option color Wine Red (WR), the original color Black Beauty (BB), and the beautiful Cherry Sunburst (CS). LC100 and 110 are lacquer finish. The warm and tasteful color creates a good feeling.

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 8.02.46 AM.png

Last edited:
Note that the catalog seems to say both have a volute,

but they also say the LC60 & LC60M do NOT have fret edge binding...

Can't believe everything Tokai says. They often violate their own rules. :cool:

Last edited:
Note that in cartoon it says FEB on all models, but in the description it clearly says the LC60 and LC60M do not have FEB.

Frome the cartoon:

"Fret edge binding (LC all models)"

From the text description:

"Next, there are two types of fretting: ① fret edge binding (LC110, LC100) and ② over binding (LC60, 60M)."

Last edited:
LC60M seems to be the '72 re-issue or "reproduction model" as opposed to the "old model" '57 re-issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the translations! Yeah, it's pretty messy, the other -60 models really didn't have FEB, maybe that confused the writer (but not the cartoon artist).

Loos to me like they all have FEB.

The LC60M CS you linked
15611-28b4423bad92baa7e4e9e8baf2bfbe18.png

the CS in the OP had a re-fret

15401-233fc169039a66aab1ef09b3129f490f.jpg

and guitar hiro's LC60WR

15755-d17dca7195f9802b484252f1e6febbe9.jpg

Enhanced showing inky serial number from 1980 starting with 01...

SN 01??441 ??

Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 7.44.13 AM.png
SN

Last edited:
Back