How do you pronounce Tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only ever heard it pronounced TOCK EYE (or AYE if you're from Scotland). What other ways are there? :eek:

Mike

Hi guys, in australia i've only ever heard it called toekeye or another way to put it would be toke eye , and thats not something that happens after smoking a joint.... :p

Mick

I think for the correct pronunciation we need a Japanese member to contribute.

I used to say Toe kai but now say Tock ai

This guitar repairman that I talked to over the phone pronounced it
Toe key ah.

Didnt sound right but I didnt know..LOL. So Tock Eye. Cool..

Some people spell it wrongly - Tokia. So that might explain why some people come up with strange pronunciations.

stratman323 said:
Some people spell it wrongly - Tokia. So that might explain why some people come up with strange pronunciations.

Maybe you are confusing it with Nokia ! :lol:
In Italy I pronunce it like is written: TOKAI !

When I was in Tokyo last summer, I asked for 'Toke-eye'. The shops knew exactly what I was talking about so it couldn't be *too* far off. That is, if Japan is anything like Korea where you have to be about 98% perfect with pronunciation or they have no clue what you're talking about!

Jason

You're lucky that the shop assistant hadn't spent the 80s in the UK watching TV, or you might have got this Orville:

orville.jpg

He's the green one.....

The ever-helpful internet informs me that "Keith Harris has recently been touring with Orville with a show aimed at adults called "Duck Off"."

Mike

I wouldn't know where to begin describing Orville! I think "his" greatest success was probably the adult shows - hearing a large green duck talking dirty was quite bizarre... :eek:

Back