Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got my first greco, need help.. it's my first Les Paul
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greco/Burny/Tokai

You can add Orville by Gibson & Navigator to that list. If you are looking at older (1980's) guitars Greco & Burny in particular made some cheap & nassty guitars in that period as well as some really good ones.

Carved Maple top, Mahogany back (don't know how many pieces)

1 piece back is nearly always a sign of a high-end guitar, but there are some great guitars such as nearly all Orville by Gibsons with 2-piece backs. A 3 piece top is nearly always a sign of a low-end model.

Set neck, long tenon

Dont worry too much about the tenon.

Solid Body

Yep

Bound fretboard

Cosmetic and plenty of great guitars without this

Rosewood? fingerboard

Brazillian RW on high-end models but makes no difference to the sound.

Gold hardware

Only on LP Customs

Medium(?) fretwire

varies

Tune O matic bridges

ther all have these

Nitrocellulose finish

Again, only found on better models

tulip style tuners
You see quite a lot of old Japanese guitars where these have been changed to Grovers
Funkstylez
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickups:

Burny should have V1
Greco should have Dry Z

correct?
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that he replied in such a manner, i've sent him a very detailed e-mail but i don't think it'll help. If he replies i'll let you know. Why don't you contact forum member "Villager" and negotiate a price for the RR 65 he has, i'm sure he will be very reasonable, it has the better pickups as well.

Mick
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greco dry 1982 and dry z

Burny VH1.
Mick
Funkstylez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope i'm not going off-topic by asking this, but would Burny not be a better deal for me? I am a player, not a collector and i want fret bindings, best pickups, neck and everything else 100% like gibson etc and the greco's seem to have less features overall for the same price, but are simply more rare..
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funkstylez wrote:
I hope i'm not going off-topic by asking this,

It's your thread, so if you want go off your own topic, feel free.

Off-topic is what this forum is good at - that's why it's often interesting.

Mike
Funkstylez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah, but this is the Greco subforum and i don't want to upset any hardcore Greco fans on my quest
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it. If nobody is interested in what you're saying, you won't get any replies, simple as that.
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funkstylez wrote:
I hope i'm not going off-topic by asking this, but would Burny not be a better deal for me? I am a player, not a collector and i want fret bindings, best pickups, neck and everything else 100% like gibson etc and the greco's seem to have less features overall for the same price, but are simply more rare..

Try an Orville by Gibson Reissue, everything you want but normally a 2-piece back. Excellent guitars.

You do see fret-edge binding on some less expensive Burny's, but I dont think they are great guitars, others will disagree though. You're best bet if you want a 'player' is to play before you buy. A lot of the guitars you will be looking at are 20+ years old, things like worn frets, scratchy pots, sunken bridges are quite common.

What sort of money are you looking at spending and what features do you rate as important? Surely great sound & playability are higher up the list than fret edge binding?
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add one point to what John said, I also love older guitars (they tend to have more character), but you do sometimes have to budget for a fret stone or a set-up, unless you have the skills to do all your own set-up work. I'm lucky that a good guitar tech was recommended to me by a friend, and he does good work at a decent price.

Finding someone who can do the work that you can't do is very useful, especially if they are affordable.
Funkstylez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first guitar was 250 euro's which i think was around 370 dollars back then.

I think i'm willing to spend ?1000 eur on my next one which would come down to around $1500USD.
Willing to go higher but only if there is good reason to do so. So basically i want price:quality ratio to be 100% and not like what happened on page 1 of this topic..

I want a guitar that will last me a lifetime, and needs no upgrades besides maybe straplocks when i get it. Sound and playability are #1, Looks are #2.

I don't want just a vintage LP, i want a vintage les paul that destroys modern gibson les pauls in quality and sound and can at least compete with the old gibsons in those departments as well.

The dream color would be white but that is not very important...
Funkstylez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing my vintage guitar homework for like 3 days straight now, starting to get obsessed
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funkstylez wrote:
I've been doing my vintage guitar homework for like 3 days straight now, starting to get obsessed

It's like learning to play mate - it never ends! You know that there is always more to learn. I only joined to find out a bit about Goldstars - now I have 6 Tokais
Funkstylez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing i forgot to add is that i hate on some electric guitars is buzzing frets (who doesn't) I doubt these guitars have it but you could add that to the list of important things.
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you want a guitar that will destroy a modern Gibson for less money that a modern Gibson!!

Good luck

Seriously

An Orville by Gibson Reissue, a 1980/81 Tokai LS80 or a Greco EGF850 SuperReal would all fit the bill. They won't be heaps better than a modern Gibbo, modern Gibsons, despite their critics are good guitars, but they will be better!

If you really want to destroy a modern Gibson then you are going to hve to shell out a lot more cash that that I'm sorry to say.

As for buzzing frets! As Stratman said on a 20 year old guitar a fret dress & set-up are probably going to be required so factor in 100 euros for this, on a quality guitar with no issues than this will stop any buzzing but if you expect a 20 year old anything that's been well used not to have one or two minor niggles that need adressing you are being unrealistic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: