Predictions on Vintage MIJ Guitar availability in 2008

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

villager

Reaction score
here's my guesstimates on the levels of high end Japanese vintage which will come on the market from Japan next year...and I mean ones without issues..

Strats
Greco SE-800 super reals 10
tokai ST-80 around 10
tokai st-100 0/1
Fender JV 65's 20
JV-85's 10
JV-115's 3

LP's
Tokai reborn/old/love rock pre 1981

LS-80 10
ls-100 5
ls-120 5
ls-150 0/1
ls-200 0/1

Greco EGF-1000 15
EGF-1200 5
EGF-1800 0/1

ObG reissues (93/94) 20

these are estimates based on the last 2 years of sales, and current trends in availability....

I have only looked at some models which I am particularly interested in, and have excluded any resales outside japan ..

Of course I may be completely wrong..... :roll:

Interesting thought. I hope some of your numbers maybe a little low - and if there's only 1 st-100 coming on the market in 2008 then I'd like to point out that it's going to be mine!

More seriously, I think I know of 2 st-100s on the market in Japan ....

yes but my point is that they have been for sale for a while, and are not 'new' on the market, I only know of one, but its not all original, with changed PU, and doesn't have the gold hardware, so I would class that as having issues.... please let me know where they are as I would like to have a look at the other one....

of course theres the issue of price as well...so if a guitar comes on the market in Japan at a very high price, then it will remain for sale for quite a while....

but in 2007 I saw 3 claimed ST-100's newly coming for sale, I would only have wanted to buy one of those, as the other 2 had issues, and I was outbid on that one...so hence my guesstimate for this year..

ST100s are very strange beasts.

I also have seen only one in 2007, and the price simply was outrageous (and I tried to outbid Mark before I gave up). :lol:

Just one funny story: when I sold an ST80 a few months ago I've been asked by a senior exec of ebay (the company) if I might have an ST100. She was ready to pay any price I ask for. Of course I did not sell.

Cheers! Rup

villager said:
yes but my point is that they have been for sale for a while, and are not 'new' on the market, I only know of one, but its not all original, with changed PU, and doesn't have the gold hardware, so I would class that as having issues.... please let me know where they are as I would like to have a look at the other one....

That's one. The other is Koiz - looks good but no headstock logo. No price either - but he usually charges about the amount I'd pay after import duty, VAT and shipping, not before.

Hi Rupert - if I had an St-100 I'd say everyone was offering me gold bars for it too! :D Don't want to devalue the goods :wink:

villager said:
i don't count koiz as that one i saw before he bought it..

the other was new to the market

... well. whatever they are - I'm not in the running for either! One doesn't convince me and I expect the other will be too expnesive.

I think there might even be a third with a very slightly modified headstock .... but that's not especially new to the market either :-? Somewhere in Austria, I believe ....

Late last year, I sold my house. I have all the money Paypal account. I live alone as I broke up with my girlfriend. No job and I eat only frozen food from Trader Joes. I have enhanced DSL. I have a large commercial coffee brewer. I do nothing by watch all incoming guitars in eBay, Yahoo Japan, CL on 3 monitors tracking the global markets. So far, I have snagged the following guitars in 2008:

1985 Tokai V-55 w/case, 9/10 (Thank you Mickdal, Guitar God) $365
2000 History ZLC90-CFS 8/10 $440
Edwards 199X Strat copy w/ Duncans, Nitro, 10/10 $266 ( :oops: )
Fender 198? MIJ E series Strat, all original, 6/10 $399
All prices shown include shipping.

I am so happy. All I need now is to find a toothbrush, razor and girlfriend.

Also I need to find out about these things they call barre chords.

i'd get that money out of that paypal account asap now you've made a public statement on the internet about its possible contents......

Latest posts

Back