Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peter Green Manalishi Pickups

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
marcusnieman
Guitar God


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 8764
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Peter Green Manalishi Pickups Reply with quote

From our good friend Larry Corsa at CV Guitars (the US distributor of Faber hardware components)..... I've been considering a set of these for awhile..... here's the technical side:

http://www.cvgshop.com/p75/Manalishi-Pickups/product_info.html


And one of several video clips he has up on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqHf2AvU7rI


He also fully mods and sells guitars.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaveWW
Guitar God


Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Posts: 1451
Location: North East UK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marcus,

I tried some of these in my 1980 LP Navigator a while back along with some Fralins. I'm very impressed with the work done by Larry and the sound he gets out of the guitars he builds. I also love the sound of the P90s he's doing as well now. However, I do think the sound depends a lot on the guitar itself and he says himself, or used to, that he gets the best results from particular Gibson Les Paul faded guitars. I tried these and Fralins in my Navigator but in the end went back to the MkII Tokais that I had in originally and still have fitted.

Dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marcusnieman
Guitar God


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 8764
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWW wrote:
Hi Marcus,

I tried some of these in my 1980 LP Navigator a while back along with some Fralins. I'm very impressed with the work done by Larry and the sound he gets out of the guitars he builds. I also love the sound of the P90s he's doing as well now. However, I do think the sound depends a lot on the guitar itself and he says himself, or used to, that he gets the best results from particular Gibson Les Paul faded guitars. I tried these and Fralins in my Navigator but in the end went back to the MkII Tokais that I had in originally and still have fitted.

Dave


Thanks Dave.... I'm looking to try some different pickups in my Bacchus Classic Series LP..... the stock pickups are great but a little dark for me. I actually have three sets here that I can play with..... some MKII's, a set of Antiquities and a set of Seth Lovers..... maybe I'll start with those first.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mick51
Guitar God


Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Posts: 718
Location: Urbandale, Iowa, USA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:

Thanks Dave.... I'm looking to try some different pickups in my Bacchus Classic Series LP..... the stock pickups are great but a little dark for me. I actually have three sets here that I can play with..... some MKII's, a set of Antiquities and a set of Seth Lovers..... maybe I'll start with those first.


If it's darker, my experience is that neither the Antiquities or the Set Lovers will do it. Since you are US based like me, I would suggest trying a pair of either Peter Florance's VooDo 59s - or 60s if you want a bit brighter - or Wolfe McLeod's (Wolfetone) Dr Vintage. Takes a bit of looking, but you should be able to find a used pair of either (or both..).
_________________
There is no revolution, only evolution..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marcusnieman
Guitar God


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 8764
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick51 wrote:
marcusnieman wrote:

Thanks Dave.... I'm looking to try some different pickups in my Bacchus Classic Series LP..... the stock pickups are great but a little dark for me. I actually have three sets here that I can play with..... some MKII's, a set of Antiquities and a set of Seth Lovers..... maybe I'll start with those first.


If it's darker, my experience is that neither the Antiquities or the Set Lovers will do it. Since you are US based like me, I would suggest trying a pair of either Peter Florance's VooDo 59s - or 60s if you want a bit brighter - or Wolfe McLeod's (Wolfetone) Dr Vintage. Takes a bit of looking, but you should be able to find a used pair of either (or both..).


Thanks Mick.... I like the MKII's in my LS150 but I've also heard great things about the Wolfetones.... problem is that there are so many good choices these days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jacco
Guitar God


Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 2871
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try the Voodoo 60s then, not the 59s for they were too dark sounding for my taste.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
marcusnieman
Guitar God


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 8764
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacco wrote:
I would try the Voodoo 60s then, not the 59s for they were too dark sounding for my taste.


I guess it also depends upon the guitar, wood, etc. Don't get me wrong, the Bacchus pickups are amazingly good - especially the neck - just darker than I'm used to.

Some decent soundclips on youtube of the Wolfetone Dr Vintage
(I prefer to listen to them played clean without any effects so I can hear what they really sound like)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXZu5Ah16fA&feature=related


The Voodoo 59's sound great in this 335 (but it's a 335 not a Les Paul). His website says the 60's have a little more top end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhDLatae_w
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group