Let the healing begin!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicoBluez

Reaction score
See my final post on this subject.

Hisashi is the vendor I purchased the SG from. He sells Tokai guitars on ebay. In the auction there was no mention of any fees to receive an instrument from Japan. Only $120.00 US for shipping. As posted, I had to pay $84.40 US for custom/import tax. I contacted Hisashi and after many email exchanges of denial, I decided to eat the customs and not let the situation ruin my new purchase. I did leave Hisashi positive feed back, but also left the comment of "customs/import tax not clearly stated in auction...seller not willing to negotiate settlement".

Still, my new SG is dream come true.

Chico 8)

The duty/tax paid when importing goods is totally outside the sellers control, it is the law of the country you live in. Here in Europe it amounts to more than 20% of the value of the item + the cost of the shipping.

I think Hisashi is totally blameless here.

I agree. The auction makes no mention of customs/import tax. Only in the return policy is the customs/import tax mentioned for returning items. After my purchase, I received an email of shipment with the surprise mention of customs/import tax from Hisashi.

Chico 8)

There is another Japanese Tokai ebay vendor that clearly states custom/import tax in auctions. I suggested to Hisashi that he should do the same so future buyers are not surprised.

Chico 8)

There are 1000000 ebay sellers in Europe & the USA that don't say anything about import duty for Japanese buyers. Why should the law in the USA be a supprise to you?

ChicoBluez said:
I agree. The auction makes no mention of customs/import tax. Only in the return policy is the customs/import tax mentioned for returning items. After my purchase, I received an email of shipment with the surprise mention of customs/import tax from Hisashi.

Chico 8)

In 9 out of 10 shipments to the US, no import duty is ever charged and I've purchased lots of guitars from Japan including Hisashi (no duties charged on his). Once in awhile it happens - I got stung once as well but it was worth it.

If this is the first guitar you've purchased directly from Japan, too bad that happened. But if it's the first time you got tagged, consider yourself lucky compared to everyone else that pays heavy duties and VAT.

If he had worded the possibility of import taxes or duties, would you not have purchased it? Chalk it up to experience and let this be a head's up to all US buyers - you CAN get hit with duties upon delivery.

I've now bought 10 guitars from Japan and never had an import/duty tax. Statistically, I'm probably due for a charge, but haven't seen one as of yet.

With respect to Hisashi responsibility, I think the buyer should be aware of this potentiality. The seller doesn't gain from this, only the US customs department or a greedy postman. So, why should Hisashi care if you do or don't have an import tax?

Better luck next time. $84 is outrageous. I'd heard of $40 or so, but $84 is out of the question.

-- Bill

I`ve sent a few guitars to the states from japan and nobody paid anything extra. there are lots of Americans on line who buy outside the country and it seems it`s very rrae for folks to pay additional charges...seems to be luck of the draw.

Hi all, Chico bluez, it is totally your responsibility to look into import taxes most countries have them as we are all aware of here. I'm glad you left positive feed back as this has absolutely nothing to do with the seller. :eek:
It surprises me that anyone could be that naive .
Mick

Maybe you should change the title of this thread as well..!!

Hisashi's auction should have verbage as to possible customs/tax import costs. Face it, anyone one of you who deals for the first time with an out of country purchase, and as another poster calls it "gets stung" would be slighty un-nerved. I now understand what's at stake and wanted to share my partially bad experience so that others can be aware.

Hisashi's shame is in the auction language.

I am very happy with all the other aspects of the deal and have a wonderful guitar to show for it.

Chico 8)

Chicobluz,
I have had over 300 guitars shipped from Japan-Never paid a dime import Duties>>What are youz talking about?
Maybe you live in a Sanctuary City? Waukegan , IL???

I fail to see how it's Hisashi's responsibility to inform you of the laws of your own country.

PS I believe under most state laws in the US you are expected to pay sales tax if they neglect to ding you when it passes through customs, on the "honor system" :roll:

Chico it sounds like you just don't get it, IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE IMPORTER TO PAY ANY TAXES AT YOUR END.It has nothing at all to do with the seller. :eek: :eek: :eek: You should ask any questions you have, or look into it before you buy. Hisashi has to worry about all the charges at his end, why should he worry about yours. !!

Mick

Hi there!
I think it would be fair to change the name of this thread!

cheers, "ACY"

if you are a member of other sites on the web you could have asked your fellow countrymen if they`d ever paid duty on imported guitars. I`m not sure how an on line Japanese seller could possibly know if an American would be responsible to pay duty when evidently Americans don`t even know. You could have asked the Americans here.
Life is a series of experiences...add this one to yours.

I'Ve bought two guitars overseas and never heard of a import Tax, or duties tax. Im am also not aware of the responsibilities of what other countries have to do when they buy out of the country..

Sounds like you just drew a random stroke of bad luck... :-?

It should be "ChicoBluez...Shame on you!"

It's your responsibility to know about import taxes. I'm glad you left positive feedback, negative would have been VERY unfair on the seller.

As with most purchases - "Caveat Emptor"

I find this thread offensive. When I saw the title, I got the impression that a seller whose auctions I've seen on a frequent basis and have considered buying from had done something less than legitimate. Had I not read the content, this would be the impression I would have been left with.

It turns out that someone is whinging about having to pay import duty. Well, for the benefit of all you who have "never paid a dime in duty", I have imported more guitars than I can remember and I believe there may have been one occasion when I didn't "get stung". On all other occasions I have had to pay anything from ?50 to ?150 - that's $90 to $280 approximately.

Excuse me if I don't feel vast amounts of sympathy for someone who has had to shell out what for us in the UK would be a pleasantly small amount for duty!! The fact that it seems most of the time US customs officers are scratching their rears instead of sending out demands for duty is something you should be grateful for.

What is totally outrageous, however, is that the person starting this thread wishes to damage the reputation of a previously respected seller for no reason other than their own ignorance and misguided assumption having let them down. As Sneaky says, how should Hishashi know what your country's laws are if you don't?!

Is Hishashi also meant to tell you that just because you bought the guitar you may not be able to play every riff Angus Young ever performed on an SG just because you once saw an AC/DC video?! He is not telepathic nor a mind-reader.

I would suggest this thread should have its title changed but kept on the forum as a reminder to people about unreasonable expectations/assumptions when involved in transactions.

Latest posts

Back