Pics of my new ES130

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12guitdown

Reaction score
Finally, I got around to posting some pics. I've now had it for about two months. Replaced the amber top hats with mirror cap knobs, plain gibby trussrod cover and strap locks(schaller). I'll be swapping out pu's and all electronics soon. The flames are outstanding on this one! Btw, I got the neck all straightened on this but the nut slots need to be opened up a little more. Thanks guys.
Enjoy,
Gary

ES130023.jpg
[/img]
ES130011.jpg

ES130025.jpg
[/quote]
________
IPAD GAMES

Gary,

Congrats ... she's so beautiful ... although I prefer sb ... :lol: :lol:

... and the changes are actually an upgrade on the overall look ... good job !! :wink:

Roger

Hello there, lovely guitar, hopefully get mine in a couple of weeks, waiting for Richtone to ring to say its been delivered.

Two quick questions mate, im planning on changing the amber tone covers to black ones, is it easy to do (as in pull them off and push new ones on?)

Also, i wanted to change the truss rod cover as well, where did you source yours from, IMO they look a lot nicer than the tokai standard ones.

Thanks,
James.

stratman323 said:
Nice. :p How do you mean, you got the neck straightened? :-?

Mike

I'd used the term loosely. Recently I posted some problems with the setup of the guitar and simply "tightened the trussrod" a bit, and all is well. There was nothing wrong with the integrity of the guitar.

Gary
________
Free gift card

JJBennett said:
Two quick questions mate, im planning on changing the amber tone covers to black ones, is it easy to do (as in pull them off and push new ones on?)

Also, i wanted to change the truss rod cover as well, where did you source yours from, IMO they look a lot nicer than the tokai standard ones.

Thanks,
James.

Hey there. Changing the knobs was a little challenging because they were stuck on there pretty good. Basically I took a small screwdriver and put it underneath the knob with the tip on top of the pot nut and pried it just a little. and then rotated the knob a little and did it again. I repeated this procedure until I could feel it release and then lifted it off with my fingers. Some were easier than others.
The new knobs were a little big. Meaning I had to open up the split shafts. And if you've done this before, you know easy it is to bend only one side of the split shaft, the knob will be tight but it will rotate crooked! You don't want that. So to open up the split shaft evenly, insert the screwdriver, preferably a larger one to control the leverage better, into the side of the shaft. Turn it one way, say, right. Only til you feel the right tab move a little. Then turn it left only til you feel that side move a little. Now the shaft is opened up evenly and the knob should rotate parallel with the surface of the guitar. You get the idea.

On the truss cover, I had to drill a new hole about an 1/8 inch north. I kept the hole closet to the nut, mounted the new cover to it, and used the cover as a marking template. Removed the cover and piloted the new hole. I made sure to wrap electrical tape around the bit as a depth guide and safety feature. Make sure to double check the depth. I also used the original mounting screws as the new ones were a little wider.

The parts I used are original Gibson replacement parts, easily found on ebay(US) which most of them ship worldwide.

With a little patience and common sense, you'll have an easy, gratifying makeover.:wink:

I hope this helps you out.

Gary
________
Ducati 888

have you swapped the neck pick up as it seems to be facing the wrong way

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. Good eye there. I did flip it in hopes to decrease some of the boominess. The change was subtle but effective. Lowering the poles on the 6,5, and 4th strings did even more for it. I play with the vol on 8. Because, between 8-10, there is a HUGE freq increase in the bass with little vol increase. This, however, becomes too unbalanced for my tastes. I wonder if you ES and even LS owners experience the same thing with the neck PU?

Gary~
________
Rhode island marijuana dispensaries

Hi Gary and congratulations! Very beautiful flames on yours!

Just one comment on the TRC: the difference between Tokai drillholes and Gibsons is as you mention.

However, if you order the "old stock" bell TRC from StewMac it would be "just" right.

Cheers. Rup

Hi Gary,
yes, they do. They are "smaller" at the bottom end and are just a tad shorter.
Cheers. Rup

Of course there are.

The "Open Book" headstock is available in Japan only.

The export version as you can buy in the UK and Canada has a "dimple" on top.

gaijin said:
12guitdown said:
Yes it is.
ES130030.jpg

Are there different versions of the ES130?. Because mine has a Gibbie-esque headstock.

Besides the little bump in the middle of the HS, that's the only difference that I know of. The ones exported to the UK will have the little bump where as the Tokais not intended for export will be a true, open book style Gibson. I think it has something to do with the Gibson/Tokai lawsuits. Where did you get yours from?

Gary
________
HONDA XR250

Hi Gary! That's the only difference. Gibson was able to copyright their "open book" some time ago.

I got mine from Japan of course. I used to work for one of their majors.

Cheers. Rup

Latest posts

Back