need recommandation

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etzel

Reaction score
because i could not get any response from u guys, i am back, in another way, trying to get some help buying a Tokai.

i am looking at the range of 700-900 euro...but not sure what to look after. i know what i want, but dont know which of these can get me there. i need something as close as possible to a Gibson, that humbucker full sound for rock-hard rock.

what to look after: older models? which ones?
newer ones? which one?

recommend me something

thanks

I payed US$600 for a 98 Love Rock Ls70-F
Mahogany back , Maple top, Sycamore Veneer
Lovely guitar
I'm only a weekend warrior ,but this thing REALLY rocks man.
Build quality exeeds many of the G***n's i've seen, and the one LP JR I own

The sound is......... well my Fender Strat doesn't come close, but I like my STRAT sound for some songs, same for the LP JR, that kicks ***, but for versatility
TOKAI ALL THE WAY

77_12_s.jpg

6f_12_s.jpg

7a_12_s.jpg

Hope this helps!!

I don't know if this picture will post properly but here's one of my LS75Q. Fantastic fit and finish and very playable. I keep my guitars stock and I like the sound of the MKII pickups - they suit my 1st generation punk style (Clash, Pistols) sound and I don't need anything hotter.

You honestly can't go wrong with an MIJ Love Rock and if you need to change pups for your heavier style, then you should still have some money left from your budget to do so.

John.

johny642000

How did you manage to do that - I've tried several times using the img tags but never succeeded?

Reminder - must improve my photography....

One had to get rid of the "?action=view&current=" out of the thingy between the "img" tags. Nerd stuff, not really worth spending too much time getting into, although it can make sense I guess, watch out for those question marks.

Really liked that "I keep my guitars stock and I like the sound of the MKII pickups - they suit my 1st generation punk style" comment btw, makes me wonder if heading down the P90 route is really something I should be doing, considering I play a lot more like Steve Jones than Miss Ness.

( lusting after a P90 Goldtop )

Thanks, Skalie - I'll know for next time....

Now on the subject of P90 Goldtops, you might have seen my thread on LS145s - I've just ordered one from Hisashi and am waiting for its arrival any day now...

The reason is that a lot of the early punk stuff was recorded using Les paul juniors but I find them too light, so I wanted something with P90s which was a bit more substantial in the hands - plus the LS Goldtop looks like a thing of beauty.... The sound I'm after is more Mick Jones/1st Clash album...

On the subject of Steve Jones - I went to the Pistols gig last Wednesday at Brixton Academy... I was sceptical about going, but it was actually a great gig. To hear those songs played with full force by the original Pistols was really something to behold!

All the best,

John.

Yeah, sort your photography out Johny - I'm looking forward to seeing your new Goldtop, and trying it out at the UK convention early next year (if you can make it).

As you might have gathered, I'm more into blues than punk, but I have to admit that Steve Jones is a pretty useful guitarist. Didn't he use a LP with humbuckers though? I think if I was aiming for that sort of sound, I'd use a Tele on the bridge pickup - a Tele can sound so aggressive, if that's what you want. I guess it worked for Joe Strummer. :p

Mike

Hi!

I think that Joe never played P90s during the 70s. He always was very easy about his rig. Just listen to Sandinista.

Btw: Punk is back!

Rup

I thought he always played a battered old black Tele? Fender make a Joe Strummer Tele:

http://www.fender.co.uk/products//search.php?partno=0133900750

Interesting that they go for a relic effect with a polyurethane finish. Does that mean it's Mexican?

Yes, the Joe Strummer Fender is Mexican - it's been well-reviewed in this month's Guitarist mag, but I won't be wanting one - I have my Breezysound for the tele-moments in my life.

Steve Jones's main guitar is the cream Les paul Custom with humbuckers. It's the one you can see him playing in the God Save the Queen video from 1977 and the one he supposedly nicked from the Hammersmith Odeon when Bowie was playing there in the early 70s. It's also the guitar he played exclusively at the gig last week. Nice to know that in these days of GAS, Steve's kept faithfull with the one guitar - makes you think if you really need that Goldtop with P90s...at least for a second...

Still, I'm at a dangerous age and lusting after guitars stops me thinking about sex with younger women...at least for a couple of seconds...

best,

John.

Johny642000 said:
It's also the guitar he played exclusively at the gig last week. Nice to know that in these days of GAS, Steve's kept faithfull with the one guitar

..... remember reading somewhere that he's not above flogging that "exclusive Steve Jones guitar" on the fleabay whenever he needs a bit of dosh.....

:)

He sells them all the time as 'the original'...but now he plays a Burny LP Custom, not a Gibson.
The guitar you are talking about, he got from Syl Sylvain of the Dolls, when Malcolm McLaren was trying to get Syl to be the guitarist in the pistols before Steve Jones....anyway, back on topic....

I have seen a LC53 in white that took my fancy...any good? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Adv,Chris

Back