Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nice one...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i agree with all that, and remember it well.. but checking is not the only service that i pay him for, theres a fair bit more involved...I specifically ask to check for neck breaks or any major problems, I do not ask him to set up and test play every guitar.....

I have to disagree with your opinion, I don't think that i am getting ripped off at all!!! he has saved me a lot of money and hassle ....and I simply could not aquire the rare guitars that I do without his help and guidance....

i see hundreds of guitars from Japan, some have minor issues, most do not, but there are quite a few which, thanks to my buyer, dont get as far as shipping and are returned to the seller, or checked out by my buyer, and a recommendation made not to buy, which i usually follow...

i dont really mean ''perfect''.. as, of course, thats not always the case with vintage guitars... I should have said ''perfectly as expected'' ie no serious problems of which i was not aware....sometimes my guy misses things, and sometimes I miss things too..however, when you are talking about something as rare as an LS-200, I would still have bought it even had i known of the issues,

there will always be an occasional guitar with minor issues that are not always apparant to me, and that only appear after playing for a while, thats why I have my 1 month exchange policy..

once again apologies for the problems with the LS-200, but I am happy with the service I get from my buyer, and happy with the cost..

everyone makes mistakes occasionally, and when I do, then I will always try my utmost to resolve them....

re the 1800 have a look at my site...heh..something nice there..
Ikkyu
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester Polfus wrote:
However I was intrigued to read your statement:-

'each guitar is checked before i get it, and returned to the seller if not perfect... and the fees i pay for this are rather higher than 5%'

You will recall when I received the guitar from you there were two significant issues I would have expected to be covered by the above statement, but which you freely admitted to me you didn't notice.

It's a long time I didn't come and I just saw this topic. I have to agree with the guy above. I've bought a nice guitar, at least for me, but I'd rather avoided to state "EXC conditions" when she had the same problems: collapsed bridge and noisy buzzing frets.
I wondered 'cause the first thing anybody who play guitar notices it's the buzz. It's seems the number of guitars with these problems increases.
Same story for a friend of mine: collapsed bridge.
Also. Something alse that bothered me a little it's the '60 slim taper neck. When asked the answer it's been "not thick as a '59 but not thin as a '60". I had the chance to try a real '60 last week and the neck it's indentical to mine.
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lads ..I try my best...sorry things can not always be perfect...these are vintage instruments and sometimes there are some issues, usually easily resolved...

....Ikkyu ...

If you had any complaints about the guitar I sold you, you should have addressed them to me when you received it...since i heard nothing from you then i assumed you were happy with the guitar....

a partially collapsed or warped bridge is fairly common on these vintage guitars, and can be difficult to spot depending on the severity of the warp.....and I will not usually change the bridge for a non original part...

fret buzzing is due to low action...not really an issue if you know how to raise a bridge....

so if you had told me that you had to buy a new bridge and raise the action then I would have offered you some small compensation at the time...but you said nothing so how do you expect me to know?

EXC refers to the overall condition of the guitar, on an overall basis....ie no major dings cracks or neck problems...

to be frank, i do not see a warped bridge, or action set too low as a major problem, sorry that you did...as to the neck size..well the model you bought is described as having a 50's neck....I agree with that....you must realise there is no set measurement for this parameter, and my description of neck size is a subjective one based on experience...there's a lot of variation in neck size for both the 1959 and 1960's gibsons...and so the line between 50's and 60's style is somewhat vague...

If you buy a guitar off me and you don't like it then you can simply exchange it ...but you have to let me know if you want to do this at the time of sale....if you dont tell me there is a prolem then i can not do anything to resolve it ...

once again I am sorry you were not completely satisfied with the guitar..but apart from offering a complete guarantee and exchange option, theres not much more I can do ....every guitar cannot be 100% perfect, and all guitars need adjustment to your particular playing style.....
Ikkyu
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with the guitar and I like it, if not I'd told you as soon as I got it.
But when you say "partially collapsed" bridge... well if you get a guitar take a pic of the bridge and send it to me, I'll tell you istantly and without any chance to be wrong if she is playable with that "collapsing".
Also what you stated "fret buzzing is due to low action...not really an issue if you know how to raise a bridge.... "
Let's be serious. I play guitar since I was 6 or 7, I'm now 44 so I had the chance to play guitar for a long time, extensively, probably of all types.
Thank God I know how to raise a bridge and set it up to play comfortly. If the buzz is on 3 fret, then on 7 then on 14, on 2nd string, then on 3rd, on 4th... well listen to me: it's due to the frets coming off the wood. And a part it's due the collapsed bridge.
If you think buzzing frets it's not a big problem... it's just you can't play because tall frets.
Anyway here's a little trick for you: if the 1st and 6th strings don't buzz and the others do, there's a big chance it might depends on the bridge that became a banana.
Simple as that.
The neck sizes. The modern guitars are much more accurate than old ones, obviously, because the CNC machines and so on.
But the different neck average sizes in the years are well renown: 57-58 the biggest necks, 59 big even if not that big, 60 slim tapers.
Of course there could have been differences between two necks built on same day, but millimeters or a centimeter at the most.
The 57-58 were almost the double the 60, usually, with the 59 being quite thicker.
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few mm is a lot...
Ikkyu
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, depending on hands size
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: