Seymour Duncan Convertible valve amp

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Does anyone know anything about these amps? Or own one? I've seen a couple sell on eBay recently for less than I expected (last one was ?175), and I was wondering if they are any good? That seems very little money for a 60W valve combo with replaceable sound modules?

Mike

I remember very mixed reviews at the time Mike ,which was surprising cosidering Duncan`s reputation. Gabe.

Mike - steer clear of them mate. They can be very temprimental.

If you fancy a 80's obscure amp then keep an eye out for a "Bedrock". The BC series was popular. Check out the Bedrock website and reviews on Harmony Central.

They were imported into the UK in the late 80's/90's but never caught on. "Little Rock" were another sweet amp around about the same time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bedrock-BC-50-2x12-Combo-MINT-amplifier-amp-tube-USA_W0QQitemZ260186045322QQihZ016QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks, but I'm not sure I want something that sounds like an AC30. The only other amp that I'm really tempted by is a Fender Vibroverb 2x10 combo. Even though it's not a proper twin channel (no master volume), it's a great sounding amp, but you don't see many of them, and they're not cheap (I've seen them go for around ?750 s/h).

A Peavey Classic 30 would be a reasonable back up amp for my Fender Blues Deluxe, wouldn't it?

Mike

If you want master volume then push the boat out and buy an original early 80's JCM800 50w combo. It will hold it's value and is the last decent amp Marshall made. They are 10 a penny in the UK. The Peavey is ok but not exactly inspiring in my book. The Laney LC15 is a nicer amp.

The vibroverb is a nice amp. I have a early 90's example in cream and a 64 blackface 1x15 original. The newer one doesn't have the tube rectifer like the original and it's also mounted on a PCB but they sound quite nice all the same.

Sorry, I really wouldn't want a Marshall in my home! Don't like the things at all. :-?

It was an early 90s re-issue Vibroverb 2x10 I was looking for - the 60s ones are too rare and too expensive, & I don't know enough about them to know whether or not I was buying an original or a fake. I've heard a few 90s Vibroverbs, and they are one of the few small amps that I actually prefer to my old Blues Deluxe (which has been a great little amp for nearly 15 years now).

The Peaveys can often be found for not a lot of money, so I thought I might try one. If it's not what I want, I can always sell it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I don't want a big ugly ol' 4 x 12 cab cluttering up my home, do I?

stratman323 said:

Well I don't want a big ugly ol' 4 x 12 cab cluttering up my home, do I?

4x12 ugly!! my favourite 'furniture' is my 4x12! Get yourself a JTM45 & a nice 2x12. Clean sounds that will make your Fender sound like it cost a tenner :wink:

DSCF0017-6.jpg

OMG, an Explorer! :-? And a Marshall! :-?

My worst nightmare - take them away!!

:(

stratman323 said:
OMG, an Explorer! :-? And a Marshall! :-?

My worst nightmare - take them away!!

:(

All a bit too 'rock' for you?

The explorer has gone! I'm too old to carry the Marshall anywhere, it's too heavy :wink:

Actually that's one of the main reasons why I don't want anything heavier than a 1x12 combo. I live on the 1st floor, and I value my poor old back too much to risk humping anything heavier up and down stairs!

Oh yes, 2 louder than Marshall. :wink: Spinal Tap has nothing on those crazy dudes from Fender. :lol:

Back