Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK Tokai owners convention
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

I'm not madly keen on Sheffield - it's hard to get to for anyone from outside the UK, & it's further than Birmingham. If it's not London, I would prefer:

1. Birmingham
2. Manchester

And both have reasonable airports, & rail services (well as good as any rail services are in the UK these days.....). Personally, I would rather see one or two of our overseas members there than anyone from Tokai UK. Between us, I think we can provide a decent selection of Tokais, old and new.

Wherever it is, parking is important, as I wouldn't attempt the journey by rail with a guitar. And wherever the function is held, it needs to be part of or very close to a decent but not too expensive hotel/motel, so we can store our guitars safely after the do is over.

Good luck!
AlanN
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike - I think it'd be interesting to get Bob and co. along (don't you want to see what all the new models are like!? ) but I agree, we should place forum members first. I'll try a few friends who live in Brum and see what they suggest, and I'll have a poke around Manchester myself - it's the bigger of the two airports, so should be better for international flights.
Mole Man
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that involving Bob/Tokai UK would be a spendid idea (so long as he/they realise that they are being invited to our convention and not the other way around). As for the location, well if it is going to be central then one city is surely as good as another! (Disclaimer: that last sentence was written by a lifelong Londoner who rarely dares to tread North of Watford...)!!

Best regards,
Darren/MM
Mole Man
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnA wrote:
I've no problem with anyone on the forum bringing a friend/partner along, but you've highlighted a potential problem, we don't want word getting out via the forum and 300 uninvited Chavs turning up to paw our guitars!

I'm sure wouldn't happen, but to be on the safe side maybe once the venue & date are sorted we could let each other know by PM, email or phone.

How dare you, John! FYI, I happen to be Upper Middle Class...

Best regards,
Darren/MM
stratman323

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool, I'm sure we'll be prepared to let a few middle class people in.

Yeah Tokai UKs attendance would be great too, maybe we could charge them for a stall? After all, they couldn't wish for a better crowd of people to promote their guitars to.

mirrorboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I just noticed this thread and I think it's a great idea.

It has put me in mind of the very exclusive Rickenbacker Convocation events. I've never been able to get a ticket to the UK Rickenbacker Convocation because the visitor numbers are restricted. I think the UK Ric Meet hires a venue, allocates tickets up to the venue capacity and that's it. When the tickets are gone, they're gone. Not that that bothers me, I'm much more interested in Tokai guitars.

I'm in Leeds, and I can offer the following for free..
Function room, with 100+ persons capacity for an event like this, in a 17thC barn next to Pub. Location is 10 minutes away from Leeds and Bradford International airport and good choice of hotels . Ample parking outside the venue. The Pub can also provide food if required. I don't know if this might be of interest to Ned, but it's just 30 minutes away from Knaresborough.
Full PA system, drumkit, bass rig and a 1973 Fender Silverface Pro Reverb. I could also provide a drummer and a bass guitar. Absolutely no noise restrictions. I'll also bring my pearl pink TST-55!

I would prefer a Saturday afternoon start. Anyone, let me know what you think.

I have to admit that I hadn't noticed this General Discussion forum before so there may be other Tokaiforum members who are unaware of this proposed event.
stratman323

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. There's only one problem with Leeds - it has a worse one way traffic system than South London! A real nightmare. And the Old Bill park up and hide where the confusing roads change from a 40 limit to a 30 limit, and then nick you for doing 37! Well, they do if you don't have a Leeds registration....

Apart from that, it sounds ideal, specially if it's free & we can make a bit of noise! I would agree about a Saturday afternoon start, & then we can finish up in the bar in the evening, if we're not travelling home. And it's close to Sheffield, so Tokai UK will probably be able to attend.

My God - this might actually happen!

JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeds would be perfect
mirrorboy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that about the Leeds roads, but the cops parked up have now been replaced by speed cameras. Having said that, I could sort out some detailed information for drivers so everyone is aware of any potential problems. I have excellent knowledge of the area so I could man a hotline for directional guidance.

I'm willing to organise facilities if someone else could organise the tickets. There may be a small cost element involved with the venue as I don't know exactly what the deal is with regard to functions at this venue. We just use the barn for rehearsal and storing our band gear for free at the moment. I'll speak to the landlord if and when it's decided what people want in the way of food etc.
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this still going to happen? It would be a good idea for a swap meet - try before you buy!
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it's in Leeds, we're in the hands of mirrorboy.
AlanN
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeds sounds ideal to me too - I love Leeds, 'twas my University city and it'll always have a special place in my heart. Gigged all over the place too. Salad days!

Mirrorboy, I wouldn't worry about organising food - if the pub does it, I think guaranteeing a barnful of hungry guitarists will be in there for lunch, dinner and evening drinks will make the owners very happy campers!
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any dates in mind? Being a season ticket holder could we chose an international weekend?
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a dead thread Fred?
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iainblack wrote:
Is this a dead thread Fred?

I hope not!! It's obviously very sick though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: