New (used) guitar: Greco EX 800 H

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyl

Reaction score
(This has been posted on the Harmony-Central's electric guitars forum as well)

You know, I always liked the Explorer shape... In fact I remember that, back in the middle '90s (that's when I began playing guitar), I was the only one among us young metalheads whose favorite guitar was the Kelly, while all the others preferred Rhoads, King Vs and/or Superstrats.

But my EXPLORER GAS really began when I first saw pictures of those Hamer Standard Customs & Dean USA Zs: they're among the best lookin' guitars of them all IMO!

So my hunt began and, since I really can't afford a 2000-2500$ USA made axe at the moment (I'm still a poor uni student), after some research I focused on an Edwards model, the E-EX-100STD, which was very close to those fantastic Hamers...
Sadly, they discontinued that model a couple of months before I finally saved up all the money, and after that they're VERY hard to find :mad:.

After half a year of furious hunt I finally gave up and bought a nice Dean V instead, and was thinkin' about simply get a Gibson '76 reissue or even a New Century one day and forget about binding & fancy inlays, when I found this one on Ebay, and priced just right... I couldn't believe my eyes, the last one I did see was on last X-Mas and it was modded and pretty beat up! I was broke, so I went to bed and tried to forget about it... Needless to say, I woke up at 3 AM and hit that **** "buy it now" button!

... I've got a 200$ debt with my brother now, but I'm a happy human being :D!

(The first two photos were shot by me, the other two are from the seller)

... She's a MIJ Greco EX-800 H, and she's born in 1980 just like me ;)... She's got her amount of scars but nothing horrible and is very well built (notice the fret edge binding and the quality inlays) and plays and sounds REALLY good :cool:!

Here she is in the 1979 Greco catalogue:

... Seems to be all original...

I paid 325 pound (=650$) + shipping for it BTW.

Hello johnny l, well done mate thats beautiful guitar, those early greco's are very well made guitars and i'm sure you'll get years of enjoyment out of her.....cheers Mick

Have never seen that before. It is like the Hamer guitar.

I missed that auction! Have you got a link? :)

Old Puppy said:
Have never seen that before. It is like the Hamer guitar.

I missed that auction! Have you got a link? :)
Here ya go:
http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320162265701&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:IT:31
:wink:

Latest posts

Back