burny les paul is to heavy, should i route out the back?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benrod

Reaction score
Hi guy's i am NOT joking! I bought it off ebay 9 years ago ( $400 u.s. ) , 1993 burny standard l.p. - its a great player, and it sounds great, but i cant take it anymore, its too heavy, 10.8 lbs. - No i dont want to get rid of her for a lighter one, I WANT to KEEP it and make it lighter- routing out the back? PLEASE any thoughts, do you think i am crazy for wanting to do it, will it sound the same? if I go ahead with it , I will post photo's .

I have a 1979 Strat body, one from the 'boat anchor' era when Fender was making bodies from hard, dense ash, and I routed the back in several places.

This removed roughly 26 oz. of weight :)

I routed the holes with a 1/4 x 1/4 inch lip, covered them all with clear pine pieces, even aligned the grain orientation.

Was quite a bit of work & turned out nicely

You could do basically the same thing with any solid body BUT just make sure you know where you're routing, if you happen to proceed

i would think that removing some of the wood would alter the tone of the guitar. i have never done it myself though.

Sell it and buy a lighter one, it's not worth the risk of ruining it, & it will be worth nothing when you are finished.

benrod said:
... 10.8 lbs... .

Thats a lot, a little more than mine, but no problem!
DO a little sports, thats it.
A box of mineral water weights lots more, and you do not have a leather belt for it.
Or are you a sissy that lets his wife carry the water box?

I have 3 (!) slipped disks, and a play without problems my 10 lbs Burny.
Regular sports is the secret!
So don't be a sissy and do not scuttle your Burny.

In case you do want to stay weak, just sell your Burny and buy yourself a chambered Gibson or something similar sissy-like.

Excuse my harsh words, but whimps and fags do annoy me too much.

CYah
B.

In case you do want to stay weak, just sell your Burny and buy yourself a chambered Gibson or something similar sissy-like.

CYah
B.

Easy there, junior. Your words aren't harsh, they're ignorant.

burnyIII said:
benrod said:
... 10.8 lbs... .

DO a little sports, thats it.
A box of mineral water weights lots more, and you do not have a leather belt for it. Or are you a sissy that lets his wife carry the water box?

CYah
B.

How wisely and eloquently said. I have noticed the same thing everytime I carry a box of mineral water three sets a night.

Did you really want to give an advice to a fellow player or just wave your homophobic caveman flag? I'm happy for your wife thought, I bet she doesn't need to carry anything. Now you know why she married you. Or maybe it's just your conversation-skills.

burnyIII said:
benrod said:
... 10.8 lbs... .

CYah
B.

Even if most of us are heterosexual, I can't believe that every member of this forum is, & I see no reason why ignorant language like that should be tolerated. It's 2007 man, wise up & don't be such a dinosaur. :evil:

Or perhaps you have some nice "amusing" stereotypes about the Japanese people who make our Tokais to share with us?

Mike

burnyIII said:

CYah
B.

I really doubt that Ned would prefer that HIS forum be utilized for such bigoted BS but then hey, I could be wrong

If you actually want to live in a past centuries, then maybe you should consider going back in time....................

Once again I excuse for my harsh words.

MIJvintage said:
If you actually want to live in a past centuries ...

Hmmm, i never though 'bout this, but if this century is a century where you are not allowed to say open what you think and show what you feel, then this might be not my century. Political 'correctness' is a rather sick invention, imho.

.... then maybe you should consider going back in time....................

If you lend me your time machine, i think about that ;-)

To go back to the topic:
it was said several times, but some made here a storm in a teacup, so maybe it should be said again:

do not ruin your Burny.
Accept it like it is or sell it so someone who likes it as is. If the only problem is that you can't play it long hours, buy a second, lighter guitar and change guitars when the Burny gets too heavy.
And buy a good, broad bolstered leather belt. That reduces the felt weight a lot.

CYah
B.

Hmmm, i never though 'bout this, but if this century is a century where you are not allowed to say open what you think and show what you feel, then this might be not my century. Political 'correctness' is a rather sick invention, imho.

This is not political correctness.....its about having manners, not insulting someone's physical constitution. This is not about calling "it as it is", it sounds more like a gratuitous insult than a constructive criticism.

Is it "politically correct" to ask for some manners here? Some decency? I dont think so.

Claiming this is "political correctness" is a (pardon the pun) thin veneer for excusing a cheap shot (no provocation) at another person.

Honestly, maybe the dude has a bad back from his line of work, or old age, if so...that makes you kind of "sick" to take advantage of someone's physical circumstance and display your machoism at his expense.

I like solid-bodied guitars with no relief holes myself, but I wont view someone else as a sissy for wanting relief holes.

As every guitarist knows - play what feels right for you.

burnyIII said:
Political 'correctness' is a rather sick invention, imho.

at the risk of getting flamed, i must concur ("gay" remarks aside of course)

i'm studying to be a teacher, and got told off by my supervising teacher for using the term "caveman"... it's CAVEPEOPLE these days *rolls eyes*

EDIT: btw, im not condoning or condeming anything anyone has said in this thread, im talking about Political Correctness in general ;)

MIJconvert said:
Honestly, maybe the dude has a bad back...

As stated before, i have several slipped disks.
I know what heavy back pain is, probably i know heavier back pain than the most people here.
And i had to learn that the right sports, done regularely and with energy, is the cure. A strong back is a less painful back.
While pampering yourself makes things just worse.

CYah
B.

Back