are edwards LP's chambered or not. which models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'd like to think that all Edwards LP's are totally SOLID and not chambered like the new Gibson LP's. X-ray pics of Edwards Les Pauls would be good... anyone?

cyberpunk409 said:
i'd like to think that all Edwards LP's are totally SOLID and not chambered like the new Gibson LP's. X-ray pics of Edwards Les Pauls would be good... anyone?

Roger (tudor) said he had some and would post soon. Like I said in the earlier post, my Edwards Jimmy Page went thru the airport Xray and I saw the image - no holes in it other than the p'up and elecronics routing and wire channels. TSA wouldn't let me behind the xray unit with my camera.

say cheese :-?

well, some say that gibbo started chambered bodys in late 2006 and weight relief holes (swiss cheese) in way back early 80s?

greco has made chambered/pancake body LPs in 70s and there's some others for sure ...but

edwards/esp...naah ....i don't believe it

btw. i don't see any problems with this ... weight reliefed/swiss cheesed or not ... if it sound good 8)

All Edwards Les Paul are full solid.

There are no holes or chambers in it. My Edwards Goldtop has a very good weight - about 4kg. Without holes or other weight reliefing methods. Gibson Standards have about the same weight - with holes or chambers in them.

As it was stated before Greco already built chambered Les Pauls at the end of the 70s. But I don?t think it?s an advantage in any way. Both the new Gibsons or the old Grecos which are chambered don?t sound good in my opinion!

Jinx said:
btw. i don't see any problems with this ... weight reliefed/swiss cheesed or not ... if it sound good 8)

Yeah no kidding.....try standing up on stage with a 10 lb boat anchor strapped on for 4 hours during a gig. I actually got numb on my shoulder and neck from where the strap was digging in. That's the only complaint I have about my Love Rocks.....they're real heavy but my lightweight Edwards JP sounds as good if not better and I'm not crippled the next day.

i have heard about some very light Edwards LP's. in the 3.5 - 4kg range. i would then assume that if they are fully solid, than they must be using very light mahogany.
how would the tone compare of, for example
Edwards Jimmy Page 59 model to a Greco mint series LP custom.
my Greco weighs 4.4kg, and is solid i believe, and has a really nice full tone without being thin or muddy.

G'day Big Ace, mate i have a greco custom that i just love it has that pure dark LP tone and it is a heavy son of a ***** and i have a Tokai high end gold top that is lite like an Edwards and although not as dark sounding has awesome tone as well. i have 6 LP's all up and they are all different in weight . ......cheers ...Mick

marcusnieman said:
Roger (tudor) said he had some and would post soon.

I have a friend who is a veterinary surgeon ... and in about 5 weeks I will have my little puppy ... for me she's the entrance to the XRay, because also the veterinary docs have to document every shot they'll do ...
I will take my Eddie and my Gibbo with me to take some pics ... but I'm sure the Eddie is solid - not my Gibbo ...

Roger

Anyone happen to get any pics? I have to say I'm still skeptical. Love my Edwards, but just seems too light to be solid Mahogany. Allegedly, someone over at Harmony Central emailed Ishibashi and received a positive reply that Edwards does indeed weight relieve the Les Paul copies.

peacock72 said:
Anyone happen to get any pics? I have to say I'm still skeptical.

Next week ... or in the first week of the new year ...
They said the XRays will not work because they are not determined to make pics of wood ... but I don't believe that ...
I'll take my Gibbo and the Eddie with me ...

So - be a little patient ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger

Hi guys, Our friend Tokai Joe has informed me that after talking to the guys at ESP that they are all solid bodies. Hope this helps, Merry Christmas all
Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
... that they are all solid bodies.

That's what I'm claiming all the time ... but there are still disbelievers around ... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger

8) ESP says EDWARDS have both body and neck made in china but then all
assembled in japan. their solid bodies are all full solid like mick says.....j

so...somebody is lying. I was told by the Sendai Rock Inn staff that the Edwards are MIJ, they contacted ESP after I asked about the China connection that I read about on line a few months ago.
I should add...theres a guy at another site saying the parts come from Korea.
Who is telling the truth?...I never know in this country.

Hi Sneaky, i wouldn't say lying, just misinformed. Originally i was having a conversation with an ESP employee and he was asking me silly questions like "if the parts come from another country and they are built here what is it?" At the time i had no idea of what he was getting at, after a while after working out the poorly translated conversation , i gave him my opinion. I still didn't know which company he was asking about, a couple of weeks later in conversation he then revealed that it was Edwards that was doing this and asked me not to say anything. As i've said before this isn't 2nd hand information and after checking with another japanese friend who is an agent for ESP he was able to verify this. Edwards are still calling these guitars MIJ because under japanese law they are entitled to do so and i've never disputed this. I was also told that they aren't the only company doing this.
Cheers Mick

The ESP people told you one thing, and they told the shop staff here another...could it be ESP is misinformed about their own products?
BS is so thick here it`s hard to make my way through it sometimes. After so many years of honne and tatemae, I now question everything I`m told in the country `cause I can not tell which I`m getting. Have you been keeping up on all the scandals recently over here? Seems some companies have been lying about their products for ages, decades in some cases and it`s sending shock waves around the country...so maybe the locals can`t tell the difference between the honne and tatemae either.
As I said there is another guy saying the same thing about the Edwards but that the parts come from Korea. You say it comes directly to you but to me it`s just another story on the web and no offence intended but it doesn`t really prove anything. Not saying what you were told is untrue, but it contradicts what I was told here by Japanese shop staff...how are we lowly gaijin, and we are nothing more , supposed to know which is the truth?
I have often said that ESP could sell the Edwards for a lot more than they do because of the quality and didn`t know how they could make a profit....well, having parts mills outside Japan would certainly help to explain how they can sell them for so little. I have no idea why there is such a need for secrecy over here but I don`t ask why anymore...and once I leave this place I won`t have to.
I like my Edwards, if I didn`t I`d have stopped at one. I think used, they are the best bargain available to me in this country and will continue to buy them when I like what I see... so exactly where they are made, milled , assembled, set up or checked over makes no difference to me. But one guy started this rumor on the web a few months ago and now it`s growing like a mushroom cloud...`course that happens a lot on line doesn`t it.

I was in the local rock Inn today and thought I`d run this by another of the salesmen in the shop. He said he`s never heard about the Edwards /China thing but did say Fender Japan is doing that nowadays. Take it for what it`s worth but thats what what I was told today at the same shop that told me the same thing before but from a different person.

Latest posts

Back