Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'89 Greco Explorer EX-750

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiftywatt
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: '89 Greco Explorer EX-750 Reply with quote

I just picked up a Greco "58 Explorer" Mint Collection replica from 1989.
All specs pretty much faithful to the 50's specs. I know the originals were made from korina wood. Any idea if Greco used korina in these. See pic below. In person the guitar looks like it might be mahogany with some butterscotch colored pore filler and then clearcoat on top. But I've rarely seen real korina from the late 50's or the modern era so I don't really know. Anyone?

marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korina wood (actually called Limba and native to Africa) is in fact a relative of Mahogany with many of the same characteristics. But these days, the name Korina mostly denotes the yellow finish....whether it's actually Korina wood or stained mahogany (which is more prevalent due to the over farming, scarcity and high cost of actual Korina).

Chances are it is stained mahogany as you pointed out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: