Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sold my Edwards JP Relic & bought a Gibson Faded Standar
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
prsman
Power chords are my friend


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 32

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Sold my Edwards JP Relic & bought a Gibson Faded Standar Reply with quote

First of all, I really enjoyed the Edwards, for the money spent it is good value for money; however, my new 2007 Gibson les paul sounds much, much better!!

Both guitars are chambered and are a pleasure to play for this reason, but I must say the Gibson sounds more vibrant and packs more volume when unplugged. For this reason, it sounds even better when plugged in. I attribute this both to the Burstbuckers and the design and chambering of the Gibson.

The Bursbuckers, in all positions, IMHO sound considerably better.

The fit and finish on both guitars was fantastic.

Tuners: I don't feel the Gotoh gold tuners performed any better then the Gibson's stock klusons . In fact, I enjoy the vintage Gibsons more.

Long versus short neck tenon: From my experience and from a tone perspective, I can't see why this is such an issue, as the Gibson has a short tenon and sounds better.

Don't get me wrong, I still dig Edwards guitars, infact I would love to purchase their answer to Gibson's R6 (Goldtop, with p-90s). Does anyone have this guitar? Is this a chambered axe? Is the edwards goldtop on par in terms of fit and finish as a LP 98 or Jimmy page model? If so, I'm sure this would be a fine guitar to buy.

Just my two cents,

-prsman.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marcusnieman
Guitar God


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 8764
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Edwards JP isn't chambered (ran it thru airport xray) and it weighs 7.25 lbs

Put a Faberkit on it (alum tailpiece, posts, bushings) and it sounds killer.

I'm assuming yours didn't have the Super Circuit coil splitting pots on it. If it did, I think you downgraded - but that's my two cents.

For me, there's not a Gibson out there for the money I paid on my Edwards that would give me the same return on investment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MIJconvert
Sus4add11


Joined: 17 Feb 2007
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prsman, you should realise Edwards are not meant to be equivalents of Gibson, the Navigators are the ones suppose to be equivalents of Gibson, try them and you'll be blown away by the sheer quality of it!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ducati
Guitar God


Joined: 25 Oct 2005
Posts: 164

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fadeds are nice guitars.

It's good to hear an actual comparison between Gibson and MIJ guitars.

Thanks for taking the time to write your findings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sarge40
Guitar God


Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 47
Location: NY, USA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, someone over on the Les Paul Forum did do a comparison between an Edwards and a Gibson. The results were mixed, but the Edwards held its own against the Gibson. Different ears preferred different instruments, but neither was a slouch in any category.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prsman
Power chords are my friend


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 32

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny, I automatically assumed my JP relic that I sold was chambered due to both the weight and sound of it.

After playing these chambered gibsons I must say chambering is a good thing. You see, I compared my friend's mint 1992 Gibson classic to my new faded. Both my friend and I thought the tone on the chambered faded was waaaay better - way more punchy and vibrant while still maintaining a nice heavy/dark lp tone.

And who wouldn't want to try out a Navigator - heck, who wouldn't want to try out a Gibson custom shop R9?? Both lines I'm sure are top-notch; however, both lines are a lot more expensive then my faded standard. The only reason I compared my new Gibson to my old Edwards is because the Faded is priced closer to an Edwards JP model then to a Navigator.


Question: What type of straplocks are on the JP relic? I need to get an identical set for the Gibson, as those are the fantastic.

Yeah, I'm dying to hear an Edwards Goldtop with p-90s. Again, is this guitar in the same sort of league as the LP 98 and JP relic model in terms of quality, electronics?

-prsman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marcusnieman
Guitar God


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 8764
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prsman wrote:


Question: What type of straplocks are on the JP relic? I need to get an identical set for the Gibson, as those are the fantastic.

Yeah, I'm dying to hear an Edwards Goldtop with p-90s. Again, is this guitar in the same sort of league as the LP 98 and JP relic model in terms of quality, electronics?

-prsman


They're Schaller strap locks. All I've heard about the Edwards Goldtops with P90's is that they're great - resonant and more of a scooped top carving like the early Gibbos. Quality is there but they are kind of heavy.....most are around 9 lbs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tudor
Guitar God


Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Posts: 1542
Location: AC - Germany

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
My Edwards JP isn't chambered (ran it thru airport xray) and it weighs 7.25 lbs
For me, there's not a Gibson out there for the money I paid on my Edwards that would give me the same return on investment.


Marcus,

you're right - not chambered !!! But I'll prove it soon by an Xray of Eddie LP90LTS and Gibbo Classic ... I'll post some pics after the job has been done ...
There are many rumours out there that the Eddies are chambered ... must be from the owners of 10lbs-guitars who can't believe that the Eddies sound so beautiful and do weigh less than a half of their own guitars ...

BTW - I have the Gibbo Classic too, and indeed - she's the best sounding LP I currently have with Wolfetone DrVs ... the Eddie has got the BN Mules and if I would change the pups ... maybe there'd be no difference between them ...

Roger
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
leadguitar_323
Guitar God


Joined: 14 Nov 2006
Posts: 3534
Location: Brisbane Australia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi prsman, i'm glad you have a chambered guitar that you say sounds great because all the ones i've looked at and played sounded like ^&*(. I recently played a 2006 lp custom brand spanking new and it sounded like a cardboard box... The Edwards is a solid body guitar, just better quality mahogany than Gibson use. I also read a story that gibson, for their high end models are sourcing their wood from Japan. As far as the tenon goes the Gibson standard tenon is terrible {search this forum for pics} It has about half the contact or less than a tokai neck tenon and is by far an inferior joint. More contact = more sustain and resonance. The japanese neck joints have good contact all over, the standards have contact on both sides and part of the bottom and not at all at the front {there is a piece of wood that gibson put in the pickup cavity to cover the end of the dodgey neck joint} Anyway i'm glad you have managed to get one your happy with.......cheers Mick.
_________________
so many guitars....so little money...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
cyberpunk409
Guitar God


Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Posts: 112

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tudor wrote:
...I'll prove it soon by an Xray of Eddie LP90LTS


can't wait for that. would LOVE to see an x-ray of an Edwards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marcusnieman
Guitar God


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 8764
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberpunk409 wrote:
tudor wrote:
...I'll prove it soon by an Xray of Eddie LP90LTS


can't wait for that. would LOVE to see an x-ray of an Edwards


I was going to take a picture of mine at the airport but the TSA security wouldn't let me behind the unit with my camera. She did let me peer over her shoulder to have a peek. It had the standard routing and body cavity holes - beautiful image showing all of the wiring and electronics.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prsman
Power chords are my friend


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 32

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My JP relic had good sustain, but not as much as my Gibson - that I'm certain of. Important to note as well, my old Epi standard (with bone nut and Seymour 59s) possessed more sustain then both the Edwards and Gibson.

As a result, this whole long and short tenon thing is a non-issue for me, as the tone and sustain from the Gibson is considerably better. This is important to note, for when I initially chose the Edwards over the Gibson, one of the pros that helped sway my decision towards the Edwards was the long tenon.

I could give a rat's a#$ if Gibson is using an inferior wood on the back (who nows if that's the case) it still sounds better at the end of the day.

Believe me, I wanted my JP relic to sound better then the faded. I actually felt quite sick when I initially picked up the Gibson after recently buying the Edwards and discovering thicker, punchier, heavier, crunchier and clearer (scientific terms, eh?) tones coming from the Gibson. Thankfully I unloaded my Edwards at the same price I bought it for (initially bought it from Ishibishishi - highly recommend these guys too).

I'm only trying to drive my point home, because I wouldn't like for anyone who has the cash to spend on the faded standard compromise themselves and go for the JP relic, for I think you'll be much more happy with the Gibson. I paid $750 for the Edwards plus roughly $100 more in shipping. Also, the Gibson comes with a kick-@#$ hard case (probably worth $100 more then the ESP soft case included with the Edwards). Therefore, the true cost of the JP relic was $950 when you factor in these incremental costs (extra shipping and having to buy a hard-case). I paid $1,399 for a heavly flamed Gibson les paul. To me this extra amount was worth it.

regards,

prsman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnA
Guitar God


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 4176
Location: Leicester UK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prsman, you are talking a lot of sense. There is no doubting that there are some great Japanese guitars out there and some great USA one too, but all this x-raying a guitar to see how good it is is rubbish, plug it in and play it that's the true test.

Based on my experience with Les Pauls, which is quite extensive, there are good and not so good ones regardless of where they were made or who made them. I have played Historic's that didn't feel/sound as good as my Tokai LS80 and played Gibson Standards that were every bit as good (reluctant to say better )

Bottom line is try as many guitars as you can and buy the one that you think is best.!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
marcusnieman
Guitar God


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 8764
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnA wrote:
but all this x-raying a guitar to see how good it is is rubbish, plug it in and play it that's the true test.


For the record, I wasn't x raying the guitar to see how good it was - it was good right out of the box for me. I had to put it thru the airport X Ray because I carried it on in a gig bag - I don't check my guitars in with baggage.

There's always been debate about the Edwards JP models being chambered because of their light weight - I was simply confirming what I saw. Isn't that what the point of this forum is? To share information?

But what do I know......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnA
Guitar God


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 4176
Location: Leicester UK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus

Sorry if I offended, I didn't direct this at you, just at the genral 'cork sniffing' habits of some guitar players, Les Paul Players more than most, and myself included if I'm totally honest.

What matters most is that it plays well, sounds great and feels right, all the better if it has a nice flame top finished in nitro, a solid honduras body & a long tennon

About the point of the forum, I agree with you entirely, but if we all had the same opinions it would make for some pretty dull discussions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group