'84 LS200 solid quilt

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi!
Until today I thought that quilt tops ar photo. Gottfried proved that I was wrong...
IMG_2907CustomLarge2.jpg

Hi!

I have not received her yet.

I'll post details when I get her.

Actually, I feel like a 5 year old just before x-mas....

Hi guys,

I would love to see more of this axe.
I am sceptical it is an '84 though, closer to a 2004. As far as i can ascertain, Tokai never made a maple quilt top Love Rock prior to 1988.
The fingerboard looks like it's ebony and not rosewood, still let me know when you get it and we can look it over properly.

regards
Peter Mac

I'm with Pete on this one...Quilting on Love Rocks is a recent phenomenon.

Hi!

I'll take some detailled pics tomorrow. From what I can tell by now: this is a genuine 1984 LS200 with a solid quilted top.

I bought it from togps, who doesn't ******** about Tokais.

But I had exactly the same comments. I just did not believe one of those exsits until I actually received her.

Cheers. Rupert

Hi!

Below you find some detailled pics. I keep my opinion that this is 1984 LS200, however, I am also very happy if some of you could comment. I've never seen such a Tokai before, and as you might guess I paid and arm and a leg.

What's a bit strange: the neck-lip does not reach into the pup-cavity, as it does on most (not all) LS150s I own from the same period. Cabling also is not metal-shielded.

Facts:
- One-piece mahogany back
- She definitely has a solid, quilted and center-matched top
- Pups are DiMarzio
- Fretboard appears to be ebony
- Fret-edge binding
- The Grover-tuners are original (no holes for Klusons)
- The TRC is Mr. togps's way of labeling what he sells, so it's not original
- Saddles are brass
- Orange caps
- Bloody fat neck

Most amazingly, she is 99% mint. No freatwear, literally no dings. I will not comment on the sound, it's out of this planet.

And I got her in an orginal case too....

But as I said: please comment.

Cheers. Rupert

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

I remember a LS-220 quilted in a catalog,just check for it Ruppert.
Also LS-200 from 80's would have Seymour Duncan '59s and 150s Di Marzios altough someone could have replaced them. If this one is a Custom Order then it deviates from stock model....

1995 LS200 quilted top http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/v1806.jpg

1997 LS220 quilted top http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/v1906.jpg

Also....I discovered LS320 begins in 1997 regarding catalog!In 1995 still LS200 is top model BUT with a quilted top.

In 1995 catalog you can see what it appears to be a Brockburst finish Tokai LS180 model(it seems the old 150 model).It?s a really great finish this one.I like it very much.

Very nice looking guitar!

Hi luis!

Thanks a lot! Frankly, I have been suspicious. I'd say neither the neck-fit nor the pups are OK for an '84 LS200. The wires definitely aren't.

I have 2 LS320s (one '00 and one '05), which both have Seth Lovers (i.e. SD) and both have the neck-tongue into the pup-cave. Of course they also have jacaranda, not ebony.

This one is beautiful and the sound is just amazing, but I bought her for collection, not for playing. Even if she is a "custom-made" one the basic specs should be OK.

I am really disappointed after looking into all details.

Cheers. Rupert

rgrafend said:
I bought her for collection, not for playing.

OMG! :( What a terrible waste...

No wonder decent Tokais are hard to get hold of - the poor little things are locked away somewhere, never being played. :cry:

It?s vey tricky dating Tokais,I have any trouble identifying some,strat replicas specially.

Ruppert if it?s good for you,just keep it.This is the first quilted I?ve seen so close in all my life.

1980 LS-200 dont all have SD59...as all LS-200 were custom built for each buyer you could choose the PU you wanted ..either Gibson pat no, dimarzio paf, or SD59 were the options at that time..

rgrafend said:
I bought her for collection, not for playing. I am really disappointed after looking into all details.

Come on, I hope you are kidding!?

If not, what a waste. Why don't you waste your money on old Gibsons instead? :x

well frankly i dont think anyone has the right to criticize a collector as opposed to a player, after all, all collectors are also players to some extent,,,you do what u want to do and leave others to do what they want to do...dont criticise , condemn, or complain..each to their own..thats what i think....

Some thoughts.

My natural instinct as a player is that these beauties should/must be played and played 'out'. Looks are great, but tone and feel are really rewarding too - shame to miss out on that.

However:

- the more people want/buy/keep them, whether players or collectors the more are made for all of us = more choice

- I suspect many 'collectors' actually pass these guitars on after a few years

- the vintage stock will last longer if a proportion are stored rather than played/gigged

- not everyone has the facility to play guitar - that's easily forgotten

Lastly, I can't afford to have guitars as collectibles, if I want the best then they have to earn their keep.

It's true that we all have the right to do whatever we want with the guitars that we own. For example, I could go and set fire to my humble collection of about 12 guitars if I wanted to, & none of you could do anything about it. However, if I posted on here that I have just burned my Tokais, I would expect some people to be upset by my actions and criticise me. They would also have the right to do this. Surely cruelty to Tokais is a legitimate concern of this group?

It's not really surprising if stating "I bought her for collection, not for playing" provokes reactions of "what a terrible waste" from guitarists out there who would love to have the chance to play and care for such a fine instrument. Unfortuately, people who buy large numbers of rare Tokais and lock them away, unplayed, reduce the available supply for the rest of us, and artificially boost prices, meaning that it's harder than ever for the rest of us to get our hands on the rarest beauties, & that is bad news for most of us.

Maybe the real point here is that it's rather insensitive to say "I bought her for collection, not for playing" on a forum where most of the members have some sort of GAS for fine Tokais, but can't afford or find them.

Mike

Well said, Mike ... :wink: :wink:

... but that's a moot point to discuss, because we have had those 'collectors' from the very early begin of human beings ... :-?

Some will collect Ferraris, stamps, used women underwear ... and whatever ... ! They'll never been wiped out or stop their passion voluntarily as long as they'll have the money to follow their addiction ... :-?

Roger

Latest posts

Back