Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1980 Greco Super Real EGF-850 .......... surprise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: 1980 Greco Super Real EGF-850 .......... surprise Reply with quote

I've been looking around & investigating my latest MIJ, a beat to Hell 1980 Greco EGF-850.
I decided to see what's under the shielding paint, in the pups routes so, I sanded down the paint, and I found a center seam top UNDER the flame laminate

The laminate can be seen slightly lifting, on the treble side.

This is the only center seam maple cap I have seen under a laminate top, with the exception of several Bacchus Lesters

This puppy has been full of surprises, such as the 'double white' bobbin PU 2 pickups (seller stated Double Tricks) which sound very nice, and is turning out to be one Hell of a 'beater'

Since I have only $675 bucks into this beast, I'm thinking of steaming off the laminate, exposing the full underlying maple cap, and completely refinishing the cherry back, in nitro lacquer of course.
After all, what's 1.5 millimeters of cheesy laminate flame, when there is a REAL center seam maple cap under there?

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how if you find out that there's a third top piece on one of the side after removing the laminated?
MIJvintage
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold top anyone?

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT is a great finish,I like it,go for it.

If a 3 piece body maybe you?re able to see the seam at the end of the body(side),I trained myselt to see the pieces and after checking and checking different guitars I?ve owned or from friends it seems I?m able to see it under a bright sunlight....
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Villager said somewhere that the shielding paint was there to hide the veneer/laminate top.
It probably is a 2 piece top but it might not look that good, maybe strange grain patterns or even knots.
My Greco 1979 Super Real proudly displays it's 3 piece top.
It's all about looks really, what's the difference in sound between a 2 piece and 3 piece top, SFA.
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIJvintage wrote:
Gold top anyone?

My favourite! Keep your 'bursts Gold all the way
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: