Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Differences between Non-Sunburst LS50/LS60/LS70/LS80 Models
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
denki109
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Differences between Non-Sunburst LS50/LS60/LS70/LS80 Models Reply with quote

As a recent convert to Tokai (via a lovely Gold Star Sounds 'strat'), I've recently made my 2nd purchase and now am a proud owner of a '80 LS60 Love Rocks. This guitar has got me wondering about the differences between Tokai's non-sunburst LS50/LS60/LS70/LS80 models.

Do all pre-85 Love Rocks non-sunburst guitars in the LS50-80 range use the same wood? Were the differences in cost based on the bridge assembly and machineheads used? Or did finish come into the equation.

I've looked at previous threads and they've gone into detail about the maple-tops on the 100+ models but the 'cheap but cheerful' range has not really been covered in depth.

Many thanks in advance to everyone in this parish for their help.

Kind regards,

Andy
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't have looked too hard

Half way down this page:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-gibson-models.html
ochay
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snap
Ducati
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real dividing line is below the LS-80 model. Below that point some less desirable features are present, which makes the LS-50 and LS-60 more affordable. Headstock angle is shallower, no fret binding, more pieces of wood for top and back, and sunburst and finish are somewhat "less convincing" on the lower end models, which are still quite satisfactory.

Post some pics of your guitar, I am sure we would all enjoy it.
fartoomany
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also add that 78-82 Love Rock period is considered by many to be the golden era. I have 1978 LS80 Reborn and a 1980 LS50 Love rock. The LS80 is without doubt the better guitar in every respect. However the LS50 is a fine instrument and I would certainly recommend one if you can't afford an LS80 (or higher)
rgrafend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy!

Sorry for being suspicious.

The way you formulate your sentences is all too familiar. Baker&Mac?

Cheers. Rup

rgrafend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy - sorry for being mistaken, just read through some old docs.

Camerron&McKenna?

Rupert
denki109
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Just & Me Reply with quote

Although I'd love to be linked to a double act, none of the names that you mentioned above are ringing any bells from my past. Are they advertising companies. Law Firms? Comedy Acts? Or, perhaps, Tokai owning hit-men from the East End.

Thanks for all your help and the links. Although I had read the original grid on Tokai features on the registry - there are a lot of blanks in the 50/60 ranges and you lot have filled them in for me. I'll post some pics of the new beast right here very soon.
hawkeye2u
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please
Lotsapics

Neck cavities, headstock back-front etc etc etc

Can't wait

Cheers
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with an -84 TLS-50 Love Rock either, I don't think the earlier ones are that much better. And the headstock angle on my TLS-50 is 17/18 degrees, not 14, maybe that was changed after -82, I don't know.

The reason for me to buy my first Tokai was that I couldn't find a good Les Paul. I was looking for one but most of the LP's I tried were 70's/early 80's models and none of them were that good. The Tokai beat all of them, that was the reason I bought it. And remember, the price difference back then wasn't that big, a used Gibson cost only slightly more than the TLS-50 (at least in Sweden anyway).

Yes, the TLS-50 has a three piece back but that doesn't bother me (almost impossible to see where the pieces are joined together), I can not see any joints in the top (which is a thick solid maple top) so I don't know if it's made of two- or three pieces. The finish is excellent (gold top) and the guitar is light and very resonant. As mentioned in another thread it came from the factory with the PAF's that you normally found in the TLS-80 model. I guess that's the reason why I never replaced them.

So, don't underestimate the 80's TLS-50/60 models, at least some of them are really good. I know mine is !

Mike
denki109
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Photos of LS60 Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120158993172&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:31

Some may have seen this link in an earlier 'ebay sightings' thread. Apologies if this seems refreshingly familiar to some members of the parish.

Andy
togps
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, whazz up??
Do you like to start the same thread again???

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=55315&highlight=#55315
denki109
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Some may have seen this link in an earlier 'ebay sightings' thread. Apologies if this seems refreshingly familiar to some members of the parish".

- Rather than trying to start the same thread again (the original was about trying to identify the year of what was a pending ebay purchase at the time), I wanted to get more information about the subtle differences between the LS 50/60/80 models. As some members of the parish wanted to see pics, I posted the ebay link. In no way was I trying to repeat the thread. And, once again, sorry if this looked refreshingly familiar.
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the main differences is the price, for an LS80 of that age you are looking at at least 800 quid, for 360 you have yourself a very nice guitar!
rgrafend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, an 80-84 LS80 going for 360 quid?
Where?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: