1980 Greco Super Real EGF-850 .......... surprise

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJvintage

Reaction score
I've been looking around & investigating my latest MIJ, a beat to Hell 1980 Greco EGF-850.
I decided to see what's under the shielding paint, in the pups routes so, I sanded down the paint, and I found a center seam top UNDER the flame laminate :eek:

EGF-850surprise.jpg

The laminate can be seen slightly lifting, on the treble side.

This is the only center seam maple cap I have seen under a laminate top, with the exception of several Bacchus Lesters

This puppy has been full of surprises, such as the 'double white' bobbin PU 2 pickups (seller stated Double Tricks) which sound very nice, and is turning out to be one Hell of a 'beater'

Since I have only $675 bucks into this beast, I'm thinking of steaming off the laminate, exposing the full underlying maple cap, and completely refinishing the cherry back, in nitro lacquer of course.
After all, what's 1.5 millimeters of cheesy laminate flame, when there is a REAL center seam maple cap under there? :D

GT is a great finish,I like it,go for it.

If a 3 piece body maybe you?re able to see the seam at the end of the body(side),I trained myselt to see the pieces and after checking and checking different guitars I?ve owned or from friends it seems I?m able to see it under a bright sunlight....

I think Villager said somewhere that the shielding paint was there to hide the veneer/laminate top.
It probably is a 2 piece top but it might not look that good, maybe strange grain patterns or even knots.
My Greco 1979 Super Real proudly displays it's 3 piece top.
It's all about looks really, what's the difference in sound between a 2 piece and 3 piece top, SFA.

Latest posts

Back