Nitro-Nitro

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karma-lite

Reaction score
Hi there
Newbie so please don't shoot me down.
I bought a Tokai paisley Tele Breezysound in about 83ish, when everyone laughed at it, not cos it's paisley but cos it was a Tokai, anyway I loved it and still do. How times change..........
Recently I got a Tokai Goldtop i think it's an ALS48GT I must say cos it was just too a bargain not to be walked past ?100ish.
It a Korean with jade coloured kluson copies and cream cover plates and no ser no. but 'made in korea' on the headstock in gold, it plays really well for the money. I should go and give the shop a few more quid as it does play pretty good.
My question is do all Tokais have Nitro cellulose laquer.
Do they put ser. no.s anywhere else.
cheers fellow Tokkers

Wow, ?100 for a Goldtop! That's very good, I was happy paying ?200 (with case) for my AL48 in what seems to be called Clown Burst by various people on here. Where in the UK are you? I must visit this shop....

The short answer is no, the cheaper Tokais (like yours and mine) are not nitro, only the more expensive ones. There are other posts on here that cover this topic in depth, and list which models have nitro lacquer. The Korean LRs don't have a serial number, why I don't know. Most other models seem to.

If you have any pics of both of your Tokais, I'm sure we'd all like to see them. You can use www.photobucket.com to upload them free. :D

It was over ?110 but no case and no scratch plate, it needed quite a bit of setting up and the pickups are a bit of a mystery, so it was cheap as I can do most of the easy stuff myself. Is there a good place for Tokai spares? It was just a second hand shop not a music shop.

It's odd but the back feels like nitro and the front like poly. I'm a nitro fan, in fact I got one of the recently discontinued Gibbo Les paul Melody Makers (a stick with a pick up on it) if you haven't had a go of one of them try one they're great, nearest thing to a real MM from the 50's.

I'll have a go at p/bucket and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back