Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New member new (to me) Springy Sound
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
basadam
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: New member new (to me) Springy Sound Reply with quote

Hello,

I've just registered, so please be gentle. First a little bit about myself: I am actually a bass player from Turkey, but I needed a strat-style guitar to fill in some backing tracks in my home studio. I set my upper limit to $1000 so vintage/American strats were out of reach. I've tried some Mexicans but I didn't like them. I was set on buying a Cort G285 or G290, they're better than Mex Fenders IMO and come with Seymour Duncans (G285) or EMGs (G290).

Anyways, I noticed a Tokai Springy Sound ST-80 in a second hand shop. Being a Fender bass player I know the brand, that got me intrigued, searched the web and arrived here. Information presented here convinced me it's original so after trying I bought it today. I paid $880. Guitars are normally expensive here - a new AmSe strat sells for $2500, Mex ones are a tad under $1000. I don't care if I paid too much or too little because I bought it to play. As I said it's much better than Mex Fenders, and while Cort stuff was good for the money, this one sounds a lot more "strat" to my ears.

The seller claimed it's '79, serial# is 1013735 (on the neckplate). Body seems like ash, 2-tone or tobacco burst. Rosewood board, V-neck, and very light overall. It has a few dings here and there but nothing extraordinary considering its age. One spring and tremolo arm is missing but no big deal to me. Tuners and saddles have TOKAI stamped, the pickguard is 3-ply W-B-W. I didn't check underneath the pickups (will do tonight) for an "E" mark but the sound convinced me enough.

I hope to be able to post some pics within a few days (hey let me play it first). But here is one from the seller: http://www.srvmusic.com/index_files/gitar/tokai2.jpg

It looks like 3tone in this pic but it actually is 2-tone.

So what do you think?
kmarccoco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its an st 80 thats a great price. the ser number seems to date it as a 1981 though. you will need to look at the pickups, determin if its nitro finish. i dont know if 1981's had the stamp(80) on the 22nd fret.
basadam
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickups have the "E" mark, but there is no "80" on the edge of the neck. There is a sticker residue at the back, I understand that indicates post 1980. I don't know how I can tell if it's nitro since I've never seen one before.

I took some pics but not downloaded to my computer yet. I'll post them as soon as they're ready. In any case I played it a bit yesterday and as I said it's the most strat sounding strat I ever put my hands on. Very SRV sounding (not me but the guitar).

Is it true that E marked pickups are by DiMarzio?
kmarccoco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your ser number, and the sticker residue on the back, and no stamp on neck, indicates 1981. the pros can weigh in here though.

they are dimarzzio pickups, much like their ssv1 vintage pups of today.

sounds cool, need some pics though!!!! have fun
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was set on buying a Cort G285 or G290, they're better than Mex Fenders IMO and come with Seymour Duncans (G285) or EMGs (G290).

There's a world of difference between the Cort and a Strat dude....in fact...they are nothing alike apart from having offset bouts and six-a-side tuners.
The Cort is more of a shredder's guitar whereas the Tokai is best suited to blues/blues-rock.
Standard single coils versus Duncan humbuckers or active EMG humbuckers.
http://www.cort.co.kr/english/products/common/view.asp?product_id=116
The sound would be worlds apart.
basadam
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozeshin wrote:
There's a world of difference between the Cort and a Strat dude....

I said I'm a bass player

In fact, looking at my budget, people told me to get a Mex strat and update the pickups and a Cort would be cheaper since they already come with pickups most people recommends. I'm glad that Tokai came up.

Anyways, pics soon!
basadam
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Pics finally Reply with quote

chrisheyes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking Springy - good score mate
rgrafend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! This is a really good deal!

And a beauty as well....

settebello
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!Good deal.
Enjoy it.

Volker
kmarccoco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a great guitar at a great price! nice job..
basadam
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all! Now I need to get a backplate and possibly a tremolo arm. Do you think genuine Fender parts (as sold in guitarpartsresource.com for example) fit?
brad347
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a good'un!
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys
This is a great looking guitar, but looks like a 1979 Rosewood neck on a 1981 ST-80 body.
It wouldn't be the first time....not that it makes a difference really... former owner may have wanted to keep the maple neck (theory)

regards
Peter Mac
settebello
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Mac wrote:

This is a great looking guitar, but looks like a 1979 Rosewood neck on a 1981 ST-80 body.

Hi Peter,
doesnt the 1979 Rosewood neck's have a skunkstripe?

Volker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: