'80 ST80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi!
Just wanted to share some pics of an ST80 I just got. I really like the look and the sound. A few points are not 100%: the saddles were changed obviously, which I don't see as a major point.

However, the neck is not a V like on my other ST80s. Could you comment if this can be correct?
Cheers! R
:eek:

Tremolo.jpg

Total.jpg

Saddles.jpg

Pups.jpg

Plate.jpg

Neckunten.jpg

Neck.jpg

Headstock.jpg

Headback.jpg

Front.jpg

Elektrik.jpg

Cave.jpg

Brett.jpg

Back.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

An important feature of a ST80/ST100/ST120 is the v-shape neck.
I stock at present time 6 ST80/ST100. All of them feature a V-neck shape.
This is also confirmed in the specs. sheet of the Tokai catalogues 1978 ? 1982.
Nevertheless, your guitar may be a good player. Isn?t it?

Hi Gottfried!
Back from vacation? :p

Yes, it is a good player, but I have some doubt this is an ST80. Altough the E-stamped pups indicate higher then ST50, right? Have to check with the seller if the neck has been changed.

Cheers! Rupert

looks like it has the zinc/pot metal block, instead of a steel block

still can't figure out why the Springys have such a following, with the non steel block, skunk stripe & head stock plug with a veneer board

they just seem, well, rather odd..............

MIJvintage said:
looks like it has the zinc/pot metal block, instead of a steel block

still can't figure out why the Springys have such a following, with the non steel block, skunk stripe & head stock plug with a veneer board

they just seem, well, rather odd..............

Well, the late Springys are more correct. My 1982 ST-60 Springy has a steel sustain block. It's a 50's replica with a one piece maple neck. It also has Deluxe stamped tuners and Final Prospec stamped bridge saddles like the Goldstars, not Tokai stamped as on earlier Springys.

Mike

acutally my other ST80 and the ST100 I just got recently from togps both have steel-trem blocks.

Hi Volker!

Just double-checked: you are right, the ST100 doesn't have a steelblock, the ST80 does. I checked with a magnet.

I also did some research on yahoo Japan and found an ST80 GS model. On the pics above you also see "GS" printed in the pup cavity. Any idea what the GS could stand for?

I have the suspicion that when the saddles were changed also the trem-block was changed. And probably the neck too. By the same token: the neck and the fingerboard altough not being V shape are execellent. Btw: I bought this ST80 from Rossi, another forum member for a fair price, so I do not want to complain, just want to find out the facts.

Cheers! Rupert

She is a fantastic player the feel and the sound is past great:She has got to be one of the most loved strat style guitars that have had the pleasure to play:We have all done it sold guitars that we wished we hadnt sold and this is one of them:Ive played should we say 100s of guitars over my 40 years of playing,including a Fender white 59 strat i wish i had that one now,but not for the sound or how it played,but more for the money,hell this Tokai blows it away

rarafend i hope your happy with the guitar,if you have played it,im sure you are
Rossi

Hi Rossi!

It is a really great guitar. It sounds fantastic, just played it for an hour on my boogie. And it looks very nice and is very light.

But as I am more a collector then a player I always collect as much details about my babies as possible.

Btw: do you have any idea what the "GS" stands for? Do you know if the neck was replaced at some point? As stated before I expected it to have a V neck. I have big hands, so I like fat necks.

No problems with the saddles or the trem-block. The pups are top-notch. I guess the "E" stamped ones are Dimarzio?

Cheers! Rupert

Hi Rossi! Gave her some treatment now: bit of a polish, lemon-oil, adjusted neck to my favor. It really doesn't matter that not everything is original. This is just a GREAT babe. Full stop.

Cheers and thanks again for the nice transaction!
Rupert
:D :D :D
IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

She looks beautiful rgrafend you have done a good job (respect)
and its a nice case dont forget the case some forum members drool over cases :p

st 60???? looks like st 80 because of nitro finish.

its hard to see in the pics, but i thought i could see the extra lacquer "goop" on the edges of the pick up cavities. i thought that was a sign of a lacquer finish.. i could be wrong

That looks JUST like my Tokai '80 (serial begins with 0) St-80! It also has a C neck, and no model number in the end of the fretboard. It's a great guitar too.

Mine is Candy Apple Red though.

Back