Edwards LP Truss Rod Cover Question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorMan

Reaction score
I ordered my first Edwards last night and have a question.

The switch to a Gibby style bell-shape truss rod cover is popular with the Tokai crowd...but I've never seen one on a Edwards. Do they not fit Edwards?

Thanks,
Dave

PoorMan said:
I ordered my first Edwards last night and have a question.

The switch to a Gibby style bell-shape truss rod cover is popular with the Tokai crowd...but I've never seen one on a Edwards. Do they not fit Edwards?

Thanks,
Dave

No they dont fit, as the routing goes all the way to the nut, you may be able to use a flat bottomed ones that are used on epiphones, but im not sure if they are the correct length. Its a shame as i have a gibson les paul custom truss rod cover that i used to have on a greco, but it wont fit on my edwards custom :evil:

Thanks. I figured that might be the case. Bummer. I wonder if I could "make" it fit. I guess I'll have to wait and see when I get it.

nothing to drill so i guess should put paint-safe tape there underneath the trc and float the screw or something like that

swimrunner said:
nothing to drill so i guess should put paint-safe tape there underneath the trc and float the screw or something like that

I'll have to see it first to determine if this will work, but I was thinking something more permanent and professional. Like a small wood plug (to screw into), seal, prime, paint, clear, polish etc...

PoorMan said:
I'll have to see it first to determine if this will work, but I was thinking something more permanent and professional. Like a small wood plug (to screw into), seal, prime, paint, clear, polish etc...

That's all fine and good if you never plan on having a truss rod adjustment. After all, it'll still say Edwards on it even with a Gibson cover.

marcusnieman said:
PoorMan said:

That's all fine and good if you never plan on having a truss rod adjustment. After all, it'll still say Edwards on it even with a Gibson cover.

Or I could change that too...nah! Kidding.

I can't really explain my idea in words, but it would not impede the functionality of or access to the trussrod (in theory). I'm thinking more of a very thin bridge.

But I very well may end up realizing my plan simply won't work once I see the guitar in person. Or, more likely, that it isn't worth the effort. I guess I was just thinking out loud.

Now that I think of it...my idea is dumb. Very much not worth the effort.

PoorMan said:
Now that I think of it...my idea is dumb. Very much not worth the effort.

Not really.....I think the Edwards truss rod cover (and current Tokai Japan covers) lack the artistic styling of Gibson's.......they're just plain ugly.

Same with their top shelf artist model Strats and Tele's - there is no Edwards name at all on the headstocks - seems to me they could at least come up with a cool waterslide decal of some kind. I don't want to put Fender on mine either......

Indeed they are hideous. The size bothers me too...it covers so much of the headstock. I feel like it wouldn't be as bad if they didn't have the white layer (which makes it even more prominant). An all black one wouldn't be such an eyesore.

I'll wait until I get it and decide what to do then.

The easiest solution and from anything more than 3 ft. away would create the perfect illusion is to paint the white edging on the original cover black and then put a Gibson cover over it. You could use the top screw to secure both and if you wanted to you could cut the head off another screw and glue it into the bottom hole of the Gibson cover.

marcusnieman said:
Or live with it :wink: Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

LOL! Interesting anology. Not sure I'd consider this guitar a sow's ear, nor a Gibby a silk purse. But I do agree with the "live with it" part. Now that I have the guitar it just doesn't bother me.

Having never played one a couple things came to me as a surprise.
1. A satin finish. (Just didn't expect it. I don't love the way it looks, but it feels great.)
2. Top carve is different from a Gibby (as a result, the bridge sits high off the body)

Oh! Another thing I didn't expect...the binding is kind of brown. Looks like they stained right over it. It's kinda ugly, but it works.

I think they tinted the binding to give it an age appropriate look to the relic body.

The other difference in the carving is that the outer, bound edges of the front are very sharp and scooped at the body transition. You'll notice it when you've been playing it for a couple of hours straight with your picking arm resting on the edge.

Silk purse / sow's ear is an old southern saying - didn't mean to imply anything against your guitar (remember, I have one just like it) or to paint Gibson with an overly pretty brush - simply meant to say, you can't completely make it into what it's not - althought they got pretty **** close.

No worries. I gotcha. I'd never heard that saying before (I like it!) :D

Seems like the "belly" of the top (by the bridge) isn't as high as a Gibby in relation to the neck too. Probably because it rises from a lower point (the scooped edge transition you mentioned). I could be wrong about this (I don't have the guitar here). But I imagine this is why the bridge has to be set so far from the body.

All in all it's a very good guitar. It's just a little "Less" Paul than I expected (ridiculous pun intended).

DSCN1949.jpg

8)

Latest posts

Back