Springy ???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XLarge

Reaction score
I'm not very expert in Springy Sound.
Is it possible to have a Serial Number 1024xxx and Tokai Saddles and Deluxe Tuners?
I have read on forum that Springy usually have TOKAI/TOKAI for saddles and tuners or FINAL PROSPEC/TOKAI for saddles and tuners.

Hi Xlarge!

I guess I came across the same Springy.
http://cgi.ebay.de/Tokai-Springy-Sound-Guitar-ST-60-MIJ_W0QQitemZ320106212469QQihZ011QQcategoryZ112670QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Did you get any advise on it?
Cheers! Rupert

We have a saying here in Oz "there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers"

I could give you one now, but maybe it would be better to wait for the right person, not me, to help you.

Pretty sure you're in the right secttion.

:D

Thanks for reply.
Yes rgrafend, is it...
I have noticed another strange thing. The body of this guitar is more '62 stilish instead '57.
If you see the control cavity, there is a shoulder like '62 models for the added pickguard hole.
But maple neck and 1-ply pickguard with 8 screw holes and skunk stripe are specs about '55-'58 Strat.
Very strange guitar.

The only rule that Tokai guitars have is that there will always be exceptions. This could be one of them

The Tokai stamped saddles indicate that the tremolo will not have a steel block on it. However it does indicate that it's an early Tokai.

One ply pickguard usually implies a top of the range model ST-80 or above, but the pickups are U series not E Series. The top line models had the Di Marzio made pickups with E stamped on the back.

I can't quite work out from the photo's whether there are 11 holes in the body and that the 8 hole pickguard is a replacement.

The wood is alder and not Swamp Ash or Sen as were again used on the top models. This is consistent with the ST-60 description.

It's got well matched grain paterns on the body. I can't easily spot a join to work out how many pieces the body was made out of, cool.

Again it's not a top model as the string tree isn't round, it's the tyical 60's W type.

I wouldn't worry about the shape of the control cavity my 1980 ST-100 '54 model has the very same shape.

The electrics look to be untouched from new too. In fact the guitar looks to be a 'Closet Classic'. It's in remarkable condition.

Serial number is consistent with those from 1981

From some of the photo's you could argue that the paint looks to have the characteristics of Nitro, that misty look and sunk into the grain. If it's poly is a very very thin application.

Peter Mac is in my opinion 'The Expert' on the early Strat copies

Very nice looking Springysound at a very reasonable price. I'd go for it but I've already got 6 Japstrats - Have I invented a new word ? :eek:

Japstrat = Good tone, value for money, well made by experts

Thanks Chris for your reply.
Maybe Peter is THE EXPERT but you too are 'in the mood' with Tokai guitars! 8)

XLarge said:
Thanks Chris for your reply.
Maybe Peter is THE EXPERT but you too are 'in the mood' with Tokai guitars! 8)
While awaiting Peter Mac to chime in with the definitive answer, I'd guess this is likely a 1981 ST-60
I agree 99% with what Chrisheyes says, but should point out that my 1980 ST-60 Springy (0010550) has "TOKAI" stamped saddles AND a steel block.
cool.png

With luck, this may have a steel block too...
...I think the question you have to ask yourself is, are you feeling lucky?
wondering.png

Well there you go XLarge, Cybercat tells us of another exception to a rule !! :eek:

Ask the seller to confirm whether a fridge magnet sticks to tremolo block. If it does then it's made from some form of steel rather than die cast.

chrisheyes said:
Well there you go XLarge, Cybercat tells us of another exception to a rule !! :eek:

Ask the seller to confirm whether a fridge magnet sticks to tremolo block. If it does then it's made from some form of steel rather than die cast.

What is important for me is to know if the tuners are correct or not.
Reading on the forum I knew that Springy should be TOKAI/TOKAI for saddles and tuners, instead my Goldstar have Final Prospec and Deluxe.
On other Springy I have seen Final Prospec for saddles but not Deluxe on tuners.
However if rgrafend want to buy it, no problem.
I've purchased a JV Strat that I hope all original... :wink:
Same questions with Greco Strat guitars. All I have seen reported Greco Deluxe on tuners on double line.
But now I have found two Greco. One reported only deluxe, the other Greco Deluxe on single line.
That's strange because I only have seen on double line.
Replacements or not?
Before to fill my house with guitars, I would prefer to know they are original. I have enough junkie around my home... :p

Are you sure it say's Deluxe on the tuners and not Tokai

The seller may just be describing them as Kluson 'Deluxe' style

If the markings on the end of the neck are similar to those in the neck pickup cavity I wouldn't be that worried. It would prove that it's a Tokai Neck. Why would someone change the tuners as that guitar looks like it has hardly been played.

How does it play and sound are the real questions ?

Hi guys,
sorry to take so long to join the thread....
I am having trouble with this one...
As a 58 reissue ST-50 from 1981 i would say it looks pretty good but it is either a fake or a totally refurbished guitar.
My stumbling blocks are the wiring is incorrect for Springysound and the body has no build+colour stamp (3=2 YS)
I agree with you, Cherisheyes , that as a closet classic it is in remarkably good condition but it is definately an Alder body and the routing is most certainly Tokai.
11 holes would also indicate a rosewood neck was installed initially so to have a maple neck and 8 hole pickguard then it has been replaced....like the saddles and the wiring.
The owner seems to have done a great job photographing just enough to seem authentic but not enough to show beyond a doubt.

Peter Mac

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys,

My stumbling blocks are the wiring is incorrect for Springysound and the body has no build+colour stamp (3=2 YS)

Peter Mac

There is however a stamp in the neck pickup cavity, I can not see what it says but the last letter is an X.

Mike

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys,
sorry to take so long to join the thread....
I am having trouble with this one...
As a 58 reissue ST-50 from 1981 i would say it looks pretty good but it is either a fake or a totally refurbished guitar.
I agree with you, Cherisheyes , that as a closet classic it is in remarkably good condition but it is definately an Alder body and the routing is most certainly Tokai.
11 holes would also indicate a rosewood neck was installed initially so to have a maple neck and 8 hole pickguard then it has been replaced....like the saddles and the wiring.
The owner seems to have done a great job photographing just enough to seem authentic but not enough to show beyond a doubt.

Peter Mac

Thank you Peter. There was something wrong for me, and you confirmed my impressions !

Peter Mac so the rule for springys your saying is

11 hole pickguard = Rosewood neck
8 hole = maple neck

ooops ive a 8 hole pickguard + rosewood finger board 79/81 with E-Pups photos sent to you

Yes it has: ive pm you because i dont know how to post pics yet
Cheers

settebello said:
I ask the question,because my springy has also Rosewood Fingerboard
and Skunkstripe (8 Hole Pickguard).Maby they are not vintage correct.

Volker

Remember that the first Stratocasters from '59 had Single ply pickguard with 8 holes and rosewood fretboard. Or maple neck with 11 holes 3 ply pickguard (but without skunkstripe).
So If i have a guitar with rosewood fretboard, 8 screw holes and single ply pickguard teorically I could have a copy of a '59 Strat.
However, I like Goldstar instead Springy because they are more accurate about vintage specs.

:eek: Are you sure?I found only Fenders 1958:Mable neck,8 Hole Pickguard
1959: Rosewood,11 Hole Pickguard.
And whats about the Skunkstripe on Rosewoodnecks?Peter says there
where only made in 1979,but my Springy is a 1980.
Dont know,whats Rossi's SN says,but might be interesting?

Volker

Latest posts

Back