anyone ever seen one of these before?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westone collector

Reaction score
i was hoping one of you fine gentlemen could tell me something about a guitar i have, i've been searching for information for quite a while now and so far i've found nothing...
i bought this guitar used in the mid 90's from a local music store and at that time it was cream/off white colored and had the tokai logo on the headstock. it's 24 fret, neck thru, and has a pretty unusually shaped body.
it has no serial numbers or identifying marks anywhere on it except for the "patent applied for" and "made by goto" on the back of the pickups.

i recently started refinishing it (sanded it down to bare wood in hopes of staining it and adding a coat of polyeurethane) and it rekindled my curiousity, can anyone tell me what this is? i'm not interested in the value of it, just what model and how old. it's like a member of the family...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/viciousroadie/Picturethis2a234234rt56002.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/viciousroadie/Picturethis2a234234rt56004.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/viciousroadie/axes/Picturethis2a234234010.jpg

HI, can't be 100% but your guitar looks more like an ARIA (80s) as it
has got that very distinct peghead & looking at the bridge & tailpiece it
also looks like standard ARIA stock . body shape i am not shure of but
looks like ARIA (because shape not too far from one of their cardinal range) but with a BC rich twist. I may be wrong but im sure one of our
forum members will be able to help.
any way it looks great....

So, if it's Aria try this pages:

http://matsumoku.org/guitars.html

And a forum:

http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/index.php

i'm still pretty certain this is a 60's tokai. i figured i'd try again and see if i could finally get some info. from someone who wasn't here when i origionally posted this.
thanks,
tom

Have you got any pictures from before you stripped it down? Very much doubt that I'll be able to help, but the logo might get you some extra info from someone else. Shots inside the pickup cavities and of the electronics might be useful too.

Interested to know what it's like as a guitar, and what it looks like now.

westone collector said:
i'm still pretty certain this is a 60's tokai. i figured i'd try again and see if i could finally get some info. from someone who wasn't here when i origionally posted this.
thanks,
tom

Go to Tokai's website and send them an email, that will settle it once and for all.
Is it a neck through? if it is i doubt its a Tokai..

[email protected] Tokai email addy

Mick

:wink: seek and ye shall find

Here's a guitar very similar to that in a 1981 Tokai catalog. There is a picture bottom right of Mick Ronson playing it, and I believe the guitar was described as a "Tokai Special".

volume548.jpg

I would take leadguitar's advice and contact Tokai. Maybe you could also ask them about Mick Ronson's "Tokai Special".

thank you very much, at least i know a little more about it now than i have for the last 10 years or so. i'm not even going to ask if it's valueble, i've had it longer than any other guitar and i hope to get it back together and play it again fairly soon.

i did notice that the one in the picture was slightly different than mine. mine has the dark wood (mohogany?) in the center section and the lighter colored wood for the wings. the one in the picture seems to be reversed so that only the wings are mohogany. i'm guessing that since mine seems to have more mohogany in it mine will sound a little better?

someone asked about it's condition before i stripped it... before i took it apart it played great. low action, no dead frets, rediculous tone, and some pretty amazing sustain. i also own an ibanez xiphos with dimarzio d'activators and as far as i can remember the tokai sounds better, most likely due to the tokai having a fixed bridge? i'm more of a collector than a "musician" so please excuse me if i sound like a total idiot.

as for the question of it's current condition, it's still apart - only now it's completely sanded down and ready for stain. i'm planning on staining it with green or red tinted stain unless one of you fine gentlemen have a better suggestion...

when she's all back together and all set up i'll upload a picture...
thanks VERY MUCH for the help, i truly appreciate it.

If it were mine, I'd let the wood ? and the design ??do the talking. Look at in a certain way and you imagine a flying vee, even though it isn't that at all. Look at it another way and there's a hint of Strat or BC Rich. I reckon a stain would distract from the ambiguity, by reducing the contrast between the two woods.

Think you need to get yourself some white jeans and a white shirt and get up on stage with it. And make sure to give the lighting tech specific instructions about highlighting the guitar from different angles every now and then?

BlueThird said:
If it were mine, I'd let the wood ? and the design ??do the talking. Look at in a certain way and you imagine a flying vee, even though it isn't that at all. Look at it another way and there's a hint of Strat or BC Rich. I reckon a stain would distract from the ambiguity, by reducing the contrast between the two woods.

Think you need to get yourself some white jeans and a white shirt and get up on stage with it. And make sure to give the lighting tech specific instructions about highlighting the guitar from different angles every now and then?

i can respect that, most of that...
i don't know about wearing the all white outfit though, not my style at all. hahaha. maybe though, i'd definitely rock a straightjacket. as far as using it on stage is concerned, it'll probably never happen. when i step foot on a stage it's only because i'm a roadie and i'm lugging gear for friends.

i completely agree about showcasing the woodgrain, when i stripped off the cream colored paint (obviously factory painted) i couldn't believe that it had ever been painted at all. i wasn't going to stain it dark enough that the contrast between the two different woods would be unnoticable. i just thought it would look like a million bucks if it had a transparent red or green finish. any recomendations on how to go about sealing and protecting the wood if i decided to keep a natural finish?

Back