Love Rock Pickup Change

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fartoomany

Reaction score
Hi, I recently aquired a 1980 LS50. It has the original "Double Whites" in it which are not bad to be fair. The bridge pickup is a little microphonic with very high gain however. (I could just get this potted I suppose)

I am thinking about changing the pickups. Possibly to Seymour Duncan '59? Anyone tried this pickup on a Love Rock ?

What's your opinions on a good replacement ?

I got a set of vintage style PAFs wound with NOS 60's wire from WB Pickups. They're in my Gibson LP and they sound fat and crunchy.

There's tons of other options as well. I happen to love the old Ibanez Super 70's pickups, which are usually pretty cheap.

fartoomany said:
I am thinking about changing the pickups. Possibly to Seymour Duncan '59? Anyone tried this pickup on a Love Rock ?

What's your opinions on a good replacement ?

Hi,
didn't have the SD in a Love Rock but in my Edwards (stock together with a SH-4/JB) ...

Very good pup, warm sounding with pronounced highs, more midrange tones ...
I've replaced them with Kloppmanns ... tremendous upgrade - although those pups are that expensive - I love them though ... :lol:
Have to compare them to my BareKnuckles still ... but I've got no energy to start that project at the moment ... :wink: :wink:

Roger

Ducati said:
I got a set of vintage style PAFs wound with NOS 60's wire from WB Pickups. They're in my Gibson LP and they sound fat and crunchy.

There's tons of other options as well. I happen to love the old Ibanez Super 70's pickups, which are usually pretty cheap.

Great yes but not cheap anymore. Go tell em that over at the ICW site.

I'd recommend Duncan 59s for any LP style guitar. Preferably with exposed bobbins. Great value. Make sure your pots are 500K audio & you've some decent paper/oil caps.

I put Wolfetone Dr. Vintage pu's in my 1980 LS-120 and think these are some of the best pickups going. They're not cheap, but they really opened up the guitar for me. They replaced some Burstbuckers which sounded muddy to me. (www.wolfetone.com)

I also have Seth Lovers in my LS-320 (which are original to the guitar). These are fantastic pickups as well.

Ok, thanks for all your views. Still not sure tbh, but youve given me a bit more to think about.

Haven't tried these yet but i'm going to awesome prices and they will make anything you want http://www.highorderpickups.com/.

I wound up putting Seth Lovers in my Love Rock and they sound great.
I've also got a set of SD 59's I haven't tried yet, but might use them in another guitar.
I was going to go for the High Orders, but after emailing, and getting a reply and price for 2 sets of the pickups I wanted, I emailed to get a final price to Canada with shipping so I could paypal the funds. That was the last I heard, no reply. That was about 6 weeks ago.
I didn't really feel too confident about ordering after that so I didn't bother emailing again.
They're great sounding pickups, and Jeff seemed like a good guy, informative and he had a good idea of what I was looking for.
I thought everything was ready to go.
Guess he didn't want the business.

I have a set of VH-1's on the way, so I will be fitting these shortly. I think I am going to update all the electrics at the same time. I have been looking at the fake 58 kit (the kit not the ready made loom). Anyone used these, I would be interested in your comments.

After that, I am considering going for a lightweight tailpiece and brass abr.

Hi,

I don't know what the "fake 58 kit" is - is it the 50s wiring mod ???

OK - just noticed it ... very expensive !!! You know that the bumblebees are just a fake (as the name says) - I would recommend Mallorys 150 !!! :wink: :wink:

I can recommend the 50s wiring, a great upgrade in tone ...
For me it's amazing how tone pots and vol pots interact when you have the toggle in the middle position ... you can add or diminish the influence of either the neck pup or the bridge one just by using the vol pots ... and it will sound bright or more deep ... and this woody, growling basses providing sound hhmmmmm ... Wonderful upgrade in tonal changes ... !!!

Roger

Yes, I was thinking of the 50's wiring. Fake 58 is a web site (villager pointed me to this in one of his posts). The kit I was looking at is not the pre wired one, it is further down the page and is just the components you need. eg cts pots, orange caps, switch and jack and wire of course.

YES, I know them - I've purchased the "bumblebees" once but went back to my Mallorys, because for me it's a better sound ...

If you'll need help to install the 50s wiring ... cry loud ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger

Latest posts

Back