differences between two ls models ???????

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, the LS65 is a plain top and the LS85 is a flame top,i think!
Btw i think the LS65 is now the LS80. The LS numbers have changed recently in the UK. The 65 represnts 65000 yen and a price increase would make it a higher number say, LS80.
Have a look on ebay at richtone musics page at the photos
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Love-Ro...146959QQihZ018QQcategoryZ112670QQcmdZViewItem
The Tokai prefix system is rather confusing as 2 different shops could advertise the same guitar with different numbers.

on the uk tokai website it only states the ls 65 as the current model then a ls75???? both of these models are prefixed by a A but they are japanese?????? bloody confusing :roll:

YEP :D , the UK Tokai site is out of date. The A prefix isn't used in the UK so ignore that. The LS65 (plain top) is the entry level jap loverock (now the LS80?). The LS70 (flame top) is now the LS85F and the LS75Q is the quilt top finish, now the LS90Q i think. I had the same problem working out what's wot when i was ordering mine. I ended up just going by what finish it had i.e plain, flamed or quilted.
This is one area Tokai could learn a few things off Gibson :D

I bought a 98 Love Rock LS-70F a while back, wich has a sycamore veneer top, on solid maple mind you, I believe that is now listed as LS-80F or LS-90F
Correct me if I'm wrong you helpful gurus please!

bf_12_sb.jpg

It's LS85F now mate.

New batch of Japanese Tokai coming in soon - interesting to see whether we get a whole new batch of codes!!!! :roll:

Thanks Guitarslinger
I'll still call her a LS-70F, unless I sell her, NOT!!!!!
Best guitar I've ever had, including my G>>>on LP Jr
The Jr can do thing the Standard can't but that is why I got her aswell

ICAM0114.jpg

66_12_s.jpg

Hawkeye is the last pic your LS70F? if yes that is a stunning veneer! Looks very much like the tops from LS200+

The sycamore veneers are really good - the last batch of LS85F japanese were really really good for this. Thinking about it, if you have a good piece of wood, you can spread the looks around a number of instruments by cutting thin pieces for the tops.

Seems to make good sense to me - great looks, easier on price and you still get the maple underneath.....there is a lot to be said for this if it's done well i think.

Seems to make good sense to me - great looks, easier on price and you still get the maple underneath.....there is a lot to be said for this if it's done well i think.

Vaneering is a real craft - a lot of guitarist (on certain forums that often deal with a certain other brand) look down on vaneers, often equating it with plywood - when actually they couldn't be more wrong.

I love the flame that the sycamore gives - seems a little more vibrant than a lot of "genuine" flamed maple. Certainly would never trade my 70F/80F or whatever it's called this week for anything!

The "veneer" in Tokais is no more thicker that the 1 mm. How much does is afffect the sound since the total thicjkess of the "maple" is more than 5-20 mm or something, I'm not sure.

Matti

Well, i would suggest that (to most people) it wouldn't really be that noticeable. Given the proportions you mentioned. Sycamore actually has similar tonal properties to Maple anyway. The only question is whether there is a detraction from the sound because of it not being one piece of wood........

I've got this gorgeous Yamaha acoustic guitar which has white Sycamore back and sides which is absolutely amazing. It's one of the higher end compass series electro acoustics and i couldn't be happier with it.

You reckon we could get a sycamore tone wood appreciation forum going?? :eek: :D :lol: :p

LOL
here is a few mor pics of the Sycamore top

77_12_s.jpg

b2_12_s.jpg

PC080370.jpg

PC080369.jpg

PC080373.jpg

Most of the pics are for the mod kit that Togps supplies, but you can clearly see the beutiful grain, and the sound out of this baby is something else!!!!!
Can't see why a really thin veneer top should affect the tone, this thing is coming in at 4.6kg!! a 4 hr gig hurts!!!!

Q no 1: Is there a significant difference between the tone and sound overall of these new guitars, meaning ls 75-90?

Q no 2:
I live in Finland and was also wondering that are those guitars , which they have in stock here , maybe the dog ones, that they decided to sell as far away as possible. Alot of people in this forum writes about ordering them from Japan.
What i do know that all the best ones (that do arrive to the shop near me) have been taken by the staff, but that happens everywhere. The best ones never go to the wall - they go to insiders.

Of course people in this forum can?t answer from a first hand experience (unless you bought one from Helsinki) but somebody might know how this thing REALLY goes in real life?

Of course i?m gonna try n decide by myself, but i?m working hard to afford one, and i would like to hear you?re thoughts...

And sorry my bad english, but i?m just an eskimo from Finland, so i can?t help it.

Just want THAT sound...

Back