LS85F vs LS135/LS230 Mahogany Grades

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

math2014

Reaction score
Hi all,

Plain and simple shootout.

LS85F vs LS135/LS230

I am looking for a complement to my LS85Q (Tonepros/Alutailpiece etc...). I am 100% satisfied by the LS85Q compared to several Gibsons i have A/Bed against it (LP Classics/Stds/Customs).

I am totally aware and informed of ALL the specs differences between LS85F and LS135/LS230 apart from one. The grade of the mahogany used.

Is there any difference on the grade of the mahogany used on the LS85F and the 135/230 models? or the price difference only corresponds to CTS/Switchcraft/Blackbeauty caps/ 1 piece back/ Nitro?

Finally the LS135 has 800eu price difference to the LS230... does this reflect ONLY the change from plain top to flame top?

Thank you for the replies in advance guys. To summarize... i couldnt care less about 1 piece backs and flame caps vs veneers or nitro vs poly, as much as the grade of woods uses with respect to tone and quality. So please advise me based on this

I can say the mahogany grade is different,as up you go on the line, more resonant the guitar unplugged is.I can say it?s a different feel. I was lucky enough to test LS70,85 and 150 and liked the 150 the best.Mine was with very little flame(more like the 135) but no problem and it is a really good guitar 1 piece body,whereas 85 was two pieces body.The balance was better on 150,betetr guitar to me.I exchange pickups to Burstbuckers and that was the only mod needed,a trusty gig guitar. If you have the money and can play both guitar I?m sure you would buy the 150.....

Hey luis long time no see

Well i got the money (not to be wasted though), but i cannot test the guitars before buying them unfortunately...

I can say that my 2piece LS85Q has a VERY loud and detailed acoustic tone with lots of harmonics. Did i just get a good one? (long tenon btw, and no model number in the pup cavity... so i am guessing its an LS85Q but it is one of the few LS85Q if not the only one in the UK that came with an original tokai case).

The LS135 will be even more resonant? Is there any chance to get an LS135 with a slight flame? (like an old 59er).

Tokais are very even in quality in my opinion,but there are some better than others as accurs with any brand. Don?t know if you can get a 135 with mild flame,I guess not possible,if you want that would go for a custom order through Gottfried or Tokai UK. The flamed model is LS230(I guess similar to some old 150s flamed arrived to UK).You know good wood is not easily avalaible and it cost more to the buyers(bad for us....)
If you have the money go to the 135,you will not regret it.Let me know if you finally get it,I?venever seen any in detail...

So you mean that in Tokais the quality/price does indeed linear with respect to actual quality right?

I ve seen an LS135 with slight flame that Gottfried posted some time ago... i hope he ll chime in...

luis said:
Tokais are very even in quality in my opinion,but there are some better than others as accurs with any brand. Don?t know if you can get a 135 with mild flame,I guess not possible,if you want that would go for a custom order through Gottfried or Tokai UK. The flamed model is LS230(I guess similar to some old 150s flamed arrived to UK).You know good wood is not easily avalaible and it cost more to the buyers(bad for us....)
If you have the money go to the 135,you will not regret it.Let me know if you finally get it,I?venever seen any in detail...

Guys,

I was having the same dilema a couple of weeks ago. What do I buy? After asking a TON of questions to a dealer in Japan, I was told that it isn't possible to get a 135 with flame, and that the next one up was the 230. Here's where it gets inetersting though -

I then did more research on this site and came across info on the 150. When I asked my dealer in Japan, he confirmed that it's not a regular model, but that Tokai was going to be producing a batch soon under the name LS-165. I ended up doing a Yahoo Japan search for a 150 and found one 2 years old in great condition that is on the way as we speak. If it's a 150 you want, then apparently they are going to be available. I went with the 150 because I wanted a flame top and the price was just too much for the 230, for my level of playing. Good luck.

Jason

Good info Jason!

Agreed i simply cannot justify 800eu difference for just a flame cap between the LS135 and the LS230... if i can find LS150 (or 165) in Europe, then i ll get it!

I have a LS230 and it plays beautifully. The major thing about it is the weight. Extremely light for a LP. Excelent acustic sound. A great guitar.

I remember some special custom models advertised in Guitar Universe website some time ago,Honduras mahogany necks.Maybe pre- actual models,testimng the waters when Tokai was growing in fame....
Nice hearing about 230s having a light weight,i?m curious now....

Well 4.3 says nothing on its own... if it plays good then it plays good :)

I wonder where can i find an LS150 :roll:

math2014 said:

I just did a search on Yahoo Japan for 'Tokai LS-150', then sent e-mails to the shops that had one. Eventually, I got a reply. If you want to order and wait for a new one, drop a line to Yoshi at Guitar Universe. The link on the Registry doesn't work but I posted his new website a few weeks ago. Do a search and you'll find it easily. Good luck.

Jason

Big Willie Style said:
math2014 said:

I just did a search on Yahoo Japan for 'Tokai LS-150', then sent e-mails to the shops that had one. Eventually, I got a reply. If you want to order and wait for a new one, drop a line to Yoshi at Guitar Universe. The link on the Registry doesn't work but I posted his new website a few weeks ago. Do a search and you'll find it easily. Good luck.

Jason

Cheers man, but i want to find a dealer in Europe only.

That's up to you for sure but I think you'll probably pay less if you order it from Japan. From what I've seen, prices in the UK seem to be a fair bit higher than what you'd pay abroad, even with duties and shipping charges.

Hi, Wizard Guitars in Sheffield, they have a LS-150!!! http://www.wizardguitars.com/

That's the reason why I didn't buy it :lol:
Maybe you could ask for a better price..?

Latest posts

Back