Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Buyer looking for advice

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
odgeuk
I only know 3 chords


Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 19
Location: Worthing, UK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: New Buyer looking for advice Reply with quote

Hi all!

I'm really hanging for a Gibson Les Paul Custom in Ebony (two pickup version, not the three pickup model). These have to be the most rockin' looking guitars I've ever seen and I've had a fascination with them ever since I bought my first Guitar tuition book, which had one on the front cover.

I've been toying with selling a Marshall head to fund one, but been just floored by how much Gibson are asking for Custom's at the moment. My local guitar shop is asking over ?2000 !

So....like a lot of visitors to this site, I'm trying to see if a replica can be had for much less money. I'm thinking around ?600-?700 tops really.

Sounds wise? I'm looking for a Les Paul that sounds like Jimmy Page's Les Paul on the "Song Remains the Same" DVD. You know, that Woody, crunchy, vintage LP sound, that sounds particularly good in the "Both Pickups on" selector switch position. I'd also be looking to get a Paul Kossoff, Slash, Peter Frampton thing going on.

I wouldn't mind upgrading parts, as long as the build quality was there. ie. It's a high-grade Mahogany body with solid maple cap, with accurate LP dimensions.

I think every copy I've looked at, is lacking something from a 'proper' Gibson that rules it out. I'm really looking for a copy that is 99% indistinguisble from the 'real thing' if it were to be placed next to it.

Am I asking too much at this price range? Would the Orville by Gibson guitars be the best bet?

Cheers!



Last edited by odgeuk on Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
odgeuk
I only know 3 chords


Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 19
Location: Worthing, UK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, that I have a brother who lives and works in Japan. He comes back to the UK maybe twice a year, speaks fluent Japanese.

Is this a situation I could use to my advantage in any way?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
deoreo
Guitar God


Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 51
Location: N. Canton, OH USA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This:
http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/vintage/lc/lc85s/lc85ss.html

or more expensive:
http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/premium/lc/lc180s/lc180ss.html

Or this:
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/index.html
Under the Lacquer Taste Series tab on the left
The E-LP-90LTC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
odgeuk
I only know 3 chords


Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 19
Location: Worthing, UK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deoreo wrote:
This:
http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/vintage/lc/lc85s/lc85ss.html

or more expensive:
http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/premium/lc/lc180s/lc180ss.html

Or this:
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/index.html
Under the Lacquer Taste Series tab on the left
The E-LP-90LTC


Loving the LC180S, with the ebony fingerboard.

Any thoughts/opinions on the Orville by Gibson's?

thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Andyt
Power chords are my friend


Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Buyer looking for advice Reply with quote

odgeuk wrote:
Hi all!

I'm really hanging for a Gibson Les Paul Custom in Ebony (two pickup version, not the three pickup model). These have to be the most rockin' looking guitars I've ever seen and I've had a fascination with them ever since I bought my first Guitar tuition book, which had one on the front cover.

I've been toying with selling a Marshall head to fund one, but been just floored by how much Gibson are asking for Custom's at the moment. My local guitar shop is asking over ?2000 !

So....like a lot of visitors to this site, I'm trying to see if a replica can be had for much less money. I'm thinking around ?600-?700 tops really.

Sounds wise? I'm looking for a Les Paul that sounds like Jimmy Page's Les Paul on the "Song Remains the Same" DVD. You know, that Woody, crunchy, vintage LP sound, that sounds particularly good in the "Both Pickups on" selector switch position. I'd also be looking to get a Paul Kossoff, Slash, Peter Frampton thing going on.

I wouldn't mind upgrading parts, as long as the build quality was there. ie. It's a high-grade Mahogany body with solid maple cap, with accurate LP dimensions.

I think every copy I've looked at, is lacking something from a 'proper' Gibson that rules it out. I'm really looking for a copy that is 99% indistinguisble from the 'real thing' if it were to be placed next to it.

Am I asking too much at this price range? Would the Orville by Gibson guitars be the best bet?

Cheers!



How about my Burny Les Paul Custom ?
i got pictures listed here in this thread
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695&sid=23f20cb54c2c7cc7a3b50533368b2559
Its got Bareknuckle Blackdog Pickups in it (Jimmy Page replica's) too
Email me if you want more info and pixs
Im in devon so we could meet up if you wanted to check it out in person.
Cheers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
odgeuk
I only know 3 chords


Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 19
Location: Worthing, UK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: New Buyer looking for advice Reply with quote

Andyt wrote:


How about my Burny Les Paul Custom ?
i got pictures listed here in this thread
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695&sid=23f20cb54c2c7cc7a3b50533368b2559
Its got Bareknuckle Blackdog Pickups in it (Jimmy Page replica's) too
Email me if you want more info and pixs
Im in devon so we could meet up if you wanted to check it out in person.
Cheers


Thanks Andy. It's really an Ebony though that I'm looking for. Tezza-J is hopefully sending some pics of his ObG Custom soon, which he is offering for sale.

Andy, the White Burny does look great though. Looks like a much better quality version of my old 'Columbus' Les Paul copy!

Cheers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Andyt
Power chords are my friend


Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its actually better than my mates 70's gibson custom.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group