Steve Vai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozeshin

Reaction score
An exerpt from an interview with Steve Vai:
Speaking of sound, you use two distortions pedals as the basis of your distinct guitar tone, an Ibanez Tube Screamer and a Boss DS-1?

Yeah?but I?ve just finished designing a pedal with Ibanez called the Gemini that is coming out sometime next year. It is two pedals in one, two distortion pedals that are both voiced differently. And the volumes are voiced differently too. It?s really great because now I can set the distortions completely differently where if I want a little bit of a kick or a particular sound, I kick one in and then I can kick the other one in for a more distorted sound and it especially works great if you use a clean amp.
See what he says about using a distorted/overdriven tone though a clean amp?
Shucks...and I thought I was the only one :roll:

Hey Ozeshin, 20 years ago when i lived in sydney, my brother had a 100 watt fender twin,wonderful clean sounding amp.I was over his place jamming one day and i decided to play my Jackson through my original Rat distortion pedal into the fender.Holy sh-t what a sound it was incredible agressive and tight, i was completely blown away. So yeah i would definately run a distortion pedal through a clean amp .........and hold on haha :D

Yeah Mick...
I run my ZOOM G2 effects unit running a Peavey 5150 model through the clean channel of my B52 100watt 2x12 combo into a 4x12 quad.
I step on the overdrive channel for a volume boost for solos and it's the hugest sound you've ever heard...massive.
The added benifit of the setup is that when I want a crystal clean tone the zoom has a brilliant accoustic model that rings like a bell for clean work through the clean channel.

Hey Ozeshin, these days i prefer rich tube distortion. If you like the 5150 what sort of music are you playing ??And i thought you said somewhere you are from brisvegas ,if so where abouts??

Hey Mick...
I live near Toowoomba....30 mins out of town.
My band plays "classic rock"...Stones...Cream...Hendrix..Doors....I guess it's ok...not necesarilly what I'm into though.
I grew up on a steady dose of Lizzy...Moore...Y&T...Saxon...Whitesnake...Maiden....Pat Travers.....but mostly Lizzy.
So my tastes are a bit heavier than the rest of my band and they make fun of me being a bit of a metalhead....but better than being an old fart I guess.
Anyways...all the local Emo kids think that I'm their god..asking me to show em how to play the trooper and stuff like that :roll:

Hey Ozeshin, cool story, mines very similar except not in a band at the moment .I'm well and truly over playing covers, writing originals at the moment and definately will put another band together one day.
Thin Lizzy was the first band i ever saw live :D it was at festival hall {gone now :cry: }I'm also a little bit heavier than most guys my age too,as i grew up on a diet of Sabbath, deep purple led zepplin Ozzy etc etc.
I am into Black label society and Sevendust and the like but i enjoy playing anything.I live in the Redlands and i am also an old fart{or so they tell me}...hahaha :D

Hey Mick...
AC/DC...(Tantrum as they were known in those days) were the first band I ever saw live.
On the steps of the Sydney Opera House at free gig.
The next year (1978) I saw Thin Lizzy on the same spot for free again.
Two weeks ago I walked into a discount DVD store and found that very gig on DVD for $4.95.
This week went into the same store and found a DVD version of the Live and Dangerous tour for $9.95 plus I have heaps of footage of them with John Sykes. 8)

Latest posts

Back