Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pics at last!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keving
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: pics at last!!!! Reply with quote

finally got some pics while missus is out(crimbo pressie). anyone any clues on oval mark on back of head stock, have original pups but s/ds sound fine for now. i'm told original finish olympic white-evidence of paint at neck/body joint. has been waxed so dont know how successful restoration would be but looks nice anyway. sold as a '84 goldstar but obviously disguised as f*****. any info at all would be appreciated.[img][/img]
chrisheyes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oval mark at the base of the neck near the body is where a black sticker with a white number on it used to be. The number indicated which model the guitar was, typically 38 to 120.

The number also indicated the list price of the guitar 38,000 to 120,000 Yen.

Next to the small oval sticker it would have been a Made in Japan sticker, a thin rectangular one - creating a mark just like yours shows

From looking at the end grain on your guitar, the body is made from 3 pieces of wood suggesting a middle range model.

The large oval sticker shading on the back of the headstock is not a typical Tokai marking.
keving
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your info. dont know whether to be worried about oval mark or not!! maybe previous owner/s had some sort of sticker on it. regardless it plays/sounds great and i've got it with the intention of gigging with it. thanks again and sorry bout the dodgy pics.
helge_e21
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greco strat had an oval sticker with the model number on it. i think its smaller though.

javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helge_e21 wrote:
greco strat had an oval sticker with the model number on it. i think its smaller though.

I've never seen that type of sticker on a Tokai, I think it was probably a sticker from a music store there.

Mike
keving
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its frustrating-or is that what makes it fun- that there is so much mystery around tokais. i'll have more infowhen i can get under scratchplate and check for s/no's and markings. incidentally, there are no final prospec markings on bridge.

thanks to everyone for their help.
mike martin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hold the neck up to the light and you might see a number that has come through the sticker . that is the model nomber. i.e st 50 or 80 or even higher it signifies the cost of guitar st50= 5000 yen and so on
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That finish makes me horny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: