goldstarsound pick-up question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruttiman

Reaction score
Hi,

First of all: great forum!
I have a question: I recently bought a goldstarsound ST-40 (olympic White; Final prospec; replaced tuners; 3ply guard; 6 digits serial number, 1984/85?). At first i was very happy, but after hearing back a tape of our band it sounded thin to me, though it plays like butter (very smooth maple neck). After reading more about it i realise the St-40 is the low end model. I'm now thinkin about replacing the pick-ups to improve the sound.

Does anyone have experience with new pick-ups on an ST-40. Is the ST-40, though low end, still considered very good? Is it worth spending money on new pickups for an ST-40, or is the guitar itself not good enough?)

thnx in advance, greeting Rutger

Hi Rutger,
The ST-40 is the lower end model, but dont be put off, as the woodwork & construction is the same as the higher end models. The only differences being Pick ups, Tuners & Trem Block. Your pick ups are still good, but as you have noticed are a little thin & bright, and can squeal a bit if you use high gain, but as usual it depends on personal taste. Opinions will vary, but an upgrade to Seymour Duncan APS Alnicos or similar would be a nice upgrade. Fender Texas Specials are more middle biased and less "stratty" but a good option at a reasonable price. Or you can spend lots on Lollar, Fralins etc depending on your budget. But basically your guitar is a great base and worth upgrading in my opinion.

There's nothing wrong with the ST-40's (AST/TST-40) except for the tuners which are Gotoh budget tuners. The tremolo is the 70's style used also on Silver Stars, it's cast in one piece and has cast saddles. The pickups have ceramic bar magnets and steel poles but I don't think they sound thin (compared to other single coils), in my opinion they sound quite good. I've replaced the tuners on my AST-40 with "Deluxe" Klusons, I also replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan Hot Stacks (neck/mid) and a Little '59 humbucker (bridge). The quality of the body and neck is the same as on a TST-50.

Mike

Hi!

I have a St-40 and i have replaced the pickups with Texas specials .

The original PU's dousnt sound bad but the Texas specials are mutch better .

Its a good upgrade and if you change things about the Tokai AlWAYS ! keep the original parts !

HI, HAVE GOT 4 TOKAI STRATS & HAVE CHANGED THE PICK UPS ON TWO . ON MY 54 COPY PREVIOUS OWNER HAD PUT A COPY OF A HOTRAILS (think it was a bill lawrence) OK BUT NOT FOR ME ,SO FITTED A DUNCAN STAGGERED POLE 100% IMPROVEMENT
ON MY MOST RECENT TOKAI (a silverstar) TWO OF THE PICKUPS HAD BEEN CHANGED TO STAGGERED POLE DUNCANS ,BUT A FRIEND OF MINE HAD A COMPLETE SET OF FENDERS FROM A 78 (flatpole, not as crisp as the duncans ) BUT MORE IN KEEPING .
IF YOU CAN ,TRY A FEW STRAT TYPE GUITARS AT YOUR LOCAL DEALERS & LISTEN TO THE DIFFERENCE THEN DECIDE FOR YOURSELF

As I read your posts you mention several times " budget " or cheap Gotoh tuners. Can anyone post a picture of these? I have just bought a Goldstar TST ( have no idea which model ), the sticker is long gone but it has " TOKAI " stamped saddles and a L***** number on the neckplate. The pickguard is a flimsy single ply. There are two single pole PU's that sound reall good but some numbskull haggled out a hole in the pickguard and installed a humbucker. Anyway I've got a set of Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's to install when the new guard get's in!
I believe this is a pre 1982 model, the neck is a work of art ,but as I said the tuners look to be cheapos.
What could this be T-40, T-50, T-60 ?

slowpenguin said:
As I read your posts you mention several times " budget " or cheap Gotoh tuners. Can anyone post a picture of these? I have just bought a Goldstar TST ( have no idea which model ), the sticker is long gone but it has " TOKAI " stamped saddles and a L***** number on the neckplate. The pickguard is a flimsy single ply. There are two single pole PU's that sound reall good but some numbskull haggled out a hole in the pickguard and installed a humbucker. Anyway I've got a set of Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's to install when the new guard get's in!
I believe this is a pre 1982 model, the neck is a work of art ,but as I said the tuners look to be cheapos.
What could this be T-40, T-50, T-60 ?

They look like this:

TK7858010.JPG

If the tuners look like this the guitar is probably a TST-40. TST-50 and higher spec models had Deluxe stamped (Tokai on the early Springy's) Kluson type tuners.

Mike

Bingo!!! That's my tuners - exact match - Thanks Mike!
Mine must be a TST - 40. I'm keeping the originals of course, but have installed a set of vintage Kluson style tuners.
As I said, the two remaining single coil pickups sound good, but there were no markings of any kind. One was a grey bottom and one was black. Do you think they are original?
( I did find out that the humbucker was a 1983 Gibson )
Thanks again - great picture!

slowpenguin said:
Bingo!!! That's my tuners - exact match - Thanks Mike!
Mine must be a TST - 40. I'm keeping the originals of course, but have installed a set of vintage Kluson style tuners.
As I said, the two remaining single coil pickups sound good, but there were no markings of any kind. One was a grey bottom and one was black. Do you think they are original?
( I did find out that the humbucker was a 1983 Gibson )
Thanks again - great picture!

Normally the TST/AST-40's seem to have grey bobbin pickups with a ceramic bar magnet under. There are no markings on them but except for the bar magnet and steel poles they look like the alnico magnet versions.

Mike

i have a 1984 black/maple neck ST-40 goldstar. i performed the usual mods: pickups, tuners, jack, toggle, pots, (to 500k) wiring. it is my main strat now, and it's great. i can recommend rio grande "vintage tallboys" (http://www.riograndepickups.com/2.html). i've never heard the Lollar pickups, but they seem to be the boutique flavour of the year nowadays; i'm sure they're good...but rio grande pickups do not dissappoint if you want vintage tone.

here's a link to my goldstar...good luck to you. the small upgrades you do to your strat will be worth it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_b/35191058/in/set-779067/

Back