advice/help- korea v japan - from a fresher

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philthefrisp

Reaction score
last time I owned a tokai we had none of this internet nonsense - tokai lefty strat bought in 1985 for ?240 sold in 1990 for ?70 :( - I know, I know.

anyway, that was then.....after growing up and getting sensible now just turned 40 and back into boys toys - currently looking at a SG stylee tokai but seems there's options tween a very nice sg45 and sg75 - korean v japan - there's about 200 quid difference in price. sooooooo, is it worth forking out the extra cash for the "better" one, bearing in mind I belong more to the joe strummer rather than mick jones school of rock.

advice from wise heads would be appreciated

As always it will be budget that determines your choice..

I think its fair to say that 9 times out of 10 the Japanese models will be better than the Koreans, things such as finish and quality of the components will be improved which is what you will be paying extra for.

The korean versions are perfectly adequate, but if you have GAS and you have the budget, then probably the Japanese model is the way to go..

Just my oppinion obviously ;-) I own both types ;-)

I think you have to judge each on their own merit, they are different beasties! the Korean Les Pauls feel a little to modern and lightweight. The SG's however I would have no problems with!

thanks for the advice guys,

bitten the bullet and gone for the usg70 - looks like i'm once again the proud owner of a tokai.

problem is it's been bought via the internet sight unseen and unheard - albeit from a reliable uk retailer. trust it will be spot on - certainly the pics look fantastic. don't think i'm taking too much of risk and should complement my us tele!

now, if only I could trace that '85 strat........ :oops:

Latest posts

Back