LS-320 in the House

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currypowder

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
I just sold several guitars and had GAS for one high quality guitar. After toying with the idea of springing for an R9, I decided to keep an eye out for an LS-320. I saw a couple on ebay, but didn't like the reddish tops. Then I ran across a 2003 in an ebay store that had what looked like a killer top. After a bit of negotiations on the price, I pulled the trigger (if buckwild had posted his a week earlier, I would not have hesitated). It arrived yesterday. It plays easier than any guitar I've ever owned. I'm not real good at describing tone, but it has a warmth and depth that I've never experienced with any of my set-neck guitars. I generally find bridge pickups to be brittle and generally stay in the middle or neck positions. Not on this one, though. All three positions sound great, clean or overdriven. And the top, well, let's just say that the pictures do not do it justice. The weight is perfect between 8.25 & 8.5 lbs.

a8_3.jpg

31_3.jpg

f3_3.jpg

I think that might be one of my old ones, I'll check my pics tonight and see. I've had 3 320's and all sounded and played great.

Yeah, it was the top that inspired me to pull the trigger. I figured that as long as it hadn't been modded, I would not be unhappy. So far, I've not been disappointed at all.

Tubedog, I would be very interested to know if this is one of your old ones. If so, please share any history.

I just want to expand on my original posting. This guitar is unreal. I took it to my first practice this past weekend, and even through the crappy practice amp I was using, it sounded phenomenal. I also just made a trade for a killer Gibson R8. This LS-320 is every bit the guitar that the R8 is. The Tokai plays a little better right now, but I haven't had a chance to really fiddle with the setup of the R8 yet. I'm still debating whether or not to swap out the Seth Lovers for my Tom Holmes PAF's. I'd really like to hear the Tom Holmes in it, but the Seth Lovers just sound right. You know, sometimes you just don't know what you don't know. Before the 320, I thought some of my other guitars played and sounded great, but now I'm not so sure. I would not hesitate to recommend the 320 over any other similar guitars, Gibson included. I know the 320 isn't an inexpensive guitar, but IMHO, it is worth far more than I paid.

That's sounding so good - should I give buckwild's guitar a try ...??? :wink:

Congrats - she's so beautiful !!! :lol:

Roger

I briefly considered buying buckwild's. I bought this one a week before he put his up for sale. The only reason I decided against it is his is very similar to mine. I don't mind having similar guitars, but these just seem to me to be too close. Instead, I pulled the trigger on a LS-120 Reborn Old to give me some variety.

I do not know buckwild, nor have I played his 320. But from the way he describes it and the pictures and his reputation, I would expect it to be very similar in tone and playability to mine.

I can honestly say that, knowing what I know now after owning my 320 just for a few short weeks, that if I didn't already have one, I would beg, borrow, steal, sell multiple guitars, etc. Whatever it took to get that 320, I would do, it's just that good. Remember, I paid a little bit more than buckwild's asking, and I do not regret it one bit. Definately worth more (to me, anyway) than I paid.

tudor said:
That's sounding so good - should I give buckwild's guitar a try ...??? :wink:

Congrats - she's so beautiful !!! :lol:

Roger

I think you should, :D

Back