Normal STP vs Wrap-around STP

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudor

Reaction score
Guys,

what are the differences between both of them ??

I've tried the wrap-around with a normal Alu STP - the strings have been bended extremely on the backside, is that usual ??

Thnx

Roger

This has been debated hot and heavily on the Les Paul Forum.

I've never tried "top-wrapping" my strings over the TP. It looks wierd to me.

Supposedly, top-wrapping:
1. Allows you to bend strings easier
2. Allows you to drop the TP all the way down to the body and still have the strings not touch the backside of the bridge.

Some people will say that #2 gives you "better tone".
Some people will say they cannot hear a difference.
Some people like the easier string bending.

Thanx - must I have a special "wrap-around-tailpiece" ??

I did it today with my normal one, but it seems that the strings won't bear it very long ... 8)

Roger

Works fine with a normal tailpiece Roger.

I tried it on my SG and I can see why it works (for bending and so on) but I just didn't like it - it feels strange under you hand when muting.

I know someone that uses this method - it has made a mess of his tailpiece over a relatively short period of time.

try it, go back and forth between a top wraped and straight through guitar if you can, and make your decision... break angle will be different, so will tension, some people love it, others dont care for it.

I myself dont use it.

Main issue is: test it and see what works and sounds best to you...

tudor said:
Thanx - must I have a special "wrap-around-tailpiece" ??

I did it today with my normal one, but it seems that the strings won't bear it very long ... 8)

Roger

There's a trick to this. Cut the ball ends off you old set of strings and thread them onto your new strings. Now string up your tailpiece to top wrapping. The coils at the bottom of the strings are now clear of the bendy region.

some time ago someone posted a picture in which you could clearly see what paladin just described (using the old ball ends to keep the thicker coiled part of the tring from bending), maybe if you do a search about wraparound it'll show up...

Thanks, guys,

frpax, Paul, Jouko, Bruno, Paladin ... I appreciate your help !!! :lol: :lol:

So, a short review of my efforts:

Ups:
There seems to be a little more sustain, the attack is less ? sounds pleasant for the clean and crunch tones, more sleeky ? the tones of the guitar are darker and less brittle ? good for those guitars which provide a brighter sound.
? and in some way the strings feel softer.
The bendings are smooth and simple. It was remarkable that the tone was really smacking like the old PAFs do ? the ?85s Dimarzios did their job without ?50s wiring ? great!!
The basses were growling in the crunched and distorted mod ? a great experience in my opinion, and I love that tone. The strings sound like you?re playing ?slapping style? ? the attack should be less hard when playing chords.

Downs:

The risk of injury will be avoided if you use the advice of Paladin to use the ball ends of the old strings ? Thanks ? that was very useful! :lol:
The tuning of the strings expects more time and accuracy especially when you have restrung the guitar.

Overall I must confess ? I was really impressed by this mod ? no need to change it in the near future !

Roger

i think the normal tailpieces don't have quite the right shape for a wrap around true to the original juniors and 59 users who do this...the original tailpiece has more of a point on the top, so there is sharper contact over the tail..dont know if it makes a difference or not...i know there are aftermarket tails which have more of a correct shape...gottfried can you enlighten us re this?

the point or "lump" on top is considered by some to reduce the angle the strings get to the saddles, don't if it really makes "real" difference though...

I love the "wraparound"
I think better sustain, due to the fact of the direct coupling to the body & the ease of bending!!!

Just done it to my LS-70F and also was introduced to it a year or so ago when I got a lightweight stop piece for my G....n LP Jr from Pigtail.com (expensive)

LP Jr

ICAM0112.jpg

Tokai LS-70F

PA040136.jpg

villager said:
...i know there are aftermarket tails which have more of a correct shape...gottfried can you enlighten us re this?

Yep, villager, thanks for your comments.
Therefore, my Faber Tailpieces have an edge along the middle.

pict4261largegl8.jpg

Here in ideal combination with my pat. Faber Kit.

after2largevh4.jpg

Togps, I've been thinking about buying your Faber kit recently. How much is the aluminium version of the kit, shipped to the UK?

Tried the wrapparound for a few months.. and didn?t notice any significant difference in the sound... sustain is about the same, it seems.. just the strings felt much more easier to bend... which is a plus... but.. went back to the usual wrapping.. actually the tailpiece?s back and top was beginning to suffer from the wraparound.. so.. I think I will keep the strings the usual way from now on.

Alpedra said:
actually the tailpiece?s back and top was beginning to suffer from the wraparound.. so.. I think I will keep the strings the usual way from now on.

Yes, I noticed that too after only a few days with the top wrap. The strings cut into the bottom of the TP quite badly and made some light marks on the top.

togps - PM replied 8)

I have tone pros tp posts that tighten down and really help sustain. I have tail wrapped for a long time and I do it to all of my guitars. If you worry about the tail piece damage , you can allways replace it at a latter date. It makes a big diff in the way a guitar looks and feels, I've never had a problem with string breakage. I love it!

Mark :D

Back