japanguitars.co.uk

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellangus

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just bought a OBG SG 61 reissue from Mark at Japanguitars, and feel compelled to let everybody know just how good the service from Mark was. (Bear with this, it's a long one).

Originally I was looking to buy a Gibson 61 re-issue I had seen on ebay for somewhere in the region of ?700 - ?800 second hand. Luckily I read a feature on Mark and his wares in a guitarist mag the same week.

I checked the site www.japanguitars.co.uk and spotted a lovey 1990 SG exactly like the Gibson I was chasing, the major difference other than the logo on the headstock was the price. A saving of around ?300.

I gave Mark a ring. He took the time to give me the full details at great length of the OBG brand, how it came about, the construction, the woods, the hardware, pickups etc. I was fully convinced, this guy really knows his stuff.

I paid the money into his account on Saturday and the gorgeous gleaming cherry red SG was in my mitts on Tuesday morning, very well packed I might add.

This guitar is in absoloutely fabulous condition, like a new shop bought job, remember this guitar is 16 years old, only very light tell-tale tarnishing on the pickup covers (tarnishing is probaby too strong a word in fact).

No fret wear at all, I think this guitar has hardly been played, but what a player it is, as good if not better than any Gibbo I've played, but then you all probably know that anyway.

The only thing was, the pickups in it were not 57 classics, but were in fact the much sought after Gibson Bill Lawrence designed "The Original" HB-L and HB-R's with the circuit board bases.

I contacted Mark again who identified them for me (and gave me a breif history of them, such knowledge).

He said he would happily swap them for 57 Classics. I decided to stick with them, but changed my mind over the next week, not because there was anything wrong with them, far from it, tey sound extremely good, it was just because originally I wanted an SG with 57's.

I phoned him again on Monday, only to find that he had just sold the 57's he had acouple of days before, but said he would try and find me another pair, and to give him until the end of the week.

later that evening, I received an email from him telling me that he had a pair, but they were open coils, I replied saying I would prefer Nickel covers, he offered to swap the covers of mine, I declined because I wanted them wax potted. Off he went again, a couple of hours later, another email arrived saying he had got a covered pair. I replied with a thankful YES PLEASE.

I whipped out the pickups from my SG, sent them to him yesterday vis Special delivery, I have just spoken to Mark, he received them this morning, and the 57 C's were posted back to me Special Delivery this morning, looking forward to getting them tomorrow (Thurs).

What an after sales service, Fantastic!!

What a very helpful chap, answered all my questions, nothing was too much trouble.

I imagine that most of you guys already know about japanguitars.co.uk but if not I would strongly recommend you visit his site, word is spreading fast!!

Thanks again Mark,

I'll be back when I have enough for an LP Jnr in TV yellow.

Told you it was a long one.

Congrats on your SG!

You did the right thing (IMO) in getting the '57s.
". . .the much sought after Gibson Bill Lawrence designed "The Original" HB-L and HB-R's with the circuit board bases" don't sound very good to me, and offhand I can't think of anyone who favors them. They might be "much sought after" to use as refrigerator magnets. :wink:

At any rate, enjoy!

Yes I agree with villager, they're really not bad at all, just more of a hard rock edge, but I do prefer the 57's. I love this guitar.

Back