Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Talbo Revisited...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigmike
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: My Talbo Revisited... Reply with quote

Greetings !!

To some of you old time posters I apologize for my absence, I have looked in on ya'll but not posted. So hello, and to those who don't know me I hope you're finding cool gear you want.

Back about a year ago I bought this Tokai Talbo from Music Ground in LEEDS... Very nice people. Well never to be satisfied I kept seeing really nicely inlaid guitars for sale on eBay. INLAIDARTIST and BRUCEWEI are a couple of notable people selling - my impression is their inlay work is very nice, but they're on a learning curve when it comes to making GOOD guitars - or what we fanatics would consider good (and playable). BUT you can't go wrong with them for inlaid goods like pickguards, fingerboards, headstock overlays and the like...

One night I found this great rosewood inlaid neck on eBay. I got it for $125.00 with EMS to the States. Ten days later it's on my doorstep. I had my local tech customize the blank end to fit the Talbo - actually for the sake of brevity he did that and a really very good setup and cleaning of all electronics. It was a great guitar - now it's beautiful and a screamer... I did NOTHING to the body and still have the stock neck should I ever want to sell it's a quick swapback of necks...

The below photo also includes my 1897 Washburn parlor guitar - in this case this was a $25.00 inlaid fingerboard and headstock overlay. The photo does NO JUSTICE to the subtle beauty of the inlay - it's a combination of MOP and Abalone... really nice scrimshaw too.

a slightly better shot of the work:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: